Statistics Clause in a contract
Thread poster: gytrans
gytrans
gytrans
Local time: 12:48
Russian to English
+ ...
Dec 21, 2011

I'm new to this forum and not sure if I am posting in the correct place but can anyone tell me what this clause means:

3.2. Statistics
After receipt of a project it is essential that the Vendor acquaints himself / herself with the statistics relating to it. If the Vendor does not agree with the statistics, he / she must inform the Project Manager of this before confirming the task.
The rates for any work the Vendor undertakes for ### are determined by this agreement (see
... See more
I'm new to this forum and not sure if I am posting in the correct place but can anyone tell me what this clause means:

3.2. Statistics
After receipt of a project it is essential that the Vendor acquaints himself / herself with the statistics relating to it. If the Vendor does not agree with the statistics, he / she must inform the Project Manager of this before confirming the task.
The rates for any work the Vendor undertakes for ### are determined by this agreement (see Appendix 3);
alternatively, they may be indicated to the Vendor before the start of any collaboration (in cases where an Hourly rate is paid, or a Minimum Fee applies).
All calculations are based on the source text. In exceptional cases, specific payment terms shall be arranged for particular projects.
The following statistical scale based on Trados shall apply to all ### projects, unless indicated otherwise:
Perfect matches 0% of the full price
Repetitions, 100% 10% of the full price
95‐99% 20% of the full price
75‐94% 40% of the full price
Less than 74% the full price
If Trados is not to be used on a particular project, the Vendor will be informed of this before the project begins.

Thanks!

[Edited at 2012-01-06 17:17 GMT]
Collapse

Sam Pinson
Sam Pinson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:48
Member (2011)
Russian to English
It means you get paid less for fuzzy matches Dec 21, 2011

This means that the agency is fuzzy match analysis to discount your pay. The better the match, the lower the pay.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Santa Clause in a contract Dec 22, 2011

That's how I misread the heading initially, so I thought these three cartoons would be appropriate, then I thought, what the hell! I'll put them in anyway.

Sam Pinson
United States
Member (2011)
Russian to English
Ha! Dec 22, 2011

Those are great!

gytrans
gytrans
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
fuzzy matches?? Jan 5, 2012

Thanks for the replies (including the cartoons!). i am new to this so I don't know what 'fuzzy match' means. I won't be using any translation software either so not sure if this is appropriate.

Basically is this a normal clause in a contract? Should I be wary of it and will it mean I do a lot of translations for nothing?

Thanks again for any advice given!

Sam Pinson
United States
Member (2011)
Russian to English
An approximate match Jan 5, 2012

Fuzzy matching means that an approximate match has been found (as opposed to an exact match).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzzy_matching

gytrans
gytrans
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No MT no fuzzy match? Jan 5, 2012

Thanks for the link - does this mean that if I am not using MT then this will not apply? Also does not using MT leave me at a disadvantage? Are there any programmes you would recommend - that are cheap or free preferably.

Sam Pinson
United States
Member (2011)
Russian to English
The matches are an attribute of the text... Jan 5, 2012

The fuzzy match report is a description of similarities that exist between segments of the source text, as determined by analysis performed by Trados. Those similarities exist regardless of the means you use to translate the source text. The corresponding clause of the contract likewise is applicable regardless of how the source text is translated.

If by "MT" you mean something like Google Translate, I would say that you are at a disadvantage. You won't have a role to play as a tr
... See more
The fuzzy match report is a description of similarities that exist between segments of the source text, as determined by analysis performed by Trados. Those similarities exist regardless of the means you use to translate the source text. The corresponding clause of the contract likewise is applicable regardless of how the source text is translated.

If by "MT" you mean something like Google Translate, I would say that you are at a disadvantage. You won't have a role to play as a translator if what you produce is the same (or close to) what Google Translate produces.

If by "MT" you mean something else--taking advantage of your own translation memories--I wouldn't call that "MT", and I would call that an advantage.
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
I'm not sure if we're answering the question. Jan 5, 2012

Many translators use translation memory software as an aid to productivity. If you've translated the word, phrase, sentence or paragraph before, either in the same document or a previous one, the software will insert that translation for you. This is called a match.

If it finds text that is similar but not quite the same, this is called a fuzzy match.

Some translation companies expect you to give them a discount if the text contains matches or fuzzy matches. As I under
... See more
Many translators use translation memory software as an aid to productivity. If you've translated the word, phrase, sentence or paragraph before, either in the same document or a previous one, the software will insert that translation for you. This is called a match.

If it finds text that is similar but not quite the same, this is called a fuzzy match.

Some translation companies expect you to give them a discount if the text contains matches or fuzzy matches. As I understand it, this is a way of increasing their profit margins at your expense, because they don't pass on the discount to their customer.

Whether you use TM will depend on what type of translations you do. If you do highly repetitive technical manuals, you may find it very useful. If you do things like media and marketing texts, it will be of limited benefit. It's perfectly possible to get work without it (I don't use it), and in my experience, if you tell customers you don't have TM, you'll still get the job.

Hope that helps!
Collapse

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:48
English to German
+ ...
a fuzzy business model Jan 5, 2012

Jack Doughty wrote:

That's how I misread the heading initially, so I thought these three cartoons would be appropriate, then I thought, what the hell! I'll put them in anyway.

Thanks for that, Jack. HNY!!!

http://www.howtosplitanatom.com/images/overworked.gif

Seems it applies to the posted question, in a certain way.

A similar translation agency, one of many, by the way, (for this example, I'll call them "Lots of Clauses Agency") has, unlike Santa Claus, found a better business model for themselves (quite a couple of years ago), to earn more money and to pay all these translators more, ... uh, sorry, I mean less money, after said agencies believe it can now be expected from said translators that they buy expensive CAT Tools (that's the name for these constantly updated translation aids) and get paid less, according to the funny, I mean, fuzzy word count.

Well, the only thing this business model has in common with good old Nick is really the fuzziness, in his case, with the the fuzzy beard.
Giving anything away was never "Lots of Clauses Agency's" strong suit, so to speak. On the contrary, they always ran a tight- @%% ship.
But lately, it's been said that some translators worked more and more, for less and less money, went hungry, then got tired, then drank too much coffee, and finally either wised up and didn't apply fuzzy matches discounts anymore or found a different job.
But there are still lots of newcomers out there who are not familiar with what a good business model for translators, not agencies, is.
Do they have a training session for that here somewhere?

Also, despite claims to the contrary, there remain a few good translation agencies out there that let the translator determine an acceptable "per word" price, regardless of how many funny, I mean fuzzy, matches occur in a text.

Don't get caught up in the funny, I mean, fuzzy business anymore.

Bernhard

[Edited at 2012-01-05 21:32 GMT]

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
I wonder... Jan 5, 2012

gytrans wrote:
Thanks!

What would be the difference between a "perfect match" and "repetitions, 100%" ?

Sam Pinson
United States
Member (2011)
Russian to English
The context is the same Jan 5, 2012

I believe a "perfect match" here is also known as a "context match". That is, it is a 100% match where the segments that precede and follow are also 100% matches.

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
What happened to the good old handshake? Jan 5, 2012

gytrans wrote:

The following statistical scale based on Trados shall apply to all Janus WWI projects, unless indicated otherwise:
95‐99% 20% of the full price
75‐94% 40% of the full price
Less than 74% the full price

Hello gytrans,

If the project requires Trados and you will be using this program for translation, then your client will be applying the above pricing model.

gytrans wrote:

If Trados is not to be used on a particular project, the Vendor will be informed of this before the project begins.

If the project does not require Trados and you will not be using this program for translation, then the Vendor will inform you of this before the project begins and the above pricing model does not apply.

That’s how I understand this paragraph.
Hope this helps.

Marina

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
what's the pay scheme if Trados is not required? Jan 5, 2012

Marina Steinbach wrote:

If the project does not require Trados and you will not be using this program for translation, then the Vendor will inform you of this before the project begins and the above pricing model does not apply.

That’s how I understand this paragraph.
Hope this helps.

Marina

Marina,

It doesn't say that the count/"fuzzy" pay scheme doesn't apply although this could be the logical deduction.
It only says that if Trados is not required, "the vendor will be informed of this."

@ gytrans:
If Trados is not required, does it say anywhere specifically what pay scheme will be applied?

Bernhard

[Edited at 2012-01-05 23:04 GMT]

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
Erm... Jan 6, 2012

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

It doesn't say that the count/"fuzzy" pay scheme doesn't apply although this could be the logical deduction.
It only says that if Trados is not required, "the vendor will be informed of this."

How would you perform an analysis regarding fuzzy matching without Trados, Bernhard?

Kind regards,

Marina

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Statistics Clause in a contract

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »