Vom Thema belegte Seiten:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >
Limits have been instituted on the number of questions one can ask in 24 hours
Initiator des Themas: Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 17:11
ProZ.com-Mitarbeiter
Aug 3, 2005

As discussed earlier this year, and more recently in this post, limits on the number of questions a member may ask over a 24-hour period have been introduced. The limits are:

1 for non-members
5 for non-platinums
15 for platinums

In addition, askers with 5 or more open questions (older than one week) will not be allowed to ask any further questions.

These limits will be enforced au
... See more
As discussed earlier this year, and more recently in this post, limits on the number of questions a member may ask over a 24-hour period have been introduced. The limits are:

1 for non-members
5 for non-platinums
15 for platinums

In addition, askers with 5 or more open questions (older than one week) will not be allowed to ask any further questions.

These limits will be enforced automatically by the system.

If you have any questions or feedback about these changes, please post your comments in this thread.

Best regards,

Jason

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-08-03 17:58]
Collapse

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 00:11
Mitglied (2004)
Englisch > Russisch
+ ...
So long-waited restriction! Aug 3, 2005

Jason Grimes wrote:
As discussed earlier this year, and more recently in this post, limits on the number of questions a member may ask over a 24-hour period have been introduced.

A great improvement! I wish the restrictions were more strict, still I welcome any limitations on the number of questions per day. I hope they will be even stricter in the future.

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Excellent! Aug 3, 2005

I am sure that this will considerably improve the quality of the questions posted in the English-Spanish pair, and in other pairs as well. Thanks a lot to all the staff for listening to our requests!

Yuri Dubrov
Yuri Dubrov  Identity Verified
Russische Föderation
Local time: 00:11
Englisch > Russisch
+ ...
Doubts remain Aug 3, 2005

Hi everybody!

Nevertheless this policy must be pursued with utmost care!
I think it is unwise to limit the active Kudoz point leaders if they ask own questions. Only 5 questions per day? too few!
Are 4500 points not enough? We are the people who are here to help and who attract askers, but if we need ourselves some help?

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spanien
Local time: 23:11
Spanisch > Englisch
+ ...
hurray! Aug 3, 2005

Great news, and thanks very much!

Just an aside...I've just been going through old questions and was staggered to see some people with more than 90 open questions! This should help put a stop to things like that.

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Kanada
Mitglied (2004)
Englisch > Französisch
Hurray! Aug 3, 2005

But what about smaller number of questions that are still open after 2 or more years? There's not way I can possibly know how many open question a specific asker still has. Eg. If I knew there were 5 or more, I'd know the system would close them. But it could be only one or two that are left open and therefore they will remain open. I tried and tried to contact the askers to ask that they close their questions, but they never answer. What can we do in these cases?

Nina

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexiko
Local time: 15:11
Mitglied (2002)
Englisch > Spanisch
+ ...
Ask less, click with the mouse more Aug 3, 2005

I hope this encourages colleagues to take advantage of the Proz.com glossaries as I keep seeing many questions whose answers are at the click of a mouse away!

Elías

GILLES MEUNIER
GILLES MEUNIER  Identity Verified
Frankreich
Englisch > Französisch
Good thing Aug 3, 2005

I think it's a good thing, in that, it will help askers to select his questions and to find easier question on his own with available resources on Internet....As he knows he is limited, he will consult the Kudoz glossary, GDT and for answerers, there will be fewer repeated questions. As far as I'm concerned, askers can write to me if they can no longer ask a question. Of course, it applies to questions about my specialization fields and I will reply if I know the answer and if I'm not too busy. ... See more
I think it's a good thing, in that, it will help askers to select his questions and to find easier question on his own with available resources on Internet....As he knows he is limited, he will consult the Kudoz glossary, GDT and for answerers, there will be fewer repeated questions. As far as I'm concerned, askers can write to me if they can no longer ask a question. Of course, it applies to questions about my specialization fields and I will reply if I know the answer and if I'm not too busy. Just to show them that's it's not a punishment but it will make the site more interesting.....Collapse

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 14:11
Englisch > Französisch
+ ...
How about closing questions automatically? Aug 3, 2005

these changes are most welcome, Jason. Thanks.

Now how about all the questions that remain open forever?
Could the system close them after, say, 3 months?
Some of us have been trying to add a second agree to those questions but I'm afraid it's hopeless, as some of those have no answers at all, or asker declined them all, or...

It's not like someone is going to revisit those old questions anyway. Kudoz questions have a very short shelf life, I would say aroun
... See more
these changes are most welcome, Jason. Thanks.

Now how about all the questions that remain open forever?
Could the system close them after, say, 3 months?
Some of us have been trying to add a second agree to those questions but I'm afraid it's hopeless, as some of those have no answers at all, or asker declined them all, or...

It's not like someone is going to revisit those old questions anyway. Kudoz questions have a very short shelf life, I would say around a week, if that.

Keep up the good work!

Sarah
Collapse

bartek
bartek  Identity Verified
Englisch > Polnisch
+ ...
Well ..... Aug 3, 2005

Total Recall wrote:

Hi everybody!

Nevertheless this policy must be pursued with utmost care!
I think it is unwise to limit the active Kudoz point leaders if they ask own questions. Only 5 questions per day? too few!
Are 4500 points not enough? We are the people who are here to help and who attract askers, but if we need ourselves some help?

And 35553 Kudoz points are not enough to ask the 6-th question some day?
I am not a Platinum Member and it's my choice. However, there may come a day when I'll have to ask even the 7-th question. Don't I deserve it?
And on the day when I'll have to ask the 8-th question - shall I beg my friends to ask it for me?

I don't ask for any privileges. I ask to think it over. Everybody knows Platinum Members who don't answer questions for weeks and who contribute hardly anything to the Site participants.

Teresa

Konstantin Kisin
Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
Vereinigtes Königreich
Local time: 22:11
Russisch > Englisch
+ ...
enforcement? Aug 3, 2005

Jason Grimes wrote:
1 for non-members

How is this going to be enforced? What's to stop people from using 15 different usernames for asking 15 questions a day?

I welcome the change with open arms.

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:11
Französisch > Portugiesisch
+ ...
OK, but... Aug 3, 2005

I don't mind asking only 5 questions as a non-payer member (it's the average number of questions I ask when I need; never more than 7, anyway).

However, yesterday I posted 7 questions and waited for the 24 hours to pass in order to grade them.

Since 24 hours had passed, wasn't I supposed to be able to ask more 5 questions today?

24 hours have passed since yesterday and I didn't grade my questions immediately. I wanted to ask a question right now and I was n
... See more
I don't mind asking only 5 questions as a non-payer member (it's the average number of questions I ask when I need; never more than 7, anyway).

However, yesterday I posted 7 questions and waited for the 24 hours to pass in order to grade them.

Since 24 hours had passed, wasn't I supposed to be able to ask more 5 questions today?

24 hours have passed since yesterday and I didn't grade my questions immediately. I wanted to ask a question right now and I was not able to. The system said that I had too many questions open (24) when I hadn't. I immediately graded my questions from yesterday.

When I tried to ask my question once again I had the following message:

"You have asked 0 question(s) out of a 5 question limit in the past 24 hours
You can not ask anymore KudoZ questions right now
You have too many (24) open questions, please close some of your open questions and then return to this form ".

I can assure you all of them are closed right now!

Is this a failure of the system?

Best, Ivana
Collapse

GILLES MEUNIER
Frankreich
Englisch > Französisch
Interesting Aug 3, 2005

What's to stop people from using 15 different usernames for asking 15 questions a day?

This is an important point. Is it possible to change a pseudo many times in 24 hours ???

GILLES MEUNIER
Frankreich
Englisch > Französisch
solution Aug 3, 2005

And 35553 KudoZ points are not enough to ask the 6-th question some day?
I am not a Platinum Member and it's my choice. However, there may come a day when I'll have to ask even the 7-th question. Don't I deserve it?

May be to imagine a system which allows you to ask more questions against Kudoz points.....1000 points the 6th quesion and 2000 points the seventh, are you OK ?:=)))

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexiko
Local time: 15:11
Französisch > Spanisch
+ ...
Enforcement and squash option. Aug 3, 2005

1/5/15 seems fine to me and I don't get Bartek's point.
As Konstantin says, how to deal with 15 different usernames for asking more then one question a day? They are easely "spottable" and squash question option seemed good to restrict them: I don't see it any more.
Good improvement, though. Cheers to that.

Vom Thema belegte Seiten:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Limits have been instituted on the number of questions one can ask in 24 hours

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »