Thread poster: Richard Purdom
Richard Purdom
Richard Purdom  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:41
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jun 12, 2023

I've been using memoQ since 2013, and was quite happy with it. However, I decided it was time to install the latest version, and I was looking forward to quite a lot of improvements over the decade.
What a let-down. I can see no obvious improvements at all as a translator just wanting ease of use. The same features are scattered along a ribbon, but are now harder to find. Same tiny windows top right with TM matches that you have to click to read if you want to see more than 5 words.
... See more
I've been using memoQ since 2013, and was quite happy with it. However, I decided it was time to install the latest version, and I was looking forward to quite a lot of improvements over the decade.
What a let-down. I can see no obvious improvements at all as a translator just wanting ease of use. The same features are scattered along a ribbon, but are now harder to find. Same tiny windows top right with TM matches that you have to click to read if you want to see more than 5 words.
Simple operations such as searching for a word in the TM should be easy, but no, you have to open the edit feature, still. There is a search feature, but as far as I can see it can only be used outside memoQ (?!). Why's that Kilgray??

As for the dreadful online explanation of this tool, it is appallingly written. Can't they get a native with minimal proficiency to write or translate their blurb? Or if that's too much get ChatGPT to do the job? For example,

'When you open the memoQ TM search tool, and you use a TM for your search, and at the same time you want to use the same TM in memoQ, that TM cannot be opened and cannot be used... If you open memoQ first, and then want to use the open TMs in the memoQ TM search tool, then these TMs cannot be used in the search. You will get a warning message.'

Anyone understand that?

Raise your game Kilgray.
Collapse

Marina Aleyeva

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 13:41
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Convoluted and clumsy sentence Jun 12, 2023

Yes, it's a convoluted and clumsy sentence.

Generally in CAT tools, the only thing that's improved in upgrades is their price (it's higher), everything else stays the same. I see this with every Trados upgrade.

Grigori Gazarian
Yaotl Altan
Yossi Rozenman

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
An alternative to editing the TM Jun 12, 2023

Richard Purdom wrote:
Simple operations such as searching for a word in the TM should be easy, but no, you have to open the edit feature, still. There is a search feature, but as far as I can see it can only be used outside memoQ (?!). Why's that Kilgray??

You might see that you can easily do that using the Concordance feature (Ctrl+K)... With the current release, you can even search in the source and in the target very easily and filter in different ways. Give it a try!
As for whether there has been any improvement in memoQ since 2013... I clearly disagree and would strongly encourage you to check for the actual improvements in each new release and try them with your projects. I am very satisfied with memoQ's progression since I began using it in 2009!

John Fossey
Nadia Silva Castro
Thomas T. Frost
Rita Translator

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Which Jun 12, 2023

Richard Purdom wrote:
I've been using memoQ since 2013, and was quite happy with it. However, I decided it was time to install the latest version, and I was looking forward to...

Which version was your previous version -- the one that you were happy with?

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just my two cents Jun 12, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:
Generally in CAT tools, the only thing that's improved in upgrades is their price (it's higher), everything else stays the same.

While this could be true with other tools (I would now know precisely since I do not use other tools), this is clearly not the case with memoQ. memoQ Translator Pro's list price is EUR 620 (after the first year, EUR 124 to have support and access to the newest releases).

If we divide the list price by workdays, we are talking about 2,5 euros per day. For EUR 2.5 euros per day, you have the tool to gain (a lot) of productivity compared to translating without a CAT tool or with cheap free tools, stay consistent and reactive for your clients, and keep quality high. After the first year, it's just 50 cents per workday! Pretty affordable if you ask me...

Thomas T. Frost
Marijke Singer

Richard Purdom
Richard Purdom  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:41
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Concordance Jun 12, 2023

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT wrote:

Richard Purdom wrote:

You might see that you can easily do that using the Concordance feature (Ctrl+K)... With the current release, you can even search in the source and in the target very easily and filter in different ways. Give it a try!
As for whether there has been any improvement in memoQ since 2013... I clearly disagree and would strongly encourage you to check for the actual improvements in each new release and try them with your projects. I am very satisfied with memoQ's progression since I began using it in 2009!

Thanks, this feature is exactly what I was looking for. If you hadn't told me I'd probably never have found it!

For others, I've been using memoQ 2013, one of the issues I was having was that it wouldn't import TBs from SDL packages, that's now resolved in any case.

Nadia Silva Castro
Nadia Silva Castro
United States
English to German
+ ...
Useful features Jun 12, 2023

I am using memoQ 9.9 which is not the latest version but it does have a few really nice features. My favorite would be that when you enter a word in the Filter search bar, it will highlight all occurrences (previously, it would only filter out the segments and it was up to us to find the particular expression).

I heard in the newest upgrade, the TM is supposed to load a bit quicker (it is super slow right now, just to be able to see which TMs are hooked up)

I did not bu
... See more
I am using memoQ 9.9 which is not the latest version but it does have a few really nice features. My favorite would be that when you enter a word in the Filter search bar, it will highlight all occurrences (previously, it would only filter out the segments and it was up to us to find the particular expression).

I heard in the newest upgrade, the TM is supposed to load a bit quicker (it is super slow right now, just to be able to see which TMs are hooked up)

I did not buy the upgrade yet because I'm looking for a larger client who would let me use this tool, it's my favorite but currently I cannot justify the investment
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:41
English to Russian
Upgrades Jun 12, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:
Generally in CAT tools, the only thing that's improved in upgrades is their price (it's higher), everything else stays the same. I see this with every Trados upgrade.
Until you come across a problem like these:

Both issues were caused by an outdated version.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Outdated UI design Jun 13, 2023

Richard Purdom wrote:

Same tiny windows top right with TM matches that you have to click to read if you want to see more than 5 words.

The same goes for terms and MT suggestions.

The user interface of memoQ was designed when the focus was on using suggestions from one or two databases. Today, we use a variety of MT engines, online terminology resources and ... still ... TMs.

I abandoned memoQ because of its rigid UI with tiny fonts, heavy reliance on databases, and of course the annual license fee.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I like the results panel as it is! Jun 13, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:
The user interface of memoQ was designed when the focus was on using suggestions from one or two databases. Today, we use a variety of MT engines, online terminology resources and ... still ... TMs.

But among the results pane you have while translating in the grid, you also get MT results from as many engines as you wish to use. All your resources are neatly organised there.

To it is very nice to have all information in one place for me to examine and evaluate (I can easily scroll through them with Ctrl+arrow keys to see their details; no need to use the mouse).

Thomas T. Frost

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No need to click 'em! Jun 13, 2023

Richard Purdom wrote:
Same tiny windows top right with TM matches that you have to click to read if you want to see more than 5 words.

But you can easily scroll through them (no need to use the mouse) with Ctrl+Arrow keys!

Also, you can resize the results pane, change its font to whatever works for you, etc. Of couse in complex projects with many resources the pane will contain a lot of information. If this is the case for you very often (it is for me), it pays to get a large screen and play with resolutions and font sizes so that you can see plenty of information in one go.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Nadia Jun 13, 2023

Nadia Silva Castro wrote:
I heard in the newest upgrade, the TM is supposed to load a bit quicker (it is super slow right now, just to be able to see which TMs are hooked up).

If by "load" you mean that the results appear, then I'm sorry, but MemoQ 10.1 has the same problem: it takes 1-2 seconds for the TM matches and other results to appear in the pane. Scrolling down through the segments is also slow: if I click underneath the scroll bar, nothing happens for 1 second, and then the segments scroll.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not my experience Jun 13, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:
If by "load" you mean that the results appear, then I'm sorry, but MemoQ 10.1 has the same problem: it takes 1-2 seconds for the TM matches and other results to appear in the pane.

This would depend on several main factors:
- Your own computer's/disk's/storage speed (or even your resolution/power of graphic card+controllers)
- Whether the resources or the project itself are online -> your Internet connection speed/connection speed at the memoQ server's location
- Whether you have enabled MT engines (they can take their time)
- The size of the resources (from my experience, this delay only happens with TMs with over 300K-400K segments)
- The size of the file/view you are working on (more often, delays happen when you confirm in views made up of very many files or many thousands of segments)

I never experience delays of 2 seconds. I do experience delays when unfavourable factors get combined, like: the TM is very large, it sits remotely, the project has very many little files, the MT engine is not very reactive...

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
I don't like scrolling Jun 13, 2023

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT wrote:

To it is very nice to have all information in one place for me to examine and evaluate (I can easily scroll through them with Ctrl+arrow keys to see their details; no need to use the mouse).

I don't like scrolling via mouse or keyboard shortcuts. I want to see all results immediately and completely: my screens are big enough to display everything ...

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Hans Jun 13, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:
I want to see all results immediately and completely: my screens are big enough to display everything ...

Yes, "completely".... this is what MemoQ's TM match pane looks like on my computer. Tthere is ample space to display the entire text of the five fuzzy matches, but MemoQ insists on displaying the matches in such a way that I have to click with my mouse inside each match individually to be able to see the whole text of each match.

memoq tm matches

Hans Lenting
Richard Purdom

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disappointed with MemoQ

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »