Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Why comment on KudoZ answers after 5 years?
Thread poster: Dinny
Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 22:06
Italian to Danish
+ ...
Mar 29, 2009

I was puzzled to see a mail today that somebody had commented on an answer I gave to a KudoZ question, since I couldn't even recall having made that answer. But when I checked the question it was clear why I could not remember it, because it was dated sometimes in April 2004!

Now why on earth are two different persons taking the trouble to "agree" to an answer after FIVE years? To me, it doesn't make sense at all! Once the question is closed it should not be possible still to insert
... See more
I was puzzled to see a mail today that somebody had commented on an answer I gave to a KudoZ question, since I couldn't even recall having made that answer. But when I checked the question it was clear why I could not remember it, because it was dated sometimes in April 2004!

Now why on earth are two different persons taking the trouble to "agree" to an answer after FIVE years? To me, it doesn't make sense at all! Once the question is closed it should not be possible still to insert comments?
Collapse

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:06
Spanish to English
I don't know about agrees but... Mar 29, 2009

All the Kudoz answers go into the glossary ans sometimes a glossary entry is just plain wrong. In which case there is nowhere else that I can find to correct it other than inserting a disagree with the answer that has been chosen and an agree with the right answer, if it exists, as a guide to others.

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:06
French to Spanish
+ ...
Newbies... Mar 29, 2009

I've seen that too... 3, 4 years later!
Some newbies surfing... don't worry.

Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 22:06
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Term searches Mar 29, 2009

As Lesley mentioned, this is is one way to comment on glossary entries. It is also possible that the term came up during a term search and the person felt that a comment would be helpful to others who may stumble upon the same term, just like the glossary situation.

[Edited at 2009-03-29 03:22 GMT]

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:36
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
I myself have placed a comment to a closed Kudoz question a few years after the fact Mar 29, 2009

The circumstance is like this.

In my desperate search for a term's meaning for my current assignment, I get at the correct answer thanks to this long-closed Kudoz question. I am so filled with gratitude that I have to give one more agree, albeit with a remark, "Sorry for the slight delay in agreeing" (at times the 'slight' delay was just 3 years!).

Regards,
N. Raghavan

keshab
keshab  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
To get the oppertunity of browniZ Mar 29, 2009

Dinny wrote:

Now why on earth are two different persons taking the trouble to "agree" to an answer after FIVE years?

Very Simple. Look at their profile and status.They must be user, not member. They are going to get browniZ points to ensure other activities on ProZ. Their concern is not to "agree" or "disagree" with answers.

But this is not the complete story. A scholar can also search for previous term and after getting a right thing he can put his comments as Mr. Raghavan did. This may also happen but the case is rare. There are many people in the world who are more 'professional' than us.

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Local time: 21:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
I've done it, too Mar 29, 2009

If I find an answer that is particularly helpful when I'm searching for a term, I often post an agree after verifying the term is correct, and thank the person who posted it.

By the same token, if I see a wrong answer, I sometimes disagree with it, especially if it's been chosen by the asker or has accumulated several agrees along the way.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
As a thank you Mar 29, 2009

Cindy Chadd wrote:
If I find an answer that is particularly helpful when I'm searching for a term, I often post an agree after verifying the term is correct, and thank the person who posted it.

By the same token, if I see a wrong answer, I sometimes disagree with it, especially if it's been chosen by the asker or has accumulated several agrees along the way.

Exactly the same in my case. Kudoz questions are not dead after they have been answered! Feedback and opinions about the answers and the term chosen can come any time.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Browniez are useless Mar 29, 2009

keshab wrote:
Very Simple. Look at their profile and status.They must be user, not member. They are going to get browniZ points to ensure other activities on ProZ. Their concern is not to "agree" or "disagree" with answers.

I don't agree with this at all! Browniez are pretty useless all in all. Do you think people have the time to go checking ancient Kudoz questions just for the Browniez? It does not make sense. Accessing the old questions takes time (you have to use a search) while new questions are readily available in the menu.

The fact is that, as some colleagues have described, that Kudoz questions can still be commented on after searching the glossaries during actual work. I do that often and add agrees and disagrees as I consider correct so that others can benefit and can better identify the right answers in the future.

Caryl Swift
Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Living language Mar 29, 2009

Apart from the points already made as to gratitude and 'wrongness', there's also the fact that usage changes. It might be arguable that this doesn't happen in so short a time as five years - but if it's going to happen, then it has to happen at some time. Something that may have been borderline unaccpetable in a particular register a few years ago may since have become common coin, or a short-lived idiomatic / 'street' expression might have fallen out of usage, for instance. So, taking a few min... See more
Apart from the points already made as to gratitude and 'wrongness', there's also the fact that usage changes. It might be arguable that this doesn't happen in so short a time as five years - but if it's going to happen, then it has to happen at some time. Something that may have been borderline unaccpetable in a particular register a few years ago may since have become common coin, or a short-lived idiomatic / 'street' expression might have fallen out of usage, for instance. So, taking a few minutes to add a comment in such, and similar, cases means that the glossary won't fossilise.

Have a good Sunday!
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:06
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Stumbling on old KudoZ Mar 29, 2009

Hi "Dinny",

old KudoZ show up in Google searches and I happened to add agrees to pretty old KudoZ. I normally add a short comment explaining how I stumbled on the KudoZ.

So, one might stumble on KudoZ. Even if colleagues check back KudoZ, what's wrong? It is good to know that our contributions did not get lost in the time tunnel, no?

Giuliana

[Edited at 2009-03-29 06:59 GMT]

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Kudoz don't have a sell-by date Mar 29, 2009

I've agreed with several Kudoz questions that were years old. When looking for a term in the glossary, I've often felt that the answer chosen as the most helpful wasn't, in my context, the most correct.

I agree with the person who sent in the answer that was most helpful to me as a way of thanking them for using their time and letting them know their effort wasn't wasted, even though they may not have got the points.
... See more
I've agreed with several Kudoz questions that were years old. When looking for a term in the glossary, I've often felt that the answer chosen as the most helpful wasn't, in my context, the most correct.

I agree with the person who sent in the answer that was most helpful to me as a way of thanking them for using their time and letting them know their effort wasn't wasted, even though they may not have got the points.

Nothing wrong with showing gratitude and encouraging a colleague.
Collapse

Neil Cross
Neil Cross
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:06
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Exactly Mar 29, 2009

John Cutler wrote:

Nothing wrong with showing gratitude and encouraging a colleague.

John, I couldn't agree more.

I often agree with Kudoz answers that are years old, generally after finding them in a Google search, if I feel that the correct answer wasn't selected or that I can add something to the party. Let's not forget that Kudoz questions are not the property of the Proz community alone, but are accessible to the entire world via search engines. I consider that, where possible and appropriate, we have a duty to make them as accurate as possible, even if that's only in the form of annotations (via agrees / disagrees).

Cheers,

Neil

Suyash Suprabh
Suyash Suprabh  Identity Verified
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
I agree with Caryl Mar 29, 2009

Hello Caryl, I cannot agree more with you on this point. Language evolves with time, and, over the years, some terms can acquire new meanings.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Disagree! :-) Mar 29, 2009

keshab wrote:

Juan Jacob wrote:

I've seen that too... 3, 4 years later!
Some newbies surfing... don't worry.

I have been a member for many years and don't certainly need to take the trouble or spend my time to go back to old questions in order to get Brownies or whatever. I happen to find them, that's all. Probably you won't believe it, but my concern is indeed to be of help if someone checks back in the future. Of course, if the answer has already got a lot of comments, I don't bother to add mine. BTW, why distinguish between members and users in this case? There have been and there are many many valuable colleagues that are not and maybe never have been members.

Your conclusions are such to discourage whoever from doing so as he/she might not want to appear as a Brownies grabber or someone that has nothing else to do.

Quite recently, after having found the translation of a term, I googled for further confirmations and stumbled on an old KudoZ question. There had been two answers, both without comments. The chosen answer was plain wrong and I gave an agree to the other one, of course. The answerer thanked me with the words "better late than never". BTW, I will now go back again and give a disagree to the other one; I did not have much time at the moment and just gave an agree. Disagreeing needs more time...

Other times it occurred to me to comment with an agree/neutral/disagree to long-closed questions and viceversa I got agrees to answers I didn't even remember, like Dinny. I don't see anything wrong with this, especially if there hasn't been any comment at that time. One agree - at least - could be a further confirmation for future needs, a neutral could point out another point of view and a disagree might prevent someone from choosing the wrong answer, even many years after.

[Bearbeitet am 2009-03-29 19:36 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why comment on KudoZ answers after 5 years?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »