DipTrans preparation
Thread poster: zigzum
zigzum
zigzum
Czech Republic
Local time: 22:46
Aug 6, 2012

Hello colleagues

I am planing to take English - Czech and English - Bulgarian DipTrans exams in January 2013. Do you think it is a good idea? I mean, do you think I have sufficient time to prepare for it, and how did you prepare yourself? I was thinking to translate the past papers, but I do not know if this option is viable and good enough.

Thanks for your comments

Viktor

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Impossible to know... Aug 6, 2012

I reckon we could do with some extra information:

- What is your mother tongue?
- Where do you live (or have lived longest for the last 10 years)?
- Do you have a degree in translation or other formal training on translation?
- How long have you been a professional full-time translator?

With this information, we would get a better picture of the situation.

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Not sure it's possible Aug 6, 2012

Although I don't know what the dates for the 2013 examinations are, I know that in 2012 the examinations from English into all foreign languages were all held on the same day (18th January). If that's the case in 2013 as well, you'd only be able to sit one of the papers you're interested in.

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:46
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

Register by 31 August 2012 Aug 7, 2012

Hello Viktor,

From the General regulations & entry criteria section at the IoL website:
http://www.iol.org.uk/qualifications/exams_diptrans.asp
"The Examination Registration Period runs from 1 May 2012 to 31 August 2012."
If you are located in the Czech Republic, you have to contact your local British Council Office or Teaching Centre for spec
... See more
Hello Viktor,

From the General regulations & entry criteria section at the IoL website:
http://www.iol.org.uk/qualifications/exams_diptrans.asp
"The Examination Registration Period runs from 1 May 2012 to 31 August 2012."
If you are located in the Czech Republic, you have to contact your local British Council Office or Teaching Centre for specific information at one of the following locations:

British Council
Bredovský dvůr
Politických vězňů 13
110 00 Prague 1
Contact Names:
Director – Mr Nigel Bellingham
Telephone:
+420 221 991 111
Fax:
+420 224 933 847
Email:
[email protected]
Web:
www.britishcouncil.org/czechrepublic
Czech Republic, Prague, TC

British Council
Bredovský dvůr
Politických vězňů 13
110 00 Prague 1
Contact Names:
Deputy Director / Teaching Centre Manager – Mr Steve Oxley
Telephone:
+420 221 991 160
Fax:
+420 224 933 690
Email:
[email protected]
Czech Republic, Brno, P

British Council
2nd Floor
Solnicni 12
Brno 602 00
Contact Names:
Exams Co-ordinator – Kateřina Kalačová
Telephone:
+420 545 210 174
Fax:
+420 545 211 065
Email:
[email protected]

From other countries:
Global office and teaching centre locations
http://www.britishcouncil.org/about/contact

Although only you can determine whether you have sufficient time to prepare for the 2013 exam, you may wish to read through this recent, two-part article here on ProZ.com,
"Passing the Diploma in Translation (DipTrans) examinations from the UK Institute of Linguists," by Mike Brady. It is a translator's hands-on experience with the exam, offering valuable information, great insight, and various useful links. (Note that the application deadline has changed since 2011.)
Part 1:
http://tinyurl.com/c4ttgwn
Part 2:
http://tinyurl.com/bmmve76

Good luck!
Ildikó
Collapse

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:46
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Distance learning Aug 7, 2012

Hi Viktor,

I did City University's preparation course (Russian to English) via distance learning a few years ago and would recommend it. The full course takes a whole year but I think you can do just a part of it if you want. I believe they do English to Czech but I'm not sure about Bulgarian. The course mainly involves doing lots of practice papers with written feedback from tutors and telephone tutorials. It is very useful if you have no idea what to expect from the exam and n
... See more
Hi Viktor,

I did City University's preparation course (Russian to English) via distance learning a few years ago and would recommend it. The full course takes a whole year but I think you can do just a part of it if you want. I believe they do English to Czech but I'm not sure about Bulgarian. The course mainly involves doing lots of practice papers with written feedback from tutors and telephone tutorials. It is very useful if you have no idea what to expect from the exam and need to build up your confidence a bit before taking the plunge. However, I'm not certain it would be quite as helpful if you are already a very experienced translator. It is also not cheap, if you add it to the cost of the exam fees.

Here is the university's DipTrans course page:

http://www.city.ac.uk/courses/cpd/institute-of-linguists-educational-trust-iolet-diploma-in-translation-module-1#course-detail=1

Good luck!
Collapse

zigzum
zigzum
Czech Republic
TOPIC STARTER
DipTrans preparation Aug 7, 2012

Hello and thank you for your answers.

I am pretty experienced translator - I've been translating since 2005 English>Bulgarian>English and English>Czech>English.

As for the preparation, I meant self preparation. Do you think that all the translations I have done yet and that are to come will be enough to prepare me, or should I go for the course?

Thanks in advance.

P.S: I will be taking the exam in U.S.A and I am not sure of the exact date

Peter Shortall
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
2013 exam dates Aug 7, 2012

According to the link below, the date for English into all other languages is Wednesday 23 January, so I don't think you'll be able to sit the DipTrans in both English-Czech and English-Bulgarian in 2013.

http://www.iol.org.uk/qualifications/DipTrans/2013/DTInfo13.pdf

zigzum
zigzum
Czech Republic
TOPIC STARTER
DipTrans preparation Aug 7, 2012

Peter Shortall wrote:

According to the link below, the date for English into all other languages is Wednesday 23 January, so I don't think you'll be able to sit the DipTrans in both English-Czech and English-Bulgarian in 2013.

http://www.iol.org.uk/qualifications/DipTrans/2013/DTInfo13.pdf

I know that, my main concern is - if I register today for the exam, is it sufficient time for me to prepare, or should I wait until 2014

Peter Shortall
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Experience and ability Aug 8, 2012

zigzum wrote:

I know that, my main concern is - if I register today for the exam, is it sufficient time for me to prepare, or should I wait until 2014

What you need, ideally, is a combination of experience and ability. If you've been translating since 2005, that should be more than enough experience already, provided you're good - but I have no way of judging that Remember that if you want to pass, you should translate only into your mother tongue(s). People who translate into (for them) foreign languages generally fail miserably, according to the examiners' reports I've read.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DipTrans preparation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »