Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:49
English to Turkish
The English Jan 3, 2023

Tom in London wrote:
More horrible English things

This reminds me, I watched that BBC mini series "The English" last weekend, it was one of the best things I've watched in a long time (in years maybe). You may dislike the "English', but "you gotta love" that one.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:49
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Try reading Jan 3, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

Ice Scream wrote:
"Sucks to be you"

I remember that one... Another disgusting American expression from those times is "Own"/"Getting owned", as in "I own you dude!", "Got owned" etc.
Having settled down to a middle-aged life for quite sometime now, I've lost touch with the lingo/internet jargon of younger generations, and, frankly, I've no interest in familiarizing myself with them.

Try reading George Saunders. He's a genius with the lingo/internet jargon of younger generations:

"Yes, Suzanne said. We also have a pool. You should come over this summer. It’s cool if you swim with your shirt on. And also, yes to there being something to us. You are by far the most insightful boy in our class. Even when I take into consideration the boys I knew in Montreal, I am just like: No one can compare."

Begin here maybe: https://tinyurl.com/2fzkzfdj

41t4z4970gL

[Edited at 2023-01-03 15:52 GMT]

Baran Keki

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Getting a life Jan 3, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

No- Greta Thunberg is Swedish and thinks it's still a current expression.

But "get a life" is still current!

Whether as translators or as ESL teachers in this forum, we cannot simply deny a usage based on our personal distaste...

Philip Lees
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
IrinaN
Joe France
Michael Newton
Kay Denney
Becca Resnik

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:49
Japanese to English
+ ...
cliches Jan 4, 2023

I thought Greta Thunberg's favorite expression was "Bla, bla, bla".

Tom in London
expressisverbis
Kay Denney

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
cliches Jan 4, 2023

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "it is what it is". This seems to have crossed the language barrier as I recently heard in a
Spanish [European] telenovela: "es lo que es".

"Drop the mic!" , talk show hosts in the US will say this when someone has said something unusual pithy or something which totally captures the situation. Surprise, astonishment. "You nailed it!"

As for "Hi guys". Feminists will take offense as they are not "guys".
In France: Bonjour
... See more
I'm surprised no one has mentioned "it is what it is". This seems to have crossed the language barrier as I recently heard in a
Spanish [European] telenovela: "es lo que es".

"Drop the mic!" , talk show hosts in the US will say this when someone has said something unusual pithy or something which totally captures the situation. Surprise, astonishment. "You nailed it!"

As for "Hi guys". Feminists will take offense as they are not "guys".
In France: Bonjour a toutes et a tous.
In Spain: "Buenos dias a todas, a todos y a todes". Don't know about "todes". Perhaps it is for non-binaries or for people who have not yet made up their mind about who they are.

Noch einmal "going forward". In the US this has taken on an almost jocose, roll-your-eyes meaning.

VP Kamala Harris: "I intend to examine the border crisis going forward and solve once and for all the reason for illegal immigration" (in other words, when pigs fly).

The Catholic Church: "The Church takes these allegations very seriously. The Church will establish a special commission to examine this pressing problem and, going forward, will present the results, at a time and in a manner deemed by the Church to be suitable and appropriate so that the situation is not repeated (yawn).

A certain head of state: "I appreciate the concern of the American people and, going forward, will do everything in my power, to bring back prices to the pre-inflation level". (Yeah, right. Sorry another cliche!)
Collapse

expressisverbis

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
semi OT: neither cliché nor idiom ... Jan 4, 2023

... but the ubiquitous usage of the / is very annoying. It is used frequently in our school district and can mean "and," "or," or "and/or." What is wrong with being simple and straightforward? It isn't as though those words or commas were so long that they need a symbol to replace them. It is also used sometimes between unnecessary (redundant) synonyms. As a translator, I have to figure out what the slash is supposed to refer to, or rather, to what the slash is supposed to refer. I didn't end... See more
... but the ubiquitous usage of the / is very annoying. It is used frequently in our school district and can mean "and," "or," or "and/or." What is wrong with being simple and straightforward? It isn't as though those words or commas were so long that they need a symbol to replace them. It is also used sometimes between unnecessary (redundant) synonyms. As a translator, I have to figure out what the slash is supposed to refer to, or rather, to what the slash is supposed to refer. I didn't end that sentence with a preposition!

Examples:
Score/Classification
Parent input/developmental history
Parent/Guardian
English/Math
Parent/teacher/student/administrator
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:49
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
...or what? Jan 5, 2023

Often heart on site and used by a non-native speaker of US American English who had lived in the United States for years before he came back to annoy me with his super impressing accent (he couldn't speak any German at all and was born in the Czech Republic). I wonder whether that expression is especially used when one intends to appear as extra rude, or what?

[Bearbeitet am 2023-01-05 06:11 GMT]

expressisverbis
Michael Newton

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Table Jan 13, 2023

“Table” appears frequently in English expressions/idioms, e.g., on the table/on table, bring to the table, and under the table.

Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
These are correct words, but... Jan 13, 2023

For example, Staffer. This word gives hard time to new English learners. They may wonder, why not "staffee?

Also, a "published" author. This may lead new learners to believe someone else has published articles about this author.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Please explain Jan 13, 2023

jyuan_us wrote:
Also, a "published" author. This may lead new learners to believe someone else has published articles about this author.

How? The meaning is entirely literal.

Baran Keki
Philip Lees
expressisverbis
IrinaN

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The point is Jan 13, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

How? The meaning is entirely literal.

I know "a published author" is a correct usage. My point is that it can be tough for new English learners to understand it.

If someone has published a lot of articles, a new English might think this guy is a "publishing" author, not a "published" author.

Again, I know "published" is the correct usage, and "publishing" is not.

I'm just saying.

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Attendees VS Attenders Jan 13, 2023

jyuan_us wrote:

For example, Staffer. This word gives hard time to new English learners. They may wonder, why not "staffee?

Why are the participants of an event called "attendees" other than “attenders?”

Christopher Schröder

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Logic? Jan 13, 2023

jyuan_us wrote:
I know "a published author" is a correct usage. My point is that it can be tough for new English learners to understand it.

If someone has published a lot of articles, a new English might think this guy is a "publishing" author, not a "published" author.

Again, I know "published" is the correct usage, and "publishing" is not.

I'm just saying.

You may just be saying, but you're not making much sense. Authors don't publish their own books. A publisher does. So the author's work is published. It's entirely 100% unambiguously logical, and should therefore meet your approval based on your more legitimate gripes about -ee/er words!

I would also say that a new learner of English is unlikely to have to worry about attendee or staffer... and that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of more difficult things for a new learner of English to worry about...

Maybe including the meaning of "cliché" and "off topic"

expressisverbis

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Google this Jan 13, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:
Authors don't publish their own books. A publisher does. So the author's work is published. It's entirely 100% unambiguously logical, and should therefore meet your approval based on your more legitimate gripes about -ee/er words!

You may have a point in there, but if you google "I published a book," you will get about 251,000 results. This mean authors DO publish their own books.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Brick wall, meet head Jan 13, 2023

jyuan_us wrote:
You may have a point in there, but if you google "I published a book," you will get about 251,000 results. This mean authors DO publish their own books.

I totally have a point. Published authors don't publish their own books. A publisher does. Authors who self-publish do not count as published authors. The whole point of a published author is that someone has deemed their work good enough to publish. The grammatical meaning of published author is an author published by someone else. I don't know what more I can say/.

The usage "I published a book" sounds very American to me and/or is incorrect, unless it's uttered by a publisher or a self-publisher. It also says "my book was a failure and was probably published by an obscure publisher because it was rubbish", because a proper, successful writer would just say "I wrote a book" without needing to make the point that it was deemed good enough by someone else to be published.

I really should get a life.

[Edited at 2023-01-13 11:20 GMT]

Kay Denney
Baran Keki
Lingua 5B

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What cliches do you dislike the most?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »