First steps DipTrans, MA, other options???
Автор темы: Susana González Tuya
Susana González Tuya
Susana González Tuya
Испания
Local time: 15:54
Член ProZ.com c 2010
английский => испанский
+ ...
Mar 27, 2009

Hello,

It's been several years now that I have been interested in getting a qualification or training as a translator. I have a university degree in International Business hence in every job I had so far I end up being the unofficial translator of the company. I would like to be a profesional translator and I was thinking of getting some qualifications.

The problem is that I am not sure which option I should take. I had previously attended the DipsTrans course at Westm
... See more
Hello,

It's been several years now that I have been interested in getting a qualification or training as a translator. I have a university degree in International Business hence in every job I had so far I end up being the unofficial translator of the company. I would like to be a profesional translator and I was thinking of getting some qualifications.

The problem is that I am not sure which option I should take. I had previously attended the DipsTrans course at Westminster University and I was not very impress (Not very practical and the teacher didn't seem to know what she was doing). I don't think this type of course will actually help me. I have also check their MA's and the one at London Metropolitan but I don't know much about this University I can find any feedback about their courses.

I hope you can help me with your experience or direct me somewhere.

Thanks
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Испания
Local time: 15:54
Член ProZ.com c 2005
английский => испанский
+ ...
DipTrans, an exam rather than a course Mar 27, 2009

Personally I would talk to centres that offer classes or online courses. We are supposed not to use names here, so please feel free to email me via Proz and I will give you the names of two I know of.

As for DipTrans, I think it would be a suitable certification. However, it is an exam, rather than a course. You can sit the exam every January with no need for a previous course as far as I am aware. However, it is advisable to take a proper course on translation before going to the e
... See more
Personally I would talk to centres that offer classes or online courses. We are supposed not to use names here, so please feel free to email me via Proz and I will give you the names of two I know of.

As for DipTrans, I think it would be a suitable certification. However, it is an exam, rather than a course. You can sit the exam every January with no need for a previous course as far as I am aware. However, it is advisable to take a proper course on translation before going to the exam as it can be tough if you don't have actual experience in translation.

Personally I would try to invest time and money in class courses, rather than online courses, if you have that possibility.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

First steps DipTrans, MA, other options???

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »