Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:44
Japanese to English
+ ...
cliches Dec 29, 2022

Not forgetting

"We take these allegations very seriously".

Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI

Isabelle Rodriguez
Isabelle Rodriguez  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 10:44
Swedish to French
+ ...
I partly agree with you! Dec 29, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Isabelle Rodriguez wrote:

..... you are not humbled, you are PROUD, which is the exact opposite Right?

That's definitely an intolerable cliche.

Pride is one of the seven deadly sins and comes before a fall.

So whenever I read something along the lines of "we are proud of (blah blah blah)" I'm always puzzled as to what they're boasting about. Don't they know they're heading straight for disaster?

[Edited at 2022-12-27 23:12 GMT]

Hi Tom,
I partly agree with you! I won't follow you on the seven deadly sin track, but I should have written HONOURED, not PROUD. I was too quick in my choice of words.

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
cliches Dec 29, 2022

"the takeaway" should be limited to curries and fish and chips.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
MollyRose
Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:44
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Future imperfect Dec 29, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:
"Going forward".

I used to be dead against "going forward", but I have gradually come to feel that it has a place when used to convey the future with an emphasis on temporal contiguity (for want of a better phrase). By that I mean that there are times when you are focusing on a period of time that begins today or tomorrow. For example:

"To reflect higher input costs we made adjustments to our pricing in the second quarter, and going forward we may make further revisions."

This seems to me to be a useful alternative to the following example, which gives no sense of when such actions might be taken.

"To reflect higher input costs we made adjustments to our pricing in the second quarter, and in future we may make further revisions."

"in future" = this year? Next year? A decade hence?

Regards,
Dan

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 11:44
English to Turkish
Going forward Dec 29, 2022

I've mastered my English mostly by watching football and listening to Simon Jordan (LOL)
I've heard the phrase 'going forward' for the first time from Roy Hodgson, who seems to be incapable of running a kebab shop, let alone managing a football team, so I'd very much doubt he's privy to the business lingo, and if 'going forward' is good enough for Hodgson, then it's certainly good enough for me.
Some of the irritating footy cliches:
Rolls Royce (of a player)
Mountain to c
... See more
I've mastered my English mostly by watching football and listening to Simon Jordan (LOL)
I've heard the phrase 'going forward' for the first time from Roy Hodgson, who seems to be incapable of running a kebab shop, let alone managing a football team, so I'd very much doubt he's privy to the business lingo, and if 'going forward' is good enough for Hodgson, then it's certainly good enough for me.
Some of the irritating footy cliches:
Rolls Royce (of a player)
Mountain to climb
On the back of or off the back of (I've never been quite sure about that one, I'd be obliged if a Brit colleague would kindly enlighten me)
An absolute legend! (there seems to be no end to those legends)
Dark arts of defending

[Edited at 2022-12-29 11:33 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Nikolay Novitskiy

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
How could I forget… Dec 31, 2022

“Drop the mic”? This American expression, which once was used by rappers to indicate the end of a battle, has been borrowed by people everywhere and mics are dropping in Portugal…

expressisverbis
Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
And another... Dec 31, 2022

"I for one"- used by annoying people trying to suggest, without a shred of evidence, that millions of people agree with them.

As in

"I for one don't believe that climate change is real"

[Edited at 2022-12-31 13:53 GMT]

expressisverbis
Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
You guys Dec 31, 2022

Another Americanism I assume. English lacks a clear second person plural, so in the southern states, y'all is commonly used (and is insidiously making its way north). "Hi guys", as mentioned above, is a variant, which as far as I can tell is a common way for YouTube videos to begin, no matter the country of origin. Conceivably I might address a group of men as "you guys", but never a mixed group.

Tom in London
Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 17:44
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
@Stepan Jan 2, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

Metin Demirel wrote:
With that mindset (which I speculate that they have), any word in the English language can be found impersonal, lacking interest, passive–aggressive, or sarcastic.
With that mindset 'How are you?' can be seen offensive by some too: when someone says 'How are you?' they don't actually care about you. And you don't even need to reply with 'Thank you, I'm fine' because that question does not require any response at all.

By the way
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:
What I dislike the most is that English clichés tend to infiltrate other languages
The How-are-you attitude has also infiltrated into the Russian language too. Several years ago this question supposed a brief convo. These days, when you meet somebody saying 'Как дела' (equivalent of 'How are you'), next thing you see in a moment is their fading back...

[Edited at 2022-12-28 12:02 GMT]

I know that the phrase ”Как дела“ is an equivalent to "How are you?" but from what I've learnt, the meaning of the phrase is closer to "How are things (going)", which could be interpreted not only as asking the person how s/he's doing mentally or physically at that particular moment but could also mean a lot of other things, such as how are that person's family members doing, or how's your business doing, etc.

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 17:44
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
@ Tom Jan 2, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

People who say "Hey" instead of "Hello".

[Edited at 2022-12-27 13:12 GMT]

This happens sometimes when I receive job mails from non-English PMs and I hate it, too.
I feel like I'm being treated like a horse even if they address my first name after the word "hey".

Tom in London

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
That one is particularly annoying because… Jan 2, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

“Drop the mic”? This American expression, which once was used by rappers to indicate the end of a battle, has been borrowed by people everywhere and mics are dropping in Portugal…

… in any normal world, "mic" is pronounced "mick". As in Mickey

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
This one is really bad Jan 2, 2023

People who say "I'll be back momentarily" when they mean "I'll be back in a moment".

When I hear that, I always feel like saying "oh don't be in a hurry. When you arrive, I'd like you to stay for longer than just a moment".

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Interestingly… Jan 2, 2023

… there have hardly been any clichés mentioned in this thread, mainly just pet peeves…

It’s like everyone took their eye off the ball.

Philip Lees
Baran Keki
Helen Genevier
expressisverbis
MollyRose
polyglot45
or-la

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Two more Jan 2, 2023

That's a good question. The bigger picture.

Tom in London
Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Regional dialect Jan 2, 2023

Tom in London wrote:
People who say "I'll be back momentarily" when they mean "I'll be back in a moment".

If they were British, you'd right to be annoyed, but this is legitimate usage in American English.

Dan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What cliches do you dislike the most?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »