Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 13:51
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Feb 3, 2006

Dear experienced users:

It may be 11:00 in the evening stupidity, but I cannot get to Trados 7.1 to interact with an Excel document. This is my first time using Trados 7 on Excel. When I use Word, there is a trados line in word. However, when I pull up the Excel file, all I get is the Excel file, with no access to Trados. The answer is probably obvious, but I am missing it. Yes, the trados editor is turned on.

I appreciate any help.

Yours truly,
<
... See more
Dear experienced users:

It may be 11:00 in the evening stupidity, but I cannot get to Trados 7.1 to interact with an Excel document. This is my first time using Trados 7 on Excel. When I use Word, there is a trados line in word. However, when I pull up the Excel file, all I get is the Excel file, with no access to Trados. The answer is probably obvious, but I am missing it. Yes, the trados editor is turned on.

I appreciate any help.

Yours truly,

Stephen Rifkind
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:51
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do not open the file in Excel, but use TAG Editor instead Feb 3, 2006

Start Workbench, start TagEditor, go to Open, select "Excel" als file type, navigate to the directory where your file is, select it and click "Open".
That´s all.
After you are finished with translation (don´t forget to save your work by pressing ctrl+s from time to time - TAG Editor does not have ANY file recovery function) you go to the "File" menu and chose "Save target as...", where you can save your file as xls, preferably under a different name than the source file.

... See more
Start Workbench, start TagEditor, go to Open, select "Excel" als file type, navigate to the directory where your file is, select it and click "Open".
That´s all.
After you are finished with translation (don´t forget to save your work by pressing ctrl+s from time to time - TAG Editor does not have ANY file recovery function) you go to the "File" menu and chose "Save target as...", where you can save your file as xls, preferably under a different name than the source file.

Please bear in mind, that the opening of your file may take several minites, even an hour or so, depending on how big your Excel file is. This is because the original Excel file is beeing "tagged", ie. written in xml-format.

HTH
Best regards
Jerzy
Collapse

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
Another way, perhaps. Feb 3, 2006

I haven't yet installed Trados 7, so I'm still on 6.5 where this should be done in 'T-Window for Excel', and I'm not sure how this would work in Trados 7, but...

I don't ever use this function.
1. because I find it too time consuming, and I don't have a clear view of what I'm actually doing, and 2. I often have to translate into a different column than the one with the source text which makes the T-window feature next to useless...
See more
I haven't yet installed Trados 7, so I'm still on 6.5 where this should be done in 'T-Window for Excel', and I'm not sure how this would work in Trados 7, but...

1. because I find it too time consuming, and I don't have a clear view of what I'm actually doing, and 2. I often have to translate into a different column than the one with the source text which makes the T-window feature next to useless

I almost always copy/paste the source text column from the Excel file to a word document where I use Trados to translate everything, save it, clean it, and then copy/paste the translation back into the correct column in the Excel file.
Collapse

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Excel in Tag Editor Feb 4, 2006

PCovs wrote:

1. because I find it too time consuming, and I don't have a clear view of what I'm actually doing, and 2. I often have to translate into a different column than the one with the source text which makes the T-window feature next to useless

I almost always copy/paste the source text column from the Excel file to a word document where I use Trados to translate everything, save it, clean it, and then copy/paste the translation back into the correct column in the Excel file.

That's certainly one way of doing it, but what if the client wants both the uncleaned and cleaned files?

I translated an Excel file with Trados for the first time recently, and found a way to get the translation into the column to the right of what I was translating. For example, Column A contains programming code (so ignore that), Column B contains the actual text to be translated and the translation is to appear in Column C.
Copy Column B into Column C, and then hide Columns A + B in Excel. Then open the file in Tag Editor, and voilà. I have no idea if this is the "right" way to do this, but hey, it worked.

On edit: This was using Trados 7

[Edited at 2006-02-04 07:44]

Stephen Rifkind
Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 13:51
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
As they say in Israel, Bolshoe Spacibo Feb 4, 2006

Thank you all for your help. I was feeling quite frustrated last night. I succeeded this morning in the translation using the "proper method" although I was unable to save until I finished, which could be a problem on longer documents. Once again, thank you very much for the help.

Stephen Rifkind

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
saving on the way Feb 4, 2006

Stephen Rifkind wrote:

using the "proper method" although I was unable to save until I finished,

Stephen Rifkind

I do not know which method you call proper, T-Win or TagEditor.

If the TagEditor (which I prefer for Excel), you can save any time, but the segments have to be closed. I suppose you tried to save the file with an open segment...

Antonin

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Why don´t you use the functions, that are available? Feb 4, 2006

PCovs wrote:

Well, it would be good, if you have had given it a try - TAG Editor 6.5 can hanlde Excel. With Trados 7 the Word-file handling was added to TAG Editor. Excel is possible at least since 6.5, or even since 6.0, I´m not sure anymore.
Handling Excel with TAG Editor is a piece of cake, while handling it with T-Window or copying into Word is a pain.

BTW, if you have to translate only some coulmns, than delete everything what shall not be translated in the file, save the file under a working name, translate the content and than copy it back into the original file.

Regards
Jerzy

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
I had no idea TagEditor could handle Excel files Feb 4, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Well, it would be good, if you have had given it a try - TAG Editor 6.5 can hanlde Excel. With Trados 7 the Word-file handling was added to TAG Editor. Excel is possible at least since 6.5, or even since 6.0, I´m not sure anymore.
Handling Excel with TAG Editor is a piece of cake, while handling it with T-Window or copying into Word is a pain.

BTW, if you have to translate only some coulmns, than delete everything what shall not be translated in the file, save the file under a working name, translate the content and than copy it back into the original file.

Regards
Jerzy

Well, I had no idea TadEditor could handle Excel files, but I have indeed tried using T-Window, which was a hassle.

Next time I will definitely try TagEditor, thanks.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I would recommend reading of Trados File Formats Reference Guide Feb 4, 2006

which may be found here.

Regards
Jerzy

[Edited at 2006-02-04 17:11]

INTRANSOL
INTRANSOL
United States
Local time: 05:51
English
+ ...
TM of Excel file after project completion? Mar 28, 2006

Hi!

I have completed a translation using an Excel file where I would have, in different columns: the English (source), the target language (Japanese) and in another column some context information for a more accurate translation.
Could anyone please tell me if it would be possible to create a translation memory of this file at this point, using, for instance, Trados LSP 6.5 or higher?
I'm asking this because when resuming the project for some additional items to be tran
... See more
Hi!

I have completed a translation using an Excel file where I would have, in different columns: the English (source), the target language (Japanese) and in another column some context information for a more accurate translation.
Could anyone please tell me if it would be possible to create a translation memory of this file at this point, using, for instance, Trados LSP 6.5 or higher?
I'm asking this because when resuming the project for some additional items to be translated it would be a lot easier to have the TM of the file.
If this is inded possible, would I have the English, the Japanese AND the context information there?
I hope this makes sense.
Thank you very much in advance for sharing any related experiences/suggestions.

Livia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to load Excel files in Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »