Maria Rosich Andreu  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:57
Member (2003)
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 4, 2005

Hi all,

I have received 2 .indd files which according to the client's instructions should be translated with TagEditor. However, TagEditor won't open them and only says the type of file is not recognised. I am using Trados 6 Freelance.

Does anyone know whether this should work?

[Edited at 2005-12-04 01:39]

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
Don't think so Dec 4, 2005

I don't remember seeing Trados supporting any .indd-format?

What application is it anyway?

Maria Rosich Andreu
Spain
Member (2003)
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
don't know it either Dec 4, 2005

PCovs wrote:

What application is it anyway?

actually, I've never seen it before either. The client's instructions talk about isc files but the files they actually sent are .indd

I tried to rename the extension (you never know!) but it didn't work.

[Edited at 2005-12-04 11:09]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
InDesign? Dec 4, 2005

I don't use InDesign, but IIRC .indd files belong to a later version of InDesign (InDesign CS?), which is probably not supported by earlier versions of TagEditor.

Maria, you didn't state your exact version number; this might be useful.

Best regards,
Ralf

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
These might be the original InDesign files Dec 4, 2005

And not the tagged ones.
Trados does only support InDesign 2.0, the newer CS versions are not supported, not even with the version 7.
What you need are tagged files with the ending isc, created with Trados Story Collector for InDesign (the workflow is same as for Pagemaker). But the StoryCollector will work only with older InDesign versions. For the time beeing I do not know any other solution, than asking the client to export the files from an older InDesign version. The document co
... See more
And not the tagged ones.
Trados does only support InDesign 2.0, the newer CS versions are not supported, not even with the version 7.
What you need are tagged files with the ending isc, created with Trados Story Collector for InDesign (the workflow is same as for Pagemaker). But the StoryCollector will work only with older InDesign versions. For the time beeing I do not know any other solution, than asking the client to export the files from an older InDesign version. The document compatibility betweend the different InDesign versions seems to be good.

TAG Editor - even in version 7 - cannot handle indd files, I´ve checked this.

Best
Jerzy

PS
Here you can find more about the InDesign files.

[Edited at 2005-12-04 11:17]
Collapse

Tadej Kokalj
Tadej Kokalj  Identity Verified
Slovenia
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Try Tortoise Tagger Dec 4, 2005

http://www.accurussian.net/tagger.htm

Try Tortoise Tagger and "manualy" tag the files. Download Tagger, Manual and InDesign list, read the manual in begin tagging.
Open tagged .doc files with Word and translate them with Trados (or Wordfast). After translation: clean-up, save as text (all formats will be lost) and rename in
... See more
http://www.accurussian.net/tagger.htm

Try Tortoise Tagger and "manualy" tag the files. Download Tagger, Manual and InDesign list, read the manual in begin tagging.
Open tagged .doc files with Word and translate them with Trados (or Wordfast). After translation: clean-up, save as text (all formats will be lost) and rename in .indd.

Don't worry, it just sounds complicated

[Edited at 2005-12-04 17:09]
Collapse

Maria Rosich Andreu
Spain
Member (2003)
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks, but... Dec 4, 2005

Tadej wrote:

After translation: clean-up, save as text (all formats will be lost) and rename in .indd.

But I wonder, if all formats will be lost, maybe it is not what I need. Anyway, I think I will try with a copy, at least this way I'll have the text in my TM already. Thank you very much.

Tadej Kokalj
Tadej Kokalj  Identity Verified
Slovenia
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Open .indd file in Notepad Dec 4, 2005

Maria Rosich Andreu wrote:

Tadej wrote:

After translation: clean-up, save as text (all formats will be lost) and rename in .indd.

But I wonder, if all formats will be lost, maybe it is not what I need. Anyway, I think I will try with a copy, at least this way I'll have the text in my TM already. Thank you very much.

Maybe I am wrong, however I think that .indd file is already plain text file, full of text in "funny" tags. Tagger purpose is to isolate text from tags, and protect tags from deletition, since they are essential for document formating later in DTP program. In order to isolate those tags "richer" format must be used (.doc or .rft - what Story Collecor uses).

[Edited at 2005-12-04 18:03]

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
InDesign CS files Dec 5, 2005

.indd files are graphic InDesign CS files.

In order to translate these files, the text must be extracted from it, with StoryCollector for example. In this case, you get a .isc file to translate in TagEditor. Then, using StoryCollector, the translated text is re-imported in the .indd file.

There are other options, but I don't know them enough to give you any advice on them.

And opening them in Notepad is useless, as these files are graphic files; you get something like this:

��D]2��R[�x���3}�) �W
�� �9e���p�a��G�V}Ȑ���`��9L��Aɭu{r~���e����
�}�A�J��>_�d�ٽ��d���WǿY-_��b��-W�;HO��9 q޺-~�F��

Can't your client extract the text himself with StoryCollector?

Marie-Claude

[Edited at 2005-12-05 09:30]

Maria Rosich Andreu
Spain
Member (2003)
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
done! Dec 5, 2005

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

Can't your client extract the text himself with StoryCollector?

Finally this is how this happened. Thanks everyone.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

indd files on TagEditor

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »