Sabina Moscatelli
Italy
Local time: 14:16
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
Mar 21, 2006

Dear All

I need to translate a couple of huge files (with screenshots, etc) and I know using Trados would imply the usual problems (application not answering).

I was considering the possibility of switching to an SDLX demo version I downloaded from the internet for a similar job.

The problem is the customer wants both the uncleaned file AND the *txt file of the TM. I wonder if it is possible FOR SURE with SDLX. Unfortunately I have to time to waste (but wh
... See more
Dear All

I need to translate a couple of huge files (with screenshots, etc) and I know using Trados would imply the usual problems (application not answering).

I was considering the possibility of switching to an SDLX demo version I downloaded from the internet for a similar job.

The problem is the customer wants both the uncleaned file AND the *txt file of the TM. I wonder if it is possible FOR SURE with SDLX. Unfortunately I have to time to waste (but who has, actually?) and need certain answers. Otherwise I will stick to my Trados 7.0

Sabina
Collapse

Oleg Prots
Oleg Prots  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 15:16
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
AFAIK Mar 21, 2006

Dear Sabina,

I've been working with SDLX for a couple of years, and usually it is not a problem to export the TM into .txt file.
You are likely to face more trouble with the uncleaned file for delivery though - this is something SDLX can't do (as far as I know, at least). The only possible workaround I may suggest is to translate the file with SDLX, then export the TM into a .txt file, then import it into Trados and apply this Tm over an original rtf file. Not sure whether it'
... See more
Dear Sabina,

I've been working with SDLX for a couple of years, and usually it is not a problem to export the TM into .txt file.
You are likely to face more trouble with the uncleaned file for delivery though - this is something SDLX can't do (as far as I know, at least). The only possible workaround I may suggest is to translate the file with SDLX, then export the TM into a .txt file, then import it into Trados and apply this Tm over an original rtf file. Not sure whether it's worth the effort though...

And besides, I hope you are aware of the fact that the demo copy of SDLX is only functional for 30 days - after that it only allows files of up to 1000 words...
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:16
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
No problem at all Mar 21, 2006

Hi Sabina,

You can ever use TagEditor - yes, it imports MSWord files or:

- pretranslated files in TWB - and then import them into SDLX. This is how uncleaned files can be delivered by SDLX.

In TWB: Options -> Translate

tick:

Segment unknown sentences

Don't (update TM / translate terms)

Then open SDLX Edit, click on new, set

Trados style default

set languages and TM, s
... See more
Hi Sabina,

You can ever use TagEditor - yes, it imports MSWord files or:

- pretranslated files in TWB - and then import them into SDLX. This is how uncleaned files can be delivered by SDLX.

In TWB: Options -> Translate

tick:

Segment unknown sentences

Don't (update TM / translate terms)

Then open SDLX Edit, click on new, set

Trados style default

set languages and TM, select the file and let Edit import the file.

Once you are finished with the translation in SDLX Edit, click on the dropdown on File and on Create translation You are told where the file was created.

You'll have a Trados-like uncleaned file.

For the TM: open Maintain, open the TM, click on the dropdown File and on Export then on Trados

That will be a *.txt file 100% compatible with TWB import.

I am sure, I have been doing this for years.

Giuliana
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Export SDLX Tm to txt format

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »