Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:56
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I wasn't getting at you, Stephen Apr 14, 2007

rifkind wrote:

Dear Jenny:

I am middle aged (47) with young-old parents (80's) who are in some ways in better shape than I am. Governments as a rule never call a spade a spade. You are what you feel. The government will call you what is politically and culturally accepted.

So, in my eyes, you are a long-standing citizen who deserves respect, however you want it, including a discount in the city land tax.

Stephen Rifkind

Dear Stephen,
Do understand, I wasn't getting at you! Just a moan about the general attitude to the old - that somehow it's a kind of embarrassing disadvantage (or joke) that needs a euphemism - all part of the mealy-mouthed political correctness that can't bear to call things what they actually are, like saying "differently abled" instead of "disabled", or "disadvantaged" instead of "poor".
And thanks, everyone, for your cheering comments. And yes, it's nice to get reduced cinema tickets, and so on, and about time too, after a lifetime of paying taxes!
Love,
Jenny.

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 08:56
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Third Age is also used in Mexico, by the way. Apr 14, 2007

If I'm not mistaken, the first age is supposed to be childhood and teenage years, while the second is adulthood. But no one ever remotely uses "primera edad" or "segunda edad." In fact, I don't think I've even seen anyone write it.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Veterano Apr 14, 2007

Thanks to Juliana for reminding of this one, "Veterano", which is used in Chile, meaning "Veteran", not of any war but of life itself. It's a part of popular speech, of course, not one of the euphemisms promoted by whomever.

"Tercera Edad" (Third Age literally) is used a lot in Chile as well as in Mexico.

Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:56
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Ultrasessantenni Apr 14, 2007

Nice thread!

In Italy they use a lot "ultrasessantenni", meaning "over 60", to indicate elderly people.

It seems to be that 60 is considered the "turning point", but hopefully this will be pushed forward (I am now 48 and I also plan to continue working in my seventies).

Near my house there is a protected housing complex for elderly people called "Gli anni azzurri" (The light blue years).

Laura

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 01:56
Japanese to English
Silver generation Apr 14, 2007

In Japan, the term "silver generation" (シルバー世代) is gaining currency, and those seats in trains or buses, etc. that are generally reserved for the elderly, disabled or pregnant women, are called "silver seats."

In Australia, "grey workforce" or "grey collar workforce" is used to refer to 'mature-age' workers seeking (re-)employment after retirement age.

DNATUSIA
DNATUSIA
Local time: 11:56
English to Russian
+ ...
Vintage Apr 15, 2007

It's not official in any way, but I love it. I discovered that this word was used to describe former models of Playboy magazine (some of them were in their 60) in a special issue.

Pavel Blann
Pavel Blann  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
Czech Apr 15, 2007

I am afraid the Czech Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs does not use any euphemism when dealing with senior citizens. Their official term for people getting a retirement pension is "starobní důchodce" (old-age pensioner). The colloquial term is "penzista".

However, when there is an upcoming election or any other matter concerning this group of citizens (& especially their support) the terms "senior" and "senioři" (plural) are used.

In case of continuing education
... See more
I am afraid the Czech Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs does not use any euphemism when dealing with senior citizens. Their official term for people getting a retirement pension is "starobní důchodce" (old-age pensioner). The colloquial term is "penzista".

However, when there is an upcoming election or any other matter concerning this group of citizens (& especially their support) the terms "senior" and "senioři" (plural) are used.

In case of continuing education, the term "univerzita třetího věku" (third-age university) is often used.
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Tagalog Apr 15, 2007

I loved Rafa's beautifully-contexted explanations of how older people are called in Brazil. I'm going to try to explain this for the Philippines.

A speaker will refer politely to ang ating mga nakatatanda or mga nakatatanda sa atin, literally meaning "older than we are" and implying "wiser". This has the problem of being both personal (with reference to us) and comparative (WE could be more than 60, or even retired).

In situations that require comparisons
... See more
I loved Rafa's beautifully-contexted explanations of how older people are called in Brazil. I'm going to try to explain this for the Philippines.

A speaker will refer politely to ang ating mga nakatatanda or mga nakatatanda sa atin, literally meaning "older than we are" and implying "wiser". This has the problem of being both personal (with reference to us) and comparative (WE could be more than 60, or even retired).

In situations that require comparisons (like partnerships or just talking about plain seniority), there is no problem with the adjective nakatatanda. There may be a need for a euphemism in the adjective matanda ("old"). So some people use may-edad or may gulang, which literally means "who has age" (although everybody does, but among natives, it is understood as old age, unless specified in another context: may edad nang mag-asawa, "old enough to marry").

Although beterano as a borrowing from Spanish is understood colloquially with reference to professions, skills and experiences, the non-borrowed words are sanay or dalubhasa. Dalubhasa is specific for professions (dalubhasang manggagamot, an experienced doctor), while sanay may be used in crafts, trade and actions.

Situations referring to long permanence in a place, postion or trade are described by datihan.

The colloquial word for "oldies" is gurang.

[Edited at 2007-04-15 23:38]
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 22:56
English to Thai
+ ...
Thai version Apr 16, 2007

It can be
ราษฎรอาวุโส
ผู้ใหญ่
ผู้สูงอายุ
คนสูงอายุ
คนชรา
No official word yet.
Soonthon L.

Melzie
Melzie
French to English
+ ...
silver Apr 16, 2007

I came accross a great one yesterday, specifically for lovers of motorcycles who are making the most of their 'free' time. Who don't have to wait for the school holidays to take theirs any more. Who are still active and enjoying life, drum roll .... silver bikers

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
non-official in Germany: Best Agers + Grey Panthers Apr 16, 2007

These are both non-official terms in Germany, but I think they're interesting nonetheless:

1) Grey Panthers (die grauen Panther), which is even organized into a political party. Also seems to be a US-based advocacy group. I'm sure you can find this phrase all over the world.

2) The "Best Agers", which is just cringeworthy Denglish. Sometimes described as those 45-69, other times as 55+. I think it has to do with the demographic shift in Germany (and elsewhere of course)
... See more
These are both non-official terms in Germany, but I think they're interesting nonetheless:

1) Grey Panthers (die grauen Panther), which is even organized into a political party. Also seems to be a US-based advocacy group. I'm sure you can find this phrase all over the world.

2) The "Best Agers", which is just cringeworthy Denglish. Sometimes described as those 45-69, other times as 55+. I think it has to do with the demographic shift in Germany (and elsewhere of course) towards older people, the tendency to stay healthier even into old(er) age, and of course the disposable income of this demographic.
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:56
English to French
+ ...
Old person and first-born Apr 17, 2007

Depending on which government body names them for what purpose, they are either "personne âgée" (old person) or "aîné" (first-born). I'd rather be the latter, but not if first-born would mean first-born of all humankind - imagine the medical bill that would come with!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Local euphemism of "Senior Citizen"

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »