Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:53
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Sep 20, 2010

I have just had a look at XTM Cloud ( http://www.xtm-intl.com ) and I must admit that it looks very interesting and promising. Has anyone used it - what are your opinions?
I know about troublesome cancellation policy but most of all I am interested in performance, usability and stability of this tool.

I'll appreciate any comments
... See more
I have just had a look at XTM Cloud ( http://www.xtm-intl.com ) and I must admit that it looks very interesting and promising. Has anyone used it - what are your opinions?
I know about troublesome cancellation policy but most of all I am interested in performance, usability and stability of this tool.

Best Regards
Stanislaw
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:53
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
My main concern is privacy Sep 21, 2010

My main concern before I evaluate this solution is privacy. As I haven't found solid information about the privacy of my data and stuff in XTM Cloud, I have just emailed the company for a reply. I will share the outcome with you all.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Privacy looks OK! Sep 21, 2010

I have exchanged several emails with the people at XTM and they pointed me towards their Master Subscription Agreement, which deals with privacy.

They state that they would be willing to send a signed copy of the Agreement, should one be needed. Personally I would ask them for that, since any breach of confidentiality of our data could be a total disaster for any translation se
... See more
I have exchanged several emails with the people at XTM and they pointed me towards their Master Subscription Agreement, which deals with privacy.

They state that they would be willing to send a signed copy of the Agreement, should one be needed. Personally I would ask them for that, since any breach of confidentiality of our data could be a total disaster for any translation service.
Collapse

Oleg Osipov
Oleg Osipov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:53
English to Russian
+ ...
Anyone tried it? Nov 20, 2010

What are your impressions and comments, if any?
Thank you.

Jon Fedler
Jon Fedler
German to English
+ ...
am trying to try it May 8, 2011

XTM seems to be about as inexpensive and user friendly a worktool as one could get. One can learn it in a few hours and payments are reasonable.

However, after joining, I have faced the problem of workflow. Initially I wanted to practice from my old translations - an eventuality not dealt with in the manuals. After finding out how, I tried twice but the programme "rejected" the original copies on format grounds (one was a photocopied PDF and one was a Doc.X document.)

... See more
XTM seems to be about as inexpensive and user friendly a worktool as one could get. One can learn it in a few hours and payments are reasonable.

However, after joining, I have faced the problem of workflow. Initially I wanted to practice from my old translations - an eventuality not dealt with in the manuals. After finding out how, I tried twice but the programme "rejected" the original copies on format grounds (one was a photocopied PDF and one was a Doc.X document.)

Bear in mind too that the company has only 12 listed c (and 8 sales vendors) and that one needs to apply to each one for work.

I certainly wish XTM the best and would like to see it succeed, but I don't see it reaching the league of Trados or Wordfast for some time, if at all.

Jon Fedler
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
XTM Cloud looks like an alpha version May 8, 2011

My posting copied from another thread

Can you modify file import filter settings, e.g. ignore hidden text in Word files, or red text in Excel files, notes in PowerPoint files? Is it possible to create a new XML filter? Can you change the Fuzzy Match settings? Filter on words or views?

IMO much more effort is required to create a CAT tool.

There is an option to ignore hidden text in Word but through Trados styles only!

Urs Wolffers
Urs Wolffers  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
xtm-cloud for all my translations May 16, 2011

Good afternoon

I have been using xtm-cloud for 99 percent of my translations since its start last September and I really have a great deal of translations every day. I never had a client’s complaint about layout in this time. Rome wasn’t built in one day neither was xtm-cloud, so some features know from other software may be missing, but you can easily contact the technicians and they do their really best to change this. And I am a beta tester and check that your new feature w
... See more
Good afternoon

I have been using xtm-cloud for 99 percent of my translations since its start last September and I really have a great deal of translations every day. I never had a client’s complaint about layout in this time. Rome wasn’t built in one day neither was xtm-cloud, so some features know from other software may be missing, but you can easily contact the technicians and they do their really best to change this. And I am a beta tester and check that your new feature will also work under very complicated conditions. And don’t forget: there is no special fee for support or update.
Of course not every client wants to be seen on the web, but their number is quite big. Cloud computing is a fairly new development which certainly has a big future, e. g. these days the first 2 computers working only in the cloud appeared: Google chrome and no other software. Urs

My configuration: Windows 7, word 2007, xtm-cloud.com
Collapse

Anna Kowalsk (X)
Anna Kowalsk (X)
Polish to English
+ ...
XTM - my choice May 20, 2011

Hello everybody,

Just wanted to share some thoughts about XTM Cloud. As a relative beginner, my main criteria for a CAT tool selection was: price, "mobility" and user-friendliness.

1. XTM is really affordable - at this point I don't need more than 60 000 words, so the price is aroud 30 Euro/month. Note, there's no additional cost for support (BTW really helpful and fast!) and system upgrades.

2. I'm not bound to any particular PC, 'cause the tool is complet
... See more
Hello everybody,

Just wanted to share some thoughts about XTM Cloud. As a relative beginner, my main criteria for a CAT tool selection was: price, "mobility" and user-friendliness.

1. XTM is really affordable - at this point I don't need more than 60 000 words, so the price is aroud 30 Euro/month. Note, there's no additional cost for support (BTW really helpful and fast!) and system upgrades.

2. I'm not bound to any particular PC, 'cause the tool is completely web-based

3. They offer a free introductory training, but nevertheless, the program is really easy and intuitive, I had no problems figuring it out.

Strongly recommend!

Cheers
Collapse

RE: XTM Cloud looks like an alpha version May 24, 2011

Dear Selcuk,

I am very sorry that you feel that XTM is still an alpha version. I am the technical architect of XTM and therefore take a great interest in feedback from our users. Regarding your points, you can filter automatically in XTM and not just using Trados compatible styles. We retained the Trados styles as many translators were familiar with them, but for an MS Office documents you only need to mark text with a 'DoNotTranslate' style. For XML documents you can use the W3C IT
... See more
Dear Selcuk,

I am very sorry that you feel that XTM is still an alpha version. I am the technical architect of XTM and therefore take a great interest in feedback from our users. Regarding your points, you can filter automatically in XTM and not just using Trados compatible styles. We retained the Trados styles as many translators were familiar with them, but for an MS Office documents you only need to mark text with a 'DoNotTranslate' style. For XML documents you can use the W3C ITS translate="no" attribute.

XTM is responsible for handling hundreds of thousands of segments each day into tens of languages, including newspaper reports in XML with a 3 hour turn around time, including full review. It is far from alpha, providing features that are unique to XTM, such as the ability to have multiple translators and reviewers working on the same file at the same time, all sharing the same TM in real time as well as terminology. XTM also provides built in QA including spell checking in over 80 languages as well as concordance, interactive terminology and full file search and replace within a browser environment as well as coping with unlimited file sizes: try translating a 500 page MS Word document in a desktop CAT tool.

The design philosophy of XTM is completely different from most CAT tools in that we have removed all of the complexity associated with having to 'fiddle' with filters and settings. XTM uses the Google approach to UI and systems design: simplicity and efficiency. XTM may seem simple, but that was our design goal for users - to be as straight forward and easy to use, hiding all unnecessary complexity from the user.

Regarding your question concerning new XML filters, XTM handles this completely automatically for all know vocabularies and for 90% for uncommon vocabularies. If you want something different, then all you need to do is to contact our support team on 'support at xtm-intl.com' - we will normally turn a new filter setting for you within a couple of hours. Our view is that translators should only have to concentrate on translation and not on maintaining or setting up filters: leave that to the IT guys. All backups, support and maintenance are also taken care of for you.

We also pride ourselves very much on the effectiveness of our support team. Very few CAT tools can provide such detailed and rapid response.

Best Regards,

AZ
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
@azydron May 24, 2011

Hi Andrzej,

I appreciate your willingness to hear about our feedback and improve XTM. Elliot already contacted me regarding my comments on XTM. I will test all filters and some complex xml files when I am available, and write you back.

Our view is that translators should only have to concentrate on translation and not on maintaining or setting up filters: leave that... See more
Hi Andrzej,

I appreciate your willingness to hear about our feedback and improve XTM. Elliot already contacted me regarding my comments on XTM. I will test all filters and some complex xml files when I am available, and write you back.

Our view is that translators should only have to concentrate on translation and not on maintaining or setting up filters: leave that to the IT guys.

If your xml filters are good enough I can use XTM at least as a file converter, xml>xliff.

Kind regards,

Selcuk
Collapse

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:53
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Have used it both for a large actual client project and on a trial basis Jun 27, 2011

Please have a look at this answer I prepared for another related thread:

I saw this thread a few days ago but didn't feel qualified to give an opinion, as I was just getting started with XTM. However, as I come to the end of my first large project with XTM, and after signing in for a trial account to look at all the features, these are my impressions:

1. I have to start out by saying that I'm a Trados/Studio user and have been for many years, so in a way I expect
... See more
Please have a look at this answer I prepared for another related thread:

I saw this thread a few days ago but didn't feel qualified to give an opinion, as I was just getting started with XTM. However, as I come to the end of my first large project with XTM, and after signing in for a trial account to look at all the features, these are my impressions:

1. I have to start out by saying that I'm a Trados/Studio user and have been for many years, so in a way I expected certain things from XTM based on my experience with Trados, which I realize now may not be the best approach.

2. I have done two things over the past week with XTM: I've been working on an actual project set up by a client and I have been trying a small group account where I have complete freedom to set it up anyway I want. I have come to the conclusion that most of my frustrations with the actual project regarding TM and terminology management have to do with the way the project was set up by the client and not with the tool itself. Other than that, the workflow has been smooth, the manual is clear and I was able to some extent to create my own settings, such as shortcuts, to make things flow more smoothly. I didn't experience any of the slow flow some colleagues have been describing here.

3. This has been said before and I have to agree with it: the support at XTM is phenomenal. Several people have been in touch with me to answer my questions, no matter how insignificant, and today two very nice support people from XTM actually called me and we had an online meeting so that we could discuss some behavior I was seeing in the program. They agreed that it was unusual and said it would be fixed by tomorrow. I have never before experienced that level of service. And that was just for a trial account.

4. The one thing the support staff confirmed for me today is that XTM is still in the process of implementing term recognition in their cloud-based tool. So until that is implemented, that's definitely something that's missing in that for me is a major component for a good CAT tool-based workflow.

Having said that, I quickly found a very good workaround to this limitation I've actually started to use even with Trados and Studio: using a text expander as a substitute for a term recognition feature in XTM and as a supplement to Multiterm in Trados products.

You can see how that works in a blog entry I made here:

http://noradiaz.blogspot.com/2011/06/adding-text-expander-to-my-translation.html

I plan on adding some XTM screenshots, but it looks basically the same as with Studio, which you can see on the blog.

So, in conclusion, so far I'm happy with XTM, it's my first cloud-based translation experience and I think it definitely has a lot of potential, especially when it comes to projects that require collaboration.

For now, as I discussed with the sales person who contacted me, I feel that the pricing structure at the freelance level is a little off. I think the word limit is too low for a serious, full-time translator, and I feel anxious just thinking that I will use up my word allocation before the month is over and I will have to end up paying more to finish my work. Perhaps it is difficult for me to wrap my head around that because it's a completely new business model, and because even though it was expensive, with Trados I have complete control over my projects at all times and there are no world limits. In addition to that, I'm a little put off by having to pay for three months up front, and would like to see a per-project pricing option added instead.

However, if I were just starting out, this would definitely be a very attractive option for me as a freelancer.

But for any projects that require a team working together, I would definitely consider XTM, as it allows you to share a TM and a termbase in real time and on the cloud, which would save the team leader the cumbersome process of exchanging TMs and keeping them up to date, and distributing them back to team members.

I almost forgot, but there is one added bonus to using XTM: output formats. This was one of my very first questions before I started trying XTM. As much as I love using Studio, I don't use it for the bulk of my translations because my clients for the most part still require bilingual Word files. As most of you know, Studio doesn't offer the ability to output a bilingual Word file. Well, XTM does.

In trying to find a way to output bilingual Word files in tools other than Trados Workbench, I tried both Wordfast Anywhere and XTM. While both tools produced a bilingual Word file, the one from Wordfast didn't have the right look, while the one from XTM was indistinguishable from one produced by Trados. So that one feature, would be a significant deciding factor if I had to choose between Studio and XTM, because Studio may be laden with features that XTM doesn't yet have, but what good does that do me when I can't output the kind of file my clients require?
Collapse

Manuela Junghans
Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Very interesing thread Jun 28, 2011

As I was just posting a similiar question today (unaware that this thread already existed - thanks for pointing it out) I found that this thread made for interesting reading.

Opionion seems to be fairly divided, between those who think it´s good to really good and the others who don´t like it.

However, I have one question to Stanislaw. What do you mean by bothersome cancellation policy. Does it mean that once you´ve signed up for it, you will never get rid of it agai
... See more
As I was just posting a similiar question today (unaware that this thread already existed - thanks for pointing it out) I found that this thread made for interesting reading.

Opionion seems to be fairly divided, between those who think it´s good to really good and the others who don´t like it.

However, I have one question to Stanislaw. What do you mean by bothersome cancellation policy. Does it mean that once you´ve signed up for it, you will never get rid of it again, even if you don´t like it?

I´d appreaciate any further input on this topic. Thanks.
Collapse

Waaler
Waaler
German to English
XTM Jul 8, 2011

Seeing as I found out about XTM from this thread, I thought I'd add my feedback on the service.

After having used Trados for a few years and then briefly trying out memoQ I didn't find XTM at all intuitive to use at first. It has quite a different approach, which took me a while to get my head around. However, since then I've found it extremely convenient and good value for money. Plus, as mentioned by others here, the customer service is very pro-active and helpful.

Fo
... See more
Seeing as I found out about XTM from this thread, I thought I'd add my feedback on the service.

After having used Trados for a few years and then briefly trying out memoQ I didn't find XTM at all intuitive to use at first. It has quite a different approach, which took me a while to get my head around. However, since then I've found it extremely convenient and good value for money. Plus, as mentioned by others here, the customer service is very pro-active and helpful.

For me, the felxibility of a web-based tool plus a subscription-based service is ideal. And as also mentioned here, it certainly does have a simple Google-like approach. It just took me personally a while to get used to it. Before trying XTM, I tried memoQ. I found it fantastic, completely intuitive and wonderful to use, but XTM's flexibility and subscription-based service has won me over. I would highly recommend at least signing up for the free trial to found out for yourself if it's for you.
Collapse

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:53
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Video of text expander to enhance XTM Cloud Jul 8, 2011

As a follow up to my post above, please find a short video in my blog showing how a text expander can greatly enhance XTM Cloud and in fact make your target translation assets (both TM and termbases) usable across platforms with no need for conversion.

http://noradiaz.blogspot.com/2011/07/adding-functionality-to-xtm-cloud-with.html

... See more
As a follow up to my post above, please find a short video in my blog showing how a text expander can greatly enhance XTM Cloud and in fact make your target translation assets (both TM and termbases) usable across platforms with no need for conversion.

http://noradiaz.blogspot.com/2011/07/adding-functionality-to-xtm-cloud-with.html

And I'd also like to hear about the cancellation policy as asked by Manuela. I'm currently using my free trial, so haven't paid anything yet.
Collapse

Anna Kowalsk (X)
Anna Kowalsk (X)
Polish to English
+ ...
Re: Cancellation policy Jul 29, 2011

Stanislaw Czech wrote:

Dear all,

this is the information on cancellation policy available on XTM website:

"Can I cancel my subscription to XTM Cloud?

You can cancel your subscription to XTM Cloud after the initial three months.

How can I continue my subscription to XTM Cloud after the initial period?

At the end of your first three months you can either take out another subscription for a fixed period or continue to pay for XTM Cloud on a monthly basis. "

Doesn't seem troublesome at all...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

XTM Cloud - has anyone used it?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »