Gyula Erdesz
Hungary
Local time: 06:16
Member (2009)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jul 25, 2012

Dear colleagues,

I have been testing XTM Clound for several weeks and I like the freedom, responsiveness and power it offers. On the other hand, I do not really get the concept of the translation resource handling.

Each TM and termbase should be assigned to a client. This is fine and clear as long as you don't use your own termbases and your client assigns only one topic to you. But what if you would like to use your own glossary or your client sends you jobs in more th
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I have been testing XTM Clound for several weeks and I like the freedom, responsiveness and power it offers. On the other hand, I do not really get the concept of the translation resource handling.

Each TM and termbase should be assigned to a client. This is fine and clear as long as you don't use your own termbases and your client assigns only one topic to you. But what if you would like to use your own glossary or your client sends you jobs in more than one field? In such cases do I really need to create a client with the name "own" and my clients with the names "clientX_topicY, clientX_topicZ"?

Did I miss something? Is there a more straightforward way to handle your databases in XTM?

Thank you in advance for your inputs.

Regards,

Gyula
Collapse

XTM Intl
XTM Intl
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:16
Re: Jul 25, 2012

Hello Gyula,

In order to have the TMs seperated by fields you have to create a seperate Customer account, just like you described.
However, you can choose several TMs, which you want to be used for a given project, while creating the project. Now XTM enables you also to choose Terminologies of different Customers, so that your Project database is even bigger.

Thank you for your comment! We appreciate it and will keep this matter in mind!

Hope
... See more
Hello Gyula,

In order to have the TMs seperated by fields you have to create a seperate Customer account, just like you described.
However, you can choose several TMs, which you want to be used for a given project, while creating the project. Now XTM enables you also to choose Terminologies of different Customers, so that your Project database is even bigger.

Thank you for your comment! We appreciate it and will keep this matter in mind!

Hope you will continue to enjoy working with XTM Cloud.

XTM Support Team.
Collapse

Srdjan Stepanovic
Srdjan Stepanovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2007)
English to Serbian
+ ...
RE: Termbase handling issue as well Aug 2, 2012

This is not convenient for me as well. I consider it a basic functionality of any CAT tool which unfortunately is not implemented in XTM. As you mentioned, it is all fine as long as you are working on one subject field but if client sends you a completely different subject field to translate you cannot create a separate termbase or TM, they will be merged. So the only solution is to create a separate customer for different subject fields, which is not helping at all. I subscribed hoping to make ... See more
This is not convenient for me as well. I consider it a basic functionality of any CAT tool which unfortunately is not implemented in XTM. As you mentioned, it is all fine as long as you are working on one subject field but if client sends you a completely different subject field to translate you cannot create a separate termbase or TM, they will be merged. So the only solution is to create a separate customer for different subject fields, which is not helping at all. I subscribed hoping to make my jobs easier and not the other way round What's more, they are not even considering changing this :/

This is what I got from their customer support:

"I'm afraid, we will not implement it in the future, because we know from our experience (looking at functionality of other tools) that it causes much more problems than expected - some users don't remember where is the terminology they're looking for, because they have so many terminologies uploaded."

I suggested they implement a simple option to do so if you want, but I got no answer. I will keep using my subscription until it expires and if this is not implemented in future, I am afraid I will have to cancel it and look elswhere. Sorry.

Srdjan
Collapse

Gyula Erdesz
Gyula Erdesz
Hungary
Member (2009)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One tool for two different purposes Aug 2, 2012

My two cents (sorry for the harsh opinion)

I think XTM Cloud is mainly for LSPs and for freelance translators who work on the LSP's projects prepared by the project manager. It is a very (cost) effective and scalable tool for them, indeed.

The case is a bit different if you are an independent translator and you need to prepare your own projects and handle your databases: XTM means less advantage for you.

A typical problem of one-fits-all tools.

... See more
My two cents (sorry for the harsh opinion)

I think XTM Cloud is mainly for LSPs and for freelance translators who work on the LSP's projects prepared by the project manager. It is a very (cost) effective and scalable tool for them, indeed.

The case is a bit different if you are an independent translator and you need to prepare your own projects and handle your databases: XTM means less advantage for you.

A typical problem of one-fits-all tools.

Regards,

Gyula

@Srdjan:
No matter what XTM says, client based TM and terminology handling is a real mess and does not reflects the freelance translators' needs at all.
Collapse

Thank you for your feedback Aug 2, 2012

Hi Guyala and Srdjan,

Thank you for your comments. Your feedback is very important to us. We will add your suggestions to our road map. We have a detailed and ambitious development plan for XTM and are pleased to announce that we will be implementing this functionality within the next 12 months.

Best Regards,

Andrzej Zydroń

CTO XTM-INTL

Srdjan Stepanovic
Srdjan Stepanovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2007)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Hi Andrzej, Aug 3, 2012

Thanks for the support, that would be great!

@Gyula

I experimented a bit with xtm terminology module and managed to find an ad hoc solution to terminology management, though a dedicated option would be better For example, when creating terminology out of the excel files, you can simply add a "Remarks" column next to source and target languages. Then you can populate it with term base name, like this:
... See more
Thanks for the support, that would be great!

@Gyula

I experimented a bit with xtm terminology module and managed to find an ad hoc solution to terminology management, though a dedicated option would be better For example, when creating terminology out of the excel files, you can simply add a "Remarks" column next to source and target languages. Then you can populate it with term base name, like this:

Project 1

Source Target Remarks

xxx yyy TermBase name 1
-------------------------------

Project 2

Source Target Remarks

xxx yyy TermBase name 2
--------------------------------

This way you can create different terminologies for different projects. If same term appears more than once throughout different subject fields, then you can identify the subject field by looking at the remarks field of the terminology pop-up. However, I am not sure if you can export a standalone termbase (just terms for a specific project).

Hope it helps,

Srdjan
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

XTM Cloud - TM and termbase handling

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »