Poll: Does relying on real-time AI translation erode our cognitive skills? Objavljivač niti: ProZ.com Staff
|
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Does relying on real-time AI translation erode our cognitive skills?".
View the poll results »
| | | | | How the heck would I know ... | Oct 9 |
... if I do not, and will not, as a matter of principle, "rely on real-time AI translation" for anything?
JL | | | | Thayenga Nemačka Local time: 16:01 Član (2009) engleski na nemački + ...
Not even in my most audacious dreams would I even consider such a foolishness.
Customers even explicitly ask for human translations and will not accept any MT products. If I'm not mistaken, then AI is not human.
Btw. has anybody noticed that this is yet another AI related question? Taking the chance of repeating myself, how boring. | | | |
Does reading Proz poll questions erode our will to live?
Answers:
a) Yes
b) Yes, only more so. | | |
|
|
|
I don’t want to skip the mental effort and for the moment I don’t need to free up brainpower.
 | | | | Hipyan Nopri Indonezija Local time: 21:01 engleski na indonezijski + ... | A discussion partner, not a replacement | Oct 9 |
I voted for the fourth option.
In my own experience, the effect depends largely on how the tool is used.
If AI output is accepted without question, I can see how a translator’s skills might gradually weaken.
However, when I treat AI as a discussion partner, questioning its suggestions, checking terminology against reliable sources, and weighing alternative renderings, I find that it actually sharpens my critical thinking and broadens my knowledge. ... See more I voted for the fourth option.
In my own experience, the effect depends largely on how the tool is used.
If AI output is accepted without question, I can see how a translator’s skills might gradually weaken.
However, when I treat AI as a discussion partner, questioning its suggestions, checking terminology against reliable sources, and weighing alternative renderings, I find that it actually sharpens my critical thinking and broadens my knowledge.
I also compare the output of two different AI tools, since each has its own strengths and weaknesses.
Sometimes one offers the better rendering or term, and sometimes the other does, so I still have to evaluate both and decide for myself.
In the end, the responsibility for every word and every decision remains with the translator, and I believe that is exactly where it should stay. ▲ Collapse | | | | To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator: You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request » Poll: Does relying on real-time AI translation erode our cognitive skills? | Pastey | Your smart companion app
Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.
Find out more » |
| | Protemos translation business management system | Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!
The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.
More info » |
|
| | | | X Sign in to your ProZ.com account... | | | | | |