Thread poster: Mary Teissier du Cros
Mary Teissier du Cros
Mary Teissier du Cros  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:26
Member (2005)
French to English
Apr 5, 2006

I'm working in the latest version of SDL Trados - have only had it a couple weeks. I've just finished an extremely heavy file for a client (a large number of pictures, images) and when it came time to clean up the file I got the error message: "Word could not convert the document due to an OLE/COME file error." I found an old posting related to this topic and was able to clean up my file thanks to some great advice, but now I'm getting the same message with all my Word documents! I've tried with... See more
I'm working in the latest version of SDL Trados - have only had it a couple weeks. I've just finished an extremely heavy file for a client (a large number of pictures, images) and when it came time to clean up the file I got the error message: "Word could not convert the document due to an OLE/COME file error." I found an old posting related to this topic and was able to clean up my file thanks to some great advice, but now I'm getting the same message with all my Word documents! I've tried with several different files and get the same message but have no idea how to fix it. I don't want to never be able to clean up my files again!!! I'd really appreciate any ideas, insight, etc.

[Edited at 2006-04-05 14:16]
Collapse

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:26
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Convert Apr 5, 2006

Save your files as .rtf files. This must work it out.
If if doesn't, try also the option "Don't update".

Good luck,

Elías

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Use macro Apr 5, 2006

I work with Trados 6.5 and I'm not sure of this will help you much further (but maybe worth a try).

- Open the Word file you wanted to clean up.
- Press Alt + F8
- Choose tw4winClean.Main and let the macro run

The file should be cleaned by now. Different from normal clean-up with Trados functionality, any headers and footers will have to be cleaned separately with this macro.

Good luck!

Erik

... See more
I work with Trados 6.5 and I'm not sure of this will help you much further (but maybe worth a try).

- Press Alt + F8

The file should be cleaned by now. Different from normal clean-up with Trados functionality, any headers and footers will have to be cleaned separately with this macro.

Good luck!

Erik

Erik Hansson ( SFÖ )
Technical translator DE-SV
Hansson Übersetzungen GmbH
Am Birkenwäldchen 38
D-01900 Bretnig-Hauswalde, Germany
Phone +49 - 3 59 52 - 321 07
Fax +49 - 3 59 52 - 322 02
E-Mail [email protected]
Internet www.hansson.de
Internet www.technical-translators.net
Internet www.wintitus.de
ProZ profile http://www.proz.com/pro/21654
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:26
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thanks Erik!! Apr 6, 2006

Erik Hansson wrote:

- Press Alt + F8

Brilliant tip, thanks very much Erik - I had a similar problem just half an hour ago and this solved it.

Regards
Debs

Mary Teissier du Cros
Mary Teissier du Cros  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:26
Member (2005)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks and problem solved Apr 6, 2006

Thanks to all who answered. I was able to run the macro to clean up my file but was concerned that I would never be able to add a cleaned edit file to my memory, so needed to get to the heart of the problem. Here's what happened (as far as I can tell): the file I had been working with was huge and kept crashing. As far as I can tell, and after looking on the web a bit, it looks like in such a case the system will block the Word file or lock it for editing mode only. This is what happened with my... See more
Thanks to all who answered. I was able to run the macro to clean up my file but was concerned that I would never be able to add a cleaned edit file to my memory, so needed to get to the heart of the problem. Here's what happened (as far as I can tell): the file I had been working with was huge and kept crashing. As far as I can tell, and after looking on the web a bit, it looks like in such a case the system will block the Word file or lock it for editing mode only. This is what happened with my file - I couldn't even send the original to the Recycle Bin because it was locked (I think it does this because of all the backup versions that are generated when Word crashes). So after cleaning up a bit and completely rebooting my system, Trados is working again just fine.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't clean up my documents

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »