Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Why comment on KudoZ answers after 5 years?
Thread poster: Dinny
DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
hear no evil Apr 4, 2009

It's a pity that there're empty, senseless or even abusing comments there on KudoZ.
First of all I would set a timeout (some 50 days) and ask Admin/s to consider approving such 'late' comments.

Also a 'fine' for such irrelevant and unnecessary 'remarks' (KudoZ/ BrowniZ)

I know it's a bit rude, but it will make the answers more concise and clear.
Or let asker decide it according to his lights<
... See more
It's a pity that there're empty, senseless or even abusing comments there on KudoZ.
First of all I would set a timeout (some 50 days) and ask Admin/s to consider approving such 'late' comments.

I know it's a bit rude, but it will make the answers more concise and clear.
Or let asker decide it according to his lights

Surely, there're plenty of alternate solutions there.
E.g. not sending 'dis/agree' comments but pressing [+] [-]

Cheers.
Collapse

MelissiM
MelissiM
Italy
To close old old old old old questions... Apr 10, 2009

I'm doing this today.
I can't stand people who ask questions and don't find ONE minute to close them.
So, sometimes I read old questions, open from years (years!!!). I learn something, and if I agree
with someone's answer, I make it known.
If an answer has a tot of agrees (I don't remember... three, perhaphs?),
it will be closed even if the asker didn't find the courtesy to do it.
I think that if someone tries to help, you ought at least reply, but (too) many
... See more
I'm doing this today.
I can't stand people who ask questions and don't find ONE minute to close them.
So, sometimes I read old questions, open from years (years!!!). I learn something, and if I agree
with someone's answer, I make it known.
If an answer has a tot of agrees (I don't remember... three, perhaphs?),
it will be closed even if the asker didn't find the courtesy to do it.
I think that if someone tries to help, you ought at least reply, but (too) many askers don't do...!!!
So, that's my little contribution to helpful people.
Happy Easter.
Cristina
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:31
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agrees and disagrees are part of the system Apr 10, 2009

DZiW wrote:

This is clearly not the way to go. Agrees and disagrees are part of the system. It is true that some people simply can't take disagreement, but that does not diminish the qualities of the agree/disagree system.

And... if someone made an unappropriate comment in a Kudoz question, you should simply submit a support ticket to have it reviewed and eventually deleted. Let's not alter Kudoz's qualities just because some people can't accept disagreement or because some people are clumsy or mean in their communications with others.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
conservative Tory Apr 13, 2009

Tomás, I appreciate your opinion but there're still some points the system cannot cover properly. For example, one makes a negative (disagree -1) feedback and gives more reasonable suggestion. Then all who voted 'agree' now eagerly press 'disagree'.
And what make some +4 minus, let's say, 10? Can you see it now? And it's no 'single instance' at all.
I don't say we must start a global 'perestroika', but I still believe that a few moments should be supervised and require tough measure
... See more
Tomás, I appreciate your opinion but there're still some points the system cannot cover properly. For example, one makes a negative (disagree -1) feedback and gives more reasonable suggestion. Then all who voted 'agree' now eagerly press 'disagree'.
And what make some +4 minus, let's say, 10? Can you see it now? And it's no 'single instance' at all.
I don't say we must start a global 'perestroika', but I still believe that a few moments should be supervised and require tough measures.

As they say 'foolish people do stupid things, but civilized people do refined stupid things'
Collapse

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 20:31
Chinese to English
a hot debate: this discussion lasted 12 days Apr 13, 2009

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/english_to_chinese/medical:_pharmaceuticals/2415811-disease_or_condition.html

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 10:31
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Please contact a moderator or staff if this happens Apr 14, 2009

DZiW wrote:

... there're still some points the system cannot cover properly. For example, one makes a negative (disagree -1) feedback and gives more reasonable suggestion. Then all who voted 'agree' now eagerly press 'disagree'.

Nothing is perfect, and KudoZ definitely isn't, but compared with the numbers of useful questions and answers accumulated in the glossary, cases like this are only a minority.

Anyone who presses 'disagree' has to give a reason, and the rules state quite clearly that this must be a purely linguistic explanation of what is wrong with the answer, not an attack on the person who posted it or anyone else.

Please see rules 3.5. 3.6 and 3.7 here:
http://www.proz.com/?sp=siterules&mode=show&category=kudoz_answ

A moderator or site staff can remove peer comments, and it is in fact their job to remove personal comments, but we do not always have time to check everything that goes on.

It is assumed that it is not always possible to add anything useful to a really good answer, so agrees can be made without comment. But straightforward thanks are always in order!

If a question has not been closed, the robot can close it by choosing an answer with two agrees more than any other.
E.g. it will give the points to an answer with two agrees when no other answer has any,
or an answer with three agrees when no other answer has more than one,
etc.

The person receiving the points is then asked to edit the glossary entry if necessary.

It can be very interesting to search for open questions if you have time to spare, and add agrees if you can. It is not always possible - sometimes questions are not closed because there is no valid answer, but the asker should really close them without giving points. (I know, askers are not perfect either )

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why comment on KudoZ answers after 5 years?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »