Ignoring Tags in Word
Thread poster: Rita Fejér
Rita Fejér
Rita Fejér
Local time: 19:16
German to Hungarian
+ ...
May 21, 2005

I'm working with Trados Freelance 6.5 and Word XP. I am translating a word document, which has some tags behind the text (like directory references).The client does not want me to tuch those tags, so I should ignore them. BUT working in Trados, the text "behind the lines" appears and I cannot ignore it. Is there a way to tell Trados, I want to ignore it and jump to the next "real" text.

Thanks,
Rita

Christine Biloré
Christine Biloré  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Tag Editor? May 21, 2005

Can't you work with Tag Editor on those files? It will open only the text that need to be translated and insure that the tags are left unchanged.

Christine

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Toggling the field codes May 21, 2005

It may (also) help to toggle the field codes - then you don't get the "text behind" the field. When I do this Trados doesn't mess with the content and recognizes the field as "REF".

One problem that I've noticed, however, is that if there are two different fields in one segment, Trados will suggest a segment in which both fields have the value of the first - you have to copy and paste the second field (even if the match is 100%).

Using TagEditor may be easier...... See more
It may (also) help to toggle the field codes - then you don't get the "text behind" the field. When I do this Trados doesn't mess with the content and recognizes the field as "REF".

One problem that I've noticed, however, is that if there are two different fields in one segment, Trados will suggest a segment in which both fields have the value of the first - you have to copy and paste the second field (even if the match is 100%).

Using TagEditor may be easier...

[Edited at 2005-05-21 15:02]
Collapse

Rita Fejér
Rita Fejér
German to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tag editor yes, but... May 21, 2005

Christine Biloré wrote:

Can't you work with Tag Editor on those files? It will open only the text that need to be translated and insure that the tags are left unchanged.

Christine

the file is obviously too big for the tag editor. I get a memeory overflow error.

Rita Fejér
Rita Fejér
German to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How can I toggle? May 21, 2005

Derek Gill Franßen wrote:

Using TagEditor may be easier...

[Edited at 2005-05-21 15:02]

Derek,

how can I toggle the field codes?

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:16
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Change options in MS Word May 22, 2005

how can I toggle the field codes?

Select the Tools menu, then Option, then select the View tab.

In the view tab you'll be able to select the check box "Field Codes".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ignoring Tags in Word

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »