Thread poster: Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 11:06
English to Turkish
+ ...
Mar 27, 2006

I have recently purchased SDL Trados 2006 FL + 1 year Proz.com membership, for EUR 652, believing that it was the lowest price on the planet. And today an authorized reseller of SDL Trados in Turkey contacted me and offered only TRY 528 (EUR 324) for the same program. Well, I was the early bird, caught by the worm.

[Edited at 2006-03-27 16:08]

mónica alfonso
mónica alfonso  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
Are you certain? Mar 27, 2006

'Cause on Trados Web page, even some updates are more expensive than what you've been offered.
The official price for the new license is:
$806 / €716 / ¥108,000

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
see the link below Mar 27, 2006

http://www.set-soft.com/set-soft.com_non_ssl/kampanya.asp
528 YTL (New Turkish Lira, TRY) is approximately EUR 324.9

[Edited at 2006-03-30 18:25]

Cecilia Vela Segovia-Frund, CT
Cecilia Vela Segovia-Frund, CT  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
Your price is similar to Argentina's price... Mar 27, 2006

I bought the latest licence of SDL Trados Freelance Suite (7.0) in 2005 through Argentine official reseller, and I paid some USD 520, local taxes included.

I think that since they are offering downloadable versions of their products, SDL has adopted a new policy of lower prices for low-income countries, specially in countries where laws are lenient with software piracy. Being the product a download, they can control where the licence is used. THey do not offer the CD for an extra
... See more
I bought the latest licence of SDL Trados Freelance Suite (7.0) in 2005 through Argentine official reseller, and I paid some USD 520, local taxes included.

I think that since they are offering downloadable versions of their products, SDL has adopted a new policy of lower prices for low-income countries, specially in countries where laws are lenient with software piracy. Being the product a download, they can control where the licence is used. THey do not offer the CD for an extra amount in these cases.

Besides, as you have two available downloads (namely, one for your PC and other for your laptop), the reseller suggested me to share the licence AND the expenses with a fellow translator in the country.

I suppose everything is better than having most of the translators using non-licenced, cheap products.

BTW, I recognize Argentina is frequently seen as a prolific source of "dirty cheap translators" in pairs that include Spanish, and that they are a problem for the whole professional community. Software piracy is one of the reasons, and we try to fight it through our professional translation organizations, as translators working in the lower end of the market are unfair competitors for those of us who pay licenced software, taxes, etc. But then, I think each client gets what he or she pays for...

Regards,

Cecilia
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
so it is a misleading advertisement Mar 27, 2006

Cecilia Vela Segovia-Frund wrote:

It is apparently not the lowest price on the planet. See http://www.proz.com/tgb A new campaign continues for 30 (50?) new units for EUR 652.

[Edited at 2006-03-27 14:20]

Dina Abdo
Dina Abdo  Identity Verified
Palestine
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
No matter what the Ad says ... Mar 27, 2006

This is a software offered by a single company, how would a reseller sell it for a lower price than the major source??? It doesn't make sense!!

If this is true, then how are we supposed to trust any source we buy from??

And the new campaign on TGB?? It's been less than a month when the same offer was announced with a different price. If it's been 6 motnhs or something, the new price would have made sense by then, but less than a month!!!

There have to be so
... See more
This is a software offered by a single company, how would a reseller sell it for a lower price than the major source??? It doesn't make sense!!

If this is true, then how are we supposed to trust any source we buy from??

And the new campaign on TGB?? It's been less than a month when the same offer was announced with a different price. If it's been 6 motnhs or something, the new price would have made sense by then, but less than a month!!!

There have to be something different or otherwise wrong I guess!
Collapse

Cecilia Vela Segovia-Frund, CT
Cecilia Vela Segovia-Frund, CT  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
Lowest GLOBAL Price... Mar 27, 2006

I know TGB prices are always the lowest available prices at a global level --i.e. vs. SDL Trados website offers-- at a certain time.

I believe SDL Trados has different strategies regarding country-by-country markets.

Anyway, the constant offers and counter-offers in short time spams are very tiresome to me, and more than a little confusing...

Regards,

Cecilia

[Edited at 2006-03-27 16:13]

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
refunding Mar 27, 2006

I think we are eligible for a refund, at least those who could find much more lower prices from authorized resellers. As I said above, proz.com's advertisement that its price is the lowest one on the planet is misleading.

What does Henry think all about this? Free extension of my proz.com membership for 2 years maybe.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 04:06
SITE FOUNDER
We make lowest price worldwide a condition for our TGB sales Mar 27, 2006

For what it is worth, we make it a condition when we do a TGB sale that the vendor offer our members a better price than they offer anywhere else in the world. In other words, we will only sell a product if we believe we have obtained the best price worldwide for a product.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 04:06
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks, Selcuk Mar 27, 2006

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

I have recently purchased SDL Trados 2006 FL + 1 year Proz.com membership, for EUR 652, believing that it was the lowest price on the planet. And today an authorized reseller of SDL Trados in Turkey contacted me and offered only TRY 528 (EUR 324) for the same program. Well, I was the early bird, caught by the worm.

It was not our intention to mislead you, Selcuk, and I would be interested in the details. I will contact you offline.

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Mar 27, 2006

Henry wrote:

It was not our intention to mislead you, Selcuk, and I would be interested in the details. I will contact you offline.

Hello Henry,
Thanks for your kind interest. It appears that SDL has given better prices to their authorized resellers but did not inform you. Therefore, it is not the fault of Proz.com, but that of SDL Trados. I am sure you will talk with the SDL managers and get the best price next time.

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
authorized resellers Apr 6, 2006

Dina Abdo wrote:

There is a list of Trados authorized resellers.
http://www.trados.com/contact.asp under Select a Country...

Surprisingly Trados prices vary and some of them are really lower than the "official" Trados price. Internet is a great place, you can always find a lower price.

[Edited at 2006-04-06 23:05]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

the lowest price on the planet? search for an authorized reseller

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »