FEATURE REQUEST: Saving find & replace operations in templates for reuse in future similar projects
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:29
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Apr 9, 2023

I just created the following Idea over at the memoQ Ideas portal. Please upload if you think this would be a useful feature!

Saving find & replace operations in templates for reuse in future similar projects

I like to start some jobs by pre-translating the whole document with MT, and then running a few F&R operations on the resulting text. Find & replace can be a very useful tool, but a lot of useful information is lost which could be saved and reused in futu
... See more
I just created the following Idea over at the memoQ Ideas portal. Please upload if you think this would be a useful feature!

Saving find & replace operations in templates for reuse in future similar projects

I like to start some jobs by pre-translating the whole document with MT, and then running a few F&R operations on the resulting text. Find & replace can be a very useful tool, but a lot of useful information is lost which could be saved and reused in future projects.

I therefore propose a system that remembers all find & replace operations in a specific project and allows the user to save them in some kind of templates. That way, the next time you start a similar job (same end client, subject or whatever), you can quickly and easily rerun all of these past find & replace operations on your current project.

F&R-Idea-memoQ

https://ideas.memoq.com/ideas/PUBL-I-756
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:29
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why not kill 2 birds with one stone? Apr 10, 2023

I generally use a combination of memoQ's built in MT plugins, combined with GT4T via its multi-engine shortcut, either on selections, or on the current segment as a whole.

It would be great if there was an easier way to quickly add custom terminology to memoQ's built-in MT plug-ins. Using GT4T is just so easy to do. You just select a term in the src box, click the dictionary shortcut, add your preferred target term, and the next time you use GT4T this preferred term is automatically
... See more
I generally use a combination of memoQ's built in MT plugins, combined with GT4T via its multi-engine shortcut, either on selections, or on the current segment as a whole.

It would be great if there was an easier way to quickly add custom terminology to memoQ's built-in MT plug-ins. Using GT4T is just so easy to do. You just select a term in the src box, click the dictionary shortcut, add your preferred target term, and the next time you use GT4T this preferred term is automatically used (assuming you switched on ‘Fix automatic translation with Glossary’).

GT4T

Ideally, the idea that I sketched over at https://ideas.memoq.com/ideas/PUBL-I-756 would be a combination of find & replace being able to save previously run F&R operations, plus some way to use these term pairs to customise memoQ's built-in MT plugins!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

FEATURE REQUEST: Saving find & replace operations in templates for reuse in future similar projects

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »