searching in several projects
Thread poster: Angel Llacuna
Angel Llacuna
Angel Llacuna  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:17
English to Spanish
Oct 23, 2023

In memoQ, how do you search for a word in several projects at the same time ?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not possible per se Oct 23, 2023

I do not think you can search for a word in different projects per se, but there are several alternatives:
- If the projects share a common TM, you could search in that TM and find the files where it was used
- Searching in your memoQ projects folder using a file searching tool (or even Notepad++)?

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:17
Danish to English
+ ...
Workaround Oct 23, 2023

I think you don't.

I always keep an exported bilingual RTF, which I use for spellchecking in Word. This allows me to search them in File Explorer.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
export memoQ projects to bilingual RTF and search with Copernic Desktop search + dtSearch Oct 23, 2023

You could also have a look at "memoQ TM search", which would allow you to search across multiple TMs at once. However, I have always found this little auxiliary program to be pretty crap.

I export every memoQ project to a bilingual RTF, so I can search across all past memoQ projects with Copernic Desktop search and dtSearch.

Another option is to use Xbench, ad search across memoQ xliff files. Haven't tried this, but it might work well. Xbench also supports a huge range
... See more
You could also have a look at "memoQ TM search", which would allow you to search across multiple TMs at once. However, I have always found this little auxiliary program to be pretty crap.

I export every memoQ project to a bilingual RTF, so I can search across all past memoQ projects with Copernic Desktop search and dtSearch.

Another option is to use Xbench, ad search across memoQ xliff files. Haven't tried this, but it might work well. Xbench also supports a huge range of other formats, so you could use it to search other stuff as well.

xbench

https://docs.memoq.com/current/en/Places/memoq-tm-search-tool.html
https://copernic.com/en/desktop/
https://www.dtsearch.com/
Collapse

Paula Darwish
Paula Darwish  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
Turkish to English
+ ...
using concordance search Oct 23, 2023

I think you could do this by attaching several TMs to one project and then using Concordance search.

Mustafa Baris Erevikli

Marion Arand
Marion Arand  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:17
Member (2022)
Finnish to German
+ ...
XBench Oct 23, 2023

When you put all projects in XBench you can use the search there. This is easy and fast to do and really helpful.

Angel Llacuna
Angel Llacuna  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Marion, ... Oct 23, 2023

Marion Arand wrote:

When you put all projects in XBench you can use the search there. This is easy and fast to do and really helpful.

please, could you describe step by step how you do this ?

Mustafa Baris Erevikli
Mustafa Baris Erevikli  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2022)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Ctrl+K Oct 23, 2023

Paula Darwish wrote:

I think you could do this by attaching several TMs to one project and then using Concordance search.

Plus you can simply use the shortcut Ctrl+K to open the pop-up concordance window where you can search in several projects attached to one or more TMs.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Please check out my idea on the memoQ Users' Idea Portal! Oct 23, 2023

Paula Darwish wrote:

Indeed. However, there are a number of scenarios in which you might not want to have certain TMs connected to your active project. This is why I initially suggested trying memoQ's TM Search tool. However, as I mentioned, this tool is pretty crap. However this gave me another idea, which I just posted on the memoQ Users' Idea Portal:

Ability to select/deselect any TM (1) directly in Concordance window (2) in settings somewhere

@ https://ideas.memoq.com/ideas/PUBL-I-892

ideasportal

Paula Darwish
Grigori Gazarian

Marion Arand
Marion Arand  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2022)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Search via XBench Oct 25, 2023

First in MemoQ you create via CTRL + X a bilingual document from each of your projects.

Safe those on your computer, perhaps in a special folder for that.

Then you open XBench:
 Project (above on the left side)
 Properties …
 Under "Files" you add all your bilingual documents you have created before
 OK
In the XBench surface there is SEARCH QA INTERNET

In Search you can search terms in source and target.
... See more
First in MemoQ you create via CTRL + X a bilingual document from each of your projects.

Safe those on your computer, perhaps in a special folder for that.

Then you open XBench:
 Project (above on the left side)
 Properties …
 Under "Files" you add all your bilingual documents you have created before
 OK
In the XBench surface there is SEARCH QA INTERNET

In Search you can search terms in source and target.

The result shows which project and the segment number.

That’s all!
Collapse

Erwin van Wouw
Erwin van Wouw  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
memoQ TM Search Oct 25, 2023

Isn't memoQ TM Search not supposed to do just that? https://docs.memoq.com/current/en/Places/memoq-tm-search-tool.html

I use an application independent tool myself to search across projects.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

searching in several projects

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »