Jakub Radzimiński
Jakub Radzimiński
Poland
Local time: 19:49
English to Polish
+ ...
Specifics Apr 27, 2006

Henry wrote:
If you feel the change is preventing valid questions, please provide a specific example of a valid question that was not asked, and provide us with the background leading up to it.

Here you go.
I'm translating a test used by the HR department of company X during recruitment. While I generally have no greater problems with financial texts (oh, I forgot, it's financial), this one has many terms I'm not familiar with. There are over 100 questions. On average, every fourth question contains a term I am not familiar with, I cannot find a translation in my dictionaries, on KudoZ or via Google/online dictionaries. The text itself is quite short. I have three days to do it. This gives me 15 questions to ask. Or rather 10-12, for on the third day I might just not have the time to wait for answers. Simple math tells me, that I am over 15 questions short.

Of course, it's a unique situation that might happen once a year or so. But it does happen. And when it does, KudoZ stops to be as helpful as it was earlier.

I know that I just may pay for the membership. But to pay the fee for just being able to ask more questions once in a year? I don't really see other significant benefits of a membership.

If your intention in introducing these limits was to encourage more non-paying members to become paying members, then why not say so from the start (tongue in cheek)?

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
A few points Apr 30, 2006

Hi Jakub,

I think you missed a couple of important points.

1. KudoZ abuse.
No one has ever pointed a gun at me demanding to answer KudoZ questions. However, many of us realize that we, as a whole, as a community, are taken advantage of by those abusing the system. We do not wish to support this sort of behavior. Any non-abuser will not be punished by this change if he or she takes account of the new restrictions and the rationale behind them.

2. Relia
... See more
Hi Jakub,

I think you missed a couple of important points.

1. KudoZ abuse.
No one has ever pointed a gun at me demanding to answer KudoZ questions. However, many of us realize that we, as a whole, as a community, are taken advantage of by those abusing the system. We do not wish to support this sort of behavior. Any non-abuser will not be punished by this change if he or she takes account of the new restrictions and the rationale behind them.

2. Reliance on KudoZ.
You have asked and you have answered KudoZ questions in comparable numbers. This means that you have both given and received translation help through ProZ.com. You probably understand the value of each. So, let's look at the two sides of it. You ask the questions you like, you answer the questions you like - ProZ is always there for you. You have access to most of its translators' features, as well as a moderate level of exposure to clients. However, you hold the community responsible for answering 6 of your questions in a 24 hour period. One logically makes the assumption that your personal network of translators is so unreliable, compared to KudoZ, that it cannot accommodate 1 question per day. Then, perhaps, it is indeed time to think of giving respect to ProZ.com for the reliable services it provides?

3. Membership
It is important not to reduce the value of ProZ membership to that of being allowed to ask a few extra questions per day. Members enjoy noticable improvements in every part of the website and its services, and these improvements are by no means limited to the increase in KudoZ questions limit. Not only is there no pressure to join, but if you do and don't like it, you get your money back. Speaking of costs, it is true that even one job pays for the price of membership. Personally, I joined after a year of being a user and in one full year my earnings increased by more than 300%. So, please do not think of membership as being a trick to sign you up for "having a few more KudoZ questions once a year". There is much more and for many it's really worth it.

[Редактировалось 2006-04-30 21:10]

[Редактировалось 2006-05-01 23:13]
Collapse

Jakub Radzimiński
Jakub Radzimiński
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Missed points? May 4, 2006

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:
1. KudoZ abuse.
No one has ever pointed a gun at me demanding to answer KudoZ questions. However, many of us realize that we, as a whole, as a community, are taken advantage of by those abusing the system.

No-one is taken advantage of unless he or she willingly answers some abusive question. So, in my opinion, that point does not stand.

Then, perhaps, it is indeed time to think of giving respect to ProZ.com for the reliable services it provides?

Oh, of course i do give ProZ.com respect. That is why I'm an active (yet non-paying) member and do not limit my activity to just asking questions.

3. Membership
It is important not to reduce the value of ProZ membership to that of being allowed to ask a few extra questions per day. Members enjoy noticable improvements in every part of the website and its services, and these improvements are by no means limited to the increase in KudoZ questions limit. Not only is there no pressure to join, but if you do and don't like it, you get your money back. Speaking of costs, it is true that even one job pays for the price of membership. Personally, I joined after a year of being a user and in one full year my earnings increased by more than 300%. So, please do not think of membership as being a trick to sign you up for "having a few more KudoZ questions once a year". There is much more and for many it's really worth it.

Hmm, perhaps you're right. I might give it a try. As of now I just can't see how can a membership increase my earnings. We shall see

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
To explain further May 4, 2006

Jakub Radzimiński wrote:

No-one is taken advantage of unless he or she willingly answers some abusive question. So, in my opinion, that point does not stand.

Ok, I didn't go into why or how excessive questions count as abuse. But it's quite simple.

People get jobs for which they are not qualified (sometimes even bidding on ProZ to get them!) and then turn around and start asking tons of questions to get through the translation. The fact that I'm not forced to answer these questions is not the point. Someone does answer them, so the asker continues to ask more and more until the work is finished. This is the abuse.

This is not a theoretical argument - really, this practice has been in effect for quite some time. It constituted direct abuse of one's peers' help. After some ongoing pressure to change the system, it was indeed corrected to benefit the majority of conscientious users.

Stuart Allsop
Stuart Allsop  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 13:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
I hate to say it, but... May 8, 2006

Sarah390 wrote:
Under the new rules I can ask only 5. Some days I ask none at all. Shouldn't this be taken into account? I realise we need to stop people asking a ridiculous number but I am finding the current restriction difficult.

Jakub Radzimiński wrote:
... BUT, today the day came - I HAVE to ask the 6th question in 24h.

I really hate to say it, but "I told you so...". I brought this point up several months ago, only to be greeted by insults. Yet here we are, nine months later, and people are still having issues with these silly arbitrary limits. In the past I have made simple suggestions for improving the system, and seen them angrily shot down in flames, occasionally even by victims of the system, yet the underlying issue still persists: some people get penalized unfairly, and cannot use Proz for the purpose for which it was originally intended.

As I understand it, Proz was supposed to be a community of collaborating professional translators helping each other out and picking up certain benefits as a result. It no longer is. As far as I can see, it is now just a money-making business, where only those who can afford to pay get the "right" to be helped, regardless of how much they actually help others, and those who can't pay (or don't want to) only have the "right" to help others, yet not the right to be helped in return, no matter how much they contribute. (Captilaism at its best, I suppose.)

Sure, with the new rules, abuse is way down from what it was, and that is a certainly a good thing. I'm not complaining about that, and I certainly do agree that some limits are necessary.

But why is it so terribly objectionable, so absurdly unthinkable, to implement some kind of simple system that would award those who DO contribute to Proz with the "right" to ask more questions when they really, really need to, regardles of whether or not they can pay?

All I'm saying is that it would be great to have a very simple method of somehow taking into account the Kudoz and/or Browniz that a member has accumulated, and allowing him to ask more questions based on his CONTRIBUTION to Proz, rather on his ability to PAY.

As "Total Recall" said on page one of this discussion: "I think it is unwise to limit the active KudoZ point leaders if they ask own questions. Only 5 questions per day? too few!
Are 4500 points not enough? We are the people who are here to help and who attract askers, but if we need ourselves some help?"

Or what "bartek" said, just a few posts later: "And 35553 KudoZ points are not enough to ask the 6-th question some day? I am not a Platinum Member and it's my choice. However, there may come a day when I'll have to ask even the 7-th question. Don't I deserve it? And on the day when I'll have to ask the 8-th question - shall I beg my friends to ask it for me? ... Everybody knows Platinum Members who don't answer questions for weeks and who contribute hardly anything to the Site participants."

Amen.

Why do some people seem to find this concept of earning the right instead of buying it, so terribly disgusting? Why do some folks fiercely defend the current system, where one has to purchase the right to ask questions, regardless of how much one actually contributes to Proz? I can only imagine why that might be...

Laura Hastings-Brownstein
Laura Hastings-Brownstein
Local time: 10:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Limits are good Aug 30, 2006

I understand that the appearance that one can "buy" more opportunites to ask questions is sort of strange, but on the other hand, usually the "wannabees" and other translators who shouldn't be translating in the first place, often ask so many questions about terms in a document that it soon becomes obvious that that person should not be performing the translation.

I will never forget one evening when a person was translating a document out of their native language into a language th
... See more
I understand that the appearance that one can "buy" more opportunites to ask questions is sort of strange, but on the other hand, usually the "wannabees" and other translators who shouldn't be translating in the first place, often ask so many questions about terms in a document that it soon becomes obvious that that person should not be performing the translation.

I will never forget one evening when a person was translating a document out of their native language into a language that was not their native language and they had absolutely no idea how to do this.

It seemed annoying to me to see these simple terms being requested by this incompetent translator.

Usually (of course, not always) those that are not professional do not have a Platinum membership.

I know that ProZ is not perfect, but what is? I commend ProZ for continually trying to improve their site. Many of the changes that have been made are excellent, and I support htis one as well.

ProZ is the best place to ask if you are stumped by a translation problem, but hopefully, the problem will be genuine and not just because you aren't qualified to do the translation in the first place.

Laura
Collapse

Yago Moreno Lopez
Yago Moreno Lopez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
BUY THE 6th AND FOLLOWING QUESTIONS Sep 1, 2006

Wouldn't it be enough to make people pay (with Kudoz points, or BrowniZ points, or whatever) for the following questions over their limits, increasing the "price" of each additional question?

It would also mean that those that make many questions but never answer any will be obliged to answer usefully (getting points for it) other people questions. This would avoid people asking 500 questions and answering none.

Just a suggestion.

See more
Wouldn't it be enough to make people pay (with Kudoz points, or BrowniZ points, or whatever) for the following questions over their limits, increasing the "price" of each additional question?

It would also mean that those that make many questions but never answer any will be obliged to answer usefully (getting points for it) other people questions. This would avoid people asking 500 questions and answering none.

Just a suggestion.

[Edited at 2006-09-01 17:13]
Collapse

Rosanna Saraceno
Rosanna Saraceno  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
How many kudoz questions may I ask in 24 hours? Sep 10, 2006

Jason Grimes wrote:

As discussed earlier this year, and more recently in this post, limits on the number of questions a member may ask over a 24-hour period have been introduced. The limits are:

1 for non-members
5 for non-platinums
15 for platinums

In addition, askers with 5 or more open questions (older than one week) will not be allowed to ask any further questions.

These limits will be enforced automatically by the system.

If you have any questions or feedback about these changes, please post your comments in this thread.

Best regards,

Jason

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-08-03 17:58]

I am a Platinum member since Sept 6th. How many kudoz questions may I ask in 24 hours?

Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Look at the first post in the topic. Sep 21, 2006

Jason Grimes wrote:

As discussed earlier this year, and more recently in this post, limits on the number of questions a member may ask over a 24-hour period have been introduced. The limits are:

1 for non-members
5 for non-platinums
15 for platinums

In addition, askers with 5 or more open questions (older than one week) will not be allowed to ask any further questions.

These limits will be enforced automatically by the system.

If you have any questions or feedback about these changes, please post your comments in this thread.

Best regards,

Jason

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-08-03 17:58]

Cándida Artime Peñeñori
Cándida Artime Peñeñori
Cuba
Local time: 13:49
English to Spanish
Fair enough. Nov 27, 2006

Some people are misusing this opportunity. I have found out that some askers have never (!) answered a question. Frankly...

Minga
Minga  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 14:49
English to Spanish
HOW DO I REJOIN??? Jan 17, 2007

I agree that if one doesn´t pay, there has to be a limit
What i don´t understand is why i can´t and haven´t been able to ask one more question for days and days in a row just because i exceeded the limit (of course i didn´t notice i had until i was mailed)... so please tell me how do i do know to be able to ask again...?????????
my questions (most) have been answered and I need this forum to help me in a very very difficult translation. THANK YOU VERY MUCH
Minga

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Limit on open questions Jan 17, 2007

Minga wrote:

I agree that if one doesn´t pay, there has to be a limit
What i don´t understand is why i can´t and haven´t been able to ask one more question for days and days in a row just because i exceeded the limit (of course i didn´t notice i had until i was mailed)... so please tell me how do i do know to be able to ask again...?????????
my questions (most) have been answered and I need this forum to help me in a very very difficult translation. THANK YOU VERY MUCH
Minga

Hi Minga,

the form used to post any KudoZ question includes the following message:

In response to requests from members, ProZ.com has introduced limits on the number of KudoZ questions an asker may submit in a 24-hour period. The number of questions that can be asked each 24 hours depends on the asker's membership level:

- Non-registered site users: 1
- Registered users: 5, up to 20 per week
- ProZ.com members: 15, up to 60 per week This feature is reserved for members only.

In addition, askers with more than 10 questions that have been open for more than a week are asked to close their questions before asking new ones.

In your case you have exceded the limit on open questions, as you have at least 10 open questions that are at least a week old. Ao the first thing you would do would be to grade and close your old questions.

Regards,
Enrique

Regards

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
What about open questions without answers Feb 13, 2007

Hi,

What about open questions without answers? I have a few of these. Some of them are there for months. And what about open questions where I rejected answers, because they did not make any sense?

Do these types of open questions limit the number of questions I can ask?

Regards,

Piotr

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Only questions with valid answers count in the limit of open questions Feb 13, 2007

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

What about open questions without answers? I have a few of these. Some of them are there for months. And what about open questions where I rejected answers, because they did not make any sense?

Do these types of open questions limit the number of questions I can ask?

Hi Piotr,

No, open questions without answers (or with all answers so far rejected by you) do not count in your limit of open questions.

For this limit to act you must have at leat ten questions older than a week that are open and have at least an answer that has not been rejected by you.

Regards,
Enrique

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Limits have been instituted on the number of questions one can ask in 24 hours

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »