open trados 7 TM in version 6.5?
Autor de la hebra: Laurens Landkroon
Laurens Landkroon
Laurens Landkroon  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:22
inglés al neerlandés
+ ...
Dec 14, 2006

Is it just my mistake or does trados 6.5 not support opening TM made with version 7
(does make sense, but I hope that anyone can help me out .......)

Thanks for your effort!

Laurens.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Letonia
Local time: 14:22
Miembro 2003
inglés al letón
+ ...
Cannot be done Dec 14, 2006

Trados itself says it cannot be done (if I remember correctly, because some initial strings in Trados 7 TM are different- includes support of more encodings).

However on one occasion I managed to do it by exporting the TM to Notepad and in Notepad substituting the initial part, containing all this encoding information, with the like part I copied from some *.txt exported 6.5 TM (for the same language pair, of course). It generally worked, though there were some tag problems.
... See more
Trados itself says it cannot be done (if I remember correctly, because some initial strings in Trados 7 TM are different- includes support of more encodings).

However on one occasion I managed to do it by exporting the TM to Notepad and in Notepad substituting the initial part, containing all this encoding information, with the like part I copied from some *.txt exported 6.5 TM (for the same language pair, of course). It generally worked, though there were some tag problems.

Uldis

Laurens Landkroon wrote:

Is it just my mistake or does trados 6.5 not support opening TM made with version 7
(does make sense, but I hope that anyone can help me out .......)

Thanks for your effort!

Laurens.
Collapse

MTG_tlumaczenia
MTG_tlumaczenia
Polonia
inglés al polaco
+ ...
i'm afraid it is so. Dec 14, 2006

although when I had a problem like that an agency delivered tm in 6.5-compatible form and pretty fast. so, I think they had some way to transform it.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Alemania
Miembro 2003
polaco al alemán
+ ...
What you need is a txt or tmx export Dec 14, 2006

When exporting from Trados 7 one should choose "Translator's Workbench 2-6", as otherwise you will not be able to import it with WB 6.5.

Regards
Jerzy

Laurens Landkroon
Laurens Landkroon  Identity Verified
inglés al neerlandés
+ ...
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Problem (almost)solved: Thanks !! Dec 14, 2006

I've already spoken to the client, she will send me an export file that I can open with my version (I expect she's done what Jerzy said in his message).

Thanks for your prompt reply!

Laurens.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

open trados 7 TM in version 6.5?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »