Greece
Local time: 10:44
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Not who they used to be Jun 13, 2023

Richard Purdom wrote:

Raise your game Kilgray.

It's not who they used to be. It's not the good old Kilgray. Now they only seem to improve the online products, which are aimed at large corporations. That's where the big money is, so it is not even worth complaining. I have stopped reporting bugs or suggesting improvements. They don't, and won't, care. Not their current team, anyway.

Magnus Rubensson

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:44
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
They improve the installed versions Jun 13, 2023

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:
Now they only seem to improve the online products, which are aimed at large corporations.

Not my experience: I have been using installed memoQ/memoQ Server since 2009 and see improvements and corrections in every version.

Thomas T. Frost
Michael Beijer

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:44
Danish to English
+ ...
Many improvements of Translator Pro Jun 13, 2023

Richard Purdom wrote:

Raise your game Kilgray.

It's not who they used to be. It's not the good old Kilgray. Now they only seem to improve the online products, which are aimed at large corporations. That's where the big money is, so it is not even worth complaining. I have stopped reporting bugs or suggesting improvements. They don't, and won't, care. Not their current team, anyway.

They implemented an Ideas programme and portal a couple of years ago to ask users what they would like to see improved. Many of the suggestions have been implemented already.

If you don't follow what is actually going on, you may be left with the impression that nothing is being improved, but reality is different.

[Edited at 2023-06-13 13:09 GMT]

Michael Beijer

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:44
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just a feeling Jun 13, 2023

To me, the issues raised in this forum about Kilgray's performance or memoQ's nature seem more a matter of lack of information and/or personal taste and/or personal desires for an ideal CAT tool... It is all good when it comes to one's opinions and all are interesting, but the comments remind me of that good old what-have-the-Romans-ever-done-for-us sketch...

No offense intended, folks!
Tomás from the People's Front of MemoQ

Thomas T. Frost
Michael Beijer
tabor

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Delay before translation results Jun 13, 2023

[quote]Samuel Murray wrote:

Nadia Silva Castro wrote:
If by "load" you mean that the results appear, then I'm sorry, but MemoQ 10.1 has the same problem: it takes 1-2 seconds for the TM matches and other results to appear in the pane. Scrolling down through the segments is also slow: if I click underneath the scroll bar, nothing happens for 1 second, and then the segments scroll.

You can set the delay before showing translation results to 0 in the settings pane that opens if you double-click on the eye next to 'Translation results'.

In a local project with one of Microsoft's term bases attached, I get the translation results in less than a second. Scrolling, on the other hand can be a bit slow, I agree.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
My fault, then Jun 13, 2023

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT wrote:

To me, the issues raised in this forum about Kilgray's performance or memoQ's nature seem more a matter of lack of information and/or personal taste and/or personal desires for an ideal CAT tool...

Then, it must be my fault that the grid is slower than molasses and has been this way for more than a decade. Good to know. Thanks.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
hmm Jun 13, 2023

To me, the issues raised in this forum about Kilgray's performance or memoQ's nature seem more a matter of lack of information and/or personal taste and/or personal desires for an ideal CAT tool...

Then, it must be my fault that the grid is slower than molasses and has been this way for more than a decade. Good to know. Thanks.

I used to have the same problem, which had existed for years, but at some point, they said they had tried to speed it up, and as far as I can tell they succeeded … since my grid has been scrolling quite fast for a few years now. Not as fast as Trados, but totally fine.

I do have a pretty powerful laptop though, with fast SSDs, which might be why my grid scrolls faster than yours.

Device name PRECISION7740
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz
Installed RAM 64.0 GB (63.8 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I have used every CAT tool under the sun, and then some, and always come back to memoQ, as I find it pretty much perfect in its current state. Make sure you have a large monitor though.

Also, as Thomas noted, they are actually listening and implementing ideas we post over on their Ideas website: https://ideas.memoq.com/

Perhaps not quite at the same rate as the corporate side, but then again that's understandable as they make a lot more money there (I assume).

[Edited at 2023-06-13 12:51 GMT]

PS: the latest version of memoQ even has Full ‘Select-and-Say’ functionality with Dragon 16, which can't be said of many other CAT tools!

[Edited at 2023-06-13 12:54 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Absolutely Jun 13, 2023

Yes, it’s a matter of personal preferences. But isn’t that what it is all about?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
my personal take on memoQ's specific way of showing resources in Translation results pane Jun 13, 2023

Here's my personal take on memoQ's specific way of displaying resources in its Translation results pane, which, incidentally, Memsource seems to have stolen when it first appeared.

While some people complain that not enough text is shown in each of the little boxes, I’ve always seen that as a bonus point of the memoQ layout, a way of saving space. I’ve always loved the memoQ layout: a good grid on the left with the memoQ-style Translation results pane on the right. I can also q
... See more
Here's my personal take on memoQ's specific way of displaying resources in its Translation results pane, which, incidentally, Memsource seems to have stolen when it first appeared.

While some people complain that not enough text is shown in each of the little boxes, I’ve always seen that as a bonus point of the memoQ layout, a way of saving space. I’ve always loved the memoQ layout: a good grid on the left with the memoQ-style Translation results pane on the right. I can also quickly reveal the entire text in the Translation results by moving through the boxes with Ctrl+Up/Down.

Also note that you can detach the Translation results pane and stick it on a second monitor, and thus show ALL text in the text boxes.

This system (a) allows more resources to be shown, and (b) also creates more space for your grid.

Also, if you have a sufficiently large monitor with a decent resolution (not too high though!), you will also find that not much text will get truncated anyway, unless you’re dealing with gigantic TM segments.

Having said all of this, I think it would be nice to be able to resize all of the little boxes in the Translation results pane individually, which I myself would use to occasionally make the TM/MT boxes slightly bigger. If I have a moment, I’ll post this as an idea over on the memoQ Ideas portal.

Also note though that you can already pull the divider between the Grid and the Translation results pane to the left or right, which will increase (or decrease) the amount of text shown in the little boxes.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Different experience Jun 13, 2023

I have stopped reporting bugs or suggesting improvements. They don't, and won't, care. Not their current team, anyway.
There was a bug in memoQ: when you import a list of terms from Excel into memoQ, it couldn't recognize forbidden terms highlighted in red in Excel. A friend of mine reported of that bug. They replied that the issue was of low priority, maybe we fix it one day, maybe not. And it was fixed by memoQ 9.13 (this feature had never worked before Nov 2022 even though it was documented).

[Edited at 2023-06-13 22:23 GMT]

Yaotl Altan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disappointed with MemoQ

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »