Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Why comment on KudoZ answers after 5 years?
Thread poster: Dinny
Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
Local time: 18:12
English to German
+ ...
Same here Mar 29, 2009

Cindy Chadd wrote:

If I find an answer that is particularly helpful when I'm searching for a term, I often post an agree after verifying the term is correct, and thank the person who posted it.

By the same token, if I see a wrong answer, I sometimes disagree with it, especially if it's been chosen by the asker or has accumulated several agrees along the way.

That's what I do, too. Not a matter of chasing BrowniZ at all. It also happens (far too often, IMHO, and something I don't like very much) that askers simply "forget" to close and grade questions. When I come across an open question where the correct answer needs just one more "agree" to allow automatic grading, then I post an "agree", regardless of how old the question is.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:12
French to English
Agree Mar 29, 2009

John Cutler wrote:

I've agreed with several Kudoz questions that were years old. ...

Nothing wrong with showing gratitude and encouraging a colleague.

Ditto. Sometimes it was the selected answer, sometimes not but just happened to be exactly what I was looking for. In which case, I add a quick agree mainly to say "thanks".

[Edited at 2009-03-29 11:01 GMT]

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 11:12
Spanish
+ ...
To add something Mar 29, 2009

If there's something I know might add something to the disscussion, I'll go ahead and add a comment, whether it's an agree, disagree or a comment. I've seen that even after several years, sometimes the answer chosen wasn't the most appropriate one, or it could be useful only in a few contexts, or there's something that can be helpful. Also, as it has been pointed out, languages change.

Amy Taylor
Amy Taylor  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:12
Italian to English
To be helpful Mar 29, 2009

As others have said, KudoZ are often useful to people other than the original asker, including years after the question was posed. I appreciate input from all colleagues, at any time, that will help clarify the work already done. Most importantly, if it appears to me that an incorrect answer has been selected, I will disagree with it, or agree with what I consider to be the correct answer, in order to provide additional information for future searchers. I have done this even many years after the... See more
As others have said, KudoZ are often useful to people other than the original asker, including years after the question was posed. I appreciate input from all colleagues, at any time, that will help clarify the work already done. Most importantly, if it appears to me that an incorrect answer has been selected, I will disagree with it, or agree with what I consider to be the correct answer, in order to provide additional information for future searchers. I have done this even many years after the question was closed.
Amy
PS: Not sure what Browniez are even used for... that certainly isn't a motivation.

[Edited at 2009-03-29 15:30 GMT]
Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Future reference Mar 29, 2009

A big agree with many colleagues posting here about the value of commenting on "ancient" answers. Quite right, the answers don't age (although occasionally updating is appropriate), and may come in very useful at any future point. Likewise, it is never too late to add something in response to a question, be it confirmation or rejection, with justification, of sth that someone else may look at in the future.

And those "thank yous" arriving out of the blue can do wonders for the mora
... See more
A big agree with many colleagues posting here about the value of commenting on "ancient" answers. Quite right, the answers don't age (although occasionally updating is appropriate), and may come in very useful at any future point. Likewise, it is never too late to add something in response to a question, be it confirmation or rejection, with justification, of sth that someone else may look at in the future.

And those "thank yous" arriving out of the blue can do wonders for the morale of a glum translator stuck in the middle of car parts.
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 12:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you for agrees, any time! Mar 29, 2009

aceavila - Noni wrote:

And those "thank yous" arriving out of the blue can do wonders for the morale of a glum translator stuck in the middle of car parts.

Oh, yes! I've been the recipient of a couple of "late" agrees, and it made my day! I hope my "thank yous" did the same.

Myriam Dupouy
Myriam Dupouy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
"I agree"... Mar 29, 2009

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:

The circumstance is like this.

In my desperate search for a term's meaning for my current assignment, I get at the correct answer thanks to this long-closed Kudoz question. I am so filled with gratitude that I have to give one more agree, albeit with a remark, "Sorry for the slight delay in agreeing" (at times the 'slight' delay was just 3 years!).

Regards,
N. Raghavan

Did it too, no longer to be read as an "agree" though, but rather as a "thank you" ;o)

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Me too Mar 29, 2009

Yes, I'd have no hesitation in adding an agree/disagree even at a later stage, precisely because it adds more (or less!) weight to the glossary entry. What really irks me is where you come across terms which have either been left hanging (you do wonder why people bother in the first place....) or where the question has been closed without grading (answer found elsewhere) and where the asker hasn't made the effort to say where the answer has ultimately been found and what he/she has chosen in the... See more
Yes, I'd have no hesitation in adding an agree/disagree even at a later stage, precisely because it adds more (or less!) weight to the glossary entry. What really irks me is where you come across terms which have either been left hanging (you do wonder why people bother in the first place....) or where the question has been closed without grading (answer found elsewhere) and where the asker hasn't made the effort to say where the answer has ultimately been found and what he/she has chosen in the end. At the very least, it's a mere courtesy to those who have tried to help to show the result of the search process, even if none of the given answers were selected.Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Great help to close questions and tidy up the glossaries as well Mar 29, 2009

LittleBalu wrote:

.... It also happens (far too often, IMHO, and something I don't like very much) that askers simply "forget" to close and grade questions. When I come across an open question where the correct answer needs just one more "agree" to allow automatic grading, then I post an "agree", regardless of how old the question is.

An excellent reason for adding agrees, as well as saying a belated 'thanks, you helped me too'.

Or restoring the balance slightly when the asker has made an 'odd' choice of answer to award points to

When the question is closed automatically, the answerer can add the answer to the glossary (and earn 10 BrowniZ)...

BTW BrowniZ are not entirely useless - if you accumulate 4000 of them, you get a discount on your next annual subscription!

[Edited at 2009-03-29 22:34 GMT]

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 09:12
English to Russian
+ ...
I do it frecuently Mar 30, 2009

Many times I have been looking for a word - and found it in "old" KudoZ questions.

Whenever it happens, I made it a point to thank the answerer, because his help has been invaluable to me. Especially when it was not appreciated by the original asker!

One case is particularly memorable: a very thoughtful answer was given, with lengthy, detailed, well-documented explanation. Asker's reaction? To close the question without as much as saying thank you, "reason - other
... See more
Many times I have been looking for a word - and found it in "old" KudoZ questions.

Whenever it happens, I made it a point to thank the answerer, because his help has been invaluable to me. Especially when it was not appreciated by the original asker!

One case is particularly memorable: a very thoughtful answer was given, with lengthy, detailed, well-documented explanation. Asker's reaction? To close the question without as much as saying thank you, "reason - other". Well, I thought it was wrong, and clicked on "agree" and said so.
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
ditto Mar 30, 2009

Alexandra Goldburt wrote:

One case is particularly memorable: a very thoughtful answer was given, with lengthy, detailed, well-documented explanation. Asker's reaction? To close the question without as much as saying thank you, "reason - other". Well, I thought it was wrong, and clicked on "agree" and said so.

Lots of great colleagues no longer participate at all because their expert advice and explanations were constantly ignored by Askers who were in so far over their heads that they couldn't recognise a truly professional, accurate answer when they saw one or they couldn't understand the explanation provided. It's amazing how many wonderful answers have been ignored in this way. Thanking such people for their time and effort is the least we can do when we are helped by such answers ourselves, even years later.

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
I wish more people would comment Mar 30, 2009

I don't want to repeat what has already been said, I just wish more people would add comments/answers/references to old questions. The more opinions the better, as far as I am concerned.

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 19:12
Italian to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 30, 2009

Thanks to all of you for your comments. I've got the picture now, I guess.

Dinny

P.S. Giuliana, how come you address me as "Dinny"? It's actually my name!

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
I do this sometimes when I use the ProZ.com Term Search Mar 30, 2009

Dinny wrote:

I was puzzled to see a mail today that somebody had commented on an answer I gave to a KudoZ question, since I couldn't even recall having made that answer. But when I checked the question it was clear why I could not remember it, because it was dated sometimes in April 2004!

Now why on earth are two different persons taking the trouble to "agree" to an answer after FIVE years? To me, it doesn't make sense at all! Once the question is closed it should not be possible still to insert comments?

I try to say something like "thanks, I needed that" to give the person a hint of why I'm commenting (an "agree", actually). Usually the person responds to thank me. Once or twice the person didn't understand at first, and then subsequently said "oh, I get it'.:)

I'm also not afraid to "agree" with an answer not chosen, if it has helped me. That doesn't necessarily mean that the answer chosen should not have been, it just is my way of letting that particular answerer know that his/her input is appreciated - by me.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
I disagree Mar 30, 2009

keshab wrote:

Very Simple. Look at their profile and status.They must be user, not member. They are going to get browniZ points to ensure other activities on ProZ. Their concern is not to "agree" or "disagree" with answers.
[/quote]

I don't post an "agree" (or "disagree") just to get BrowniZ points. I've even been known to give away my BrowniZ points, so posting a comment/agree/disagree just to get the points would be kind of silly in that case then.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why comment on KudoZ answers after 5 years?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »