Stefanie Neubert
Stefanie Neubert  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 12:02
English to German
+ ...
Mar 25, 2006

IT IS URGENT!!

Defining translated text colors seems to be easy ... and still it does not work for me right now!

I received a job with an already existing TM but without a DTD ini- file and the translation files in rtf, using Tag Editor. The customer wants me to keep the colors of the source text, the 100 % matches, and so on.

Now: when opening the file for translation with a standard dtd-file the colors disappear. Defining the translated text col
... See more
IT IS URGENT!!

Defining translated text colors seems to be easy ... and still it does not work for me right now!

I received a job with an already existing TM but without a DTD ini- file and the translation files in rtf, using Tag Editor. The customer wants me to keep the colors of the source text, the 100 % matches, and so on.

Now: when opening the file for translation with a standard dtd-file the colors disappear. Defining the translated text colors according to the client's wishes did not help at all... they just wont appear in the Tag Editor. I allready "re-installed" the translation memory and tried other here described procedures.
Do I have to build a new dtd file?? How does this work??? I really do not get the glimps out of the TRADOS-help in this case, as I already have problems in defining a NAME for the dtd-file???
Has anybody a hint how to solve this fast and easy... ????

Thanks in advance!!!

P.S.: Does it work at all?? Do I have simply to use word... is it just because I am blond??? Did I miss out on something??? argh!

[Edited at 2006-03-26 00:03]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
IN TWB 7 there's tzranslated Mar 26, 2006

(...oops...) In TWB 7.0 there's "translated text colours" submenu entry in options. Would that do? Well, hm, I dont think so (sigh!). You'd need something to forbid TagEditor to fuss with tags, I assume.

Thought it would be worth a try, anyhow.

smo

[Edited at 2006-03-26 08:09]

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
Unchanged Mar 26, 2006

Hi,

If the client has set colors in the document, just try to select "unchanged" (for 100%, fuzzy and no matches) in the dialog box for setting colors in the WB, so that the colors set by the client are not modified.
Note that TagEditor handles the colors as tags, so they might not appear "as is" on the screen.
Let us know if it does the trick...

HTH,
Sylvain

[Edited at 2006-03-26 11:15]

Stefanie Neubert
Sweden
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no, did not work! Mar 26, 2006

No, I tried to set the transalted text colors already, it does not have any effect.
Where exactly is the checkbox, as I could not find any in the related box and/or in the whole menu. But I would be really happy if it really exists.... ;o) Thanks to you both anyway.

The programm just changes all the colors into black as soon as I open the file and when I save the file after working with it like that it also stays in black. I tried it in Word, using Trados and there it functio
... See more
No, I tried to set the transalted text colors already, it does not have any effect.
Where exactly is the checkbox, as I could not find any in the related box and/or in the whole menu. But I would be really happy if it really exists.... ;o) Thanks to you both anyway.

The programm just changes all the colors into black as soon as I open the file and when I save the file after working with it like that it also stays in black. I tried it in Word, using Trados and there it functions without any problems. I also tried it with an old file in Tag Editor - and it worked without any problem.
I must have overlooked something - if I only knew what!

Theoretically it cannot be the dtd file. First and for all it should not have anything to do with the text colors and second- I tried dtd files I alreayd used for "colored translations" - it made no difference..... SIGH!

[Edited at 2006-03-26 14:20]
Collapse

Sylvain Leray
Member (2003)
German to French
Unchanged, bis :) Mar 26, 2006

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand, but have you tried this ?
Translator's Workbench Menu "Options", item "Translated text colors".
There, select "Unchanged" in the 3 drop-down menus.

If this does not work, I can not help you further

Sylvain

Stefanie Neubert
Sweden
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The problem occurs when opening the file in TagEditor Mar 26, 2006

You understood it right but I guess that it is something else because it is still not funciotning.
Thanks a lot for all your help anyway!!!

I tried it... and it works at least if I am doing it in Word.

The problem, that the text colors change as soon as I open the files in Tag Editor, remains (no matter what settings I put on the colors - as they are already black they stay black!).

That leads us to the question:
Why does Tag Editor chang
... See more
You understood it right but I guess that it is something else because it is still not funciotning.
Thanks a lot for all your help anyway!!!

The problem, that the text colors change as soon as I open the files in Tag Editor, remains (no matter what settings I put on the colors - as they are already black they stay black!).

Why does Tag Editor change the color of the original file?

Probably I should have formulated it immediately like that but I was too stressed up yesterday. Sorry!!!

Should a computer-genius pass by here in a couple of days, please let me know what to do.

Meanwhile I decided to do the translation in Word instead of Tag Editor, I have a deadline to keep. Though I am far less than comfortable with it.(

[Edited at 2006-03-26 15:32]

[Edited at 2006-03-26 19:17]
Collapse

Tudor Soiman
Tudor Soiman  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:02
Member (2005)
English to Romanian
+ ...
I don't think you have to worry about the color of the text in the edit mode. Check target preview! Mar 26, 2006

Stefanie Neubert wrote:

You understood it right but obviously I did not express myself propely. ;o)
Thanks for your attempts to help!!!

Probably I should have formulated it immediately like that but I was too stressed up yesterday. Sorry!!!

Should a computer-genius pass by here in a couple of days, please let me know what to do.

Meanwhile I decided to do the translation in Word instead of Tag Editor, I have a deadline to keep. Though I am far less than comfortable with it.(

[Edited at 2006-03-26 15:32]

Sylvain Leray
Member (2003)
German to French
TE and colors Mar 27, 2006

Stefanie Neubert wrote:

All the formatting (ie the colors too) of the original file is converted into tags when opening it in TagEditor, so the colors will not display in the edit window, but should be OK in the target file once finished.
Isn't it the case ?

Stefanie Neubert
Sweden
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
its okay... Mar 28, 2006

Dear Sylvain!

Thanks once again for all your tries to solve this problem.... I even tried out, if the colours are displayed in the final file but unfortunately ... noop!(

I ended up translating it all in Word files instead of Tag Editor and now I am waiting for the customer to get back to me with the first complaints.. no, just kidding. ;o) But it was for sure much more work like this

I guess i
... See more
Dear Sylvain!

Thanks once again for all your tries to solve this problem.... I even tried out, if the colours are displayed in the final file but unfortunately ... noop!(

I ended up translating it all in Word files instead of Tag Editor and now I am waiting for the customer to get back to me with the first complaints.. no, just kidding. ;o) But it was for sure much more work like this

I guess it must have been a problem with the files itself. I already worked a lot with TagEditor and never had any problems. So we have to leave this as one of the unexplicable mystical happenings with modern technologies!
I decided to ask the customer for another file format next time as I am not sure if it was such a smart idea to choose the rtf-format. I did not have the time yet to do some research on this one (TagEditor/rtf-Format) but I sure will and as soon as I figure out something helpfull I will post it here.

A nice and successful working week for you!)

Kind Regards

Stefanie
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translated Text Colors-Problem! Trados 6.5

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »