Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
KudoZ: "thank you" in response to peer agrees seems odd to me. (RU-EN and DE-EN pairs)
Thread poster: Susan Welsh
Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Why? Jun 18, 2009

Susan Welsh wrote:
As we say in New York, "oy, veh!!!"

By this auto-reply option your problems will be solved Susan

Or another suggestion:
- An option like; "I don't want to be thanked" so under your agree the comment place will be automatically closed and you will be happy.

[Edited at 2009-06-18 23:53 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:00
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
About saying "thank you" and why automated "thank yous" are spam. Jun 19, 2009

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:

What about an auto-thank option in the Kudoz Dashboard?
Of course only for Agrees.
Other (neutral and disagrees) comments may be replied by the user.

At least in my language pair, I got to know a lot of my colleagues in person (powwows!). Or we exchange personal emails. Or we are each others' clients or vendors. The heck will I do to ignore their efforts to back up or improve any of my 2 cents. Even if they disagree.

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Then you may not... Jun 19, 2009

Nicole Schnell wrote:

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:

What about an auto-thank option in the Kudoz Dashboard?
Of course only for Agrees.
Other (neutral and disagrees) comments may be replied by the user.

At least in my language pair, I got to know a lot of my colleagues in person (powwows!). Or we exchange personal emails. Or we are each others' clients or vendors. The heck will I do to ignore their efforts to back up or improve any of my 2 cents. Even if they disagree.

... put a tick in the box of this option

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:00
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Thank you for your feedback Jun 19, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to have a look at my answer and letting me know you agree with it. (It's always nice to get confirmation.)

Thank you for taking the time to have a look at my answer and letting me know that, while it's not entirely wrong, you don't agree. (I appreciate the feedback about why my answer isn't entirely appropriate.)

Thank you for taking the time to have a look at my answer and letting me know that it is wrong or otherwise unacceptable. (I
... See more
Thank you for taking the time to have a look at my answer and letting me know you agree with it. (It's always nice to get confirmation.)

Thank you for taking the time to have a look at my answer and letting me know that, while it's not entirely wrong, you don't agree. (I appreciate the feedback about why my answer isn't entirely appropriate.)

Thank you for taking the time to have a look at my answer and letting me know that it is wrong or otherwise unacceptable. (I'm grateful for learning something new - I won't make that mistake again.)
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:00
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
It's a useless thing. Jun 19, 2009

I never sent and would never send a thank-you reply to anyone for agreeing to my answer; and I never felt very happy when I got a thank-you note from someone for my agreeing to his or her answer.

I agree with the point that it is totally a waste of time for everyone to exchange thank you notes in Kudoz. Some may argue that it is only 2 words plus one click but it is really a lot of work if you are very active in Kudoz. When I was active in Kodoz, I had to delete many "thank you" ema
... See more
I never sent and would never send a thank-you reply to anyone for agreeing to my answer; and I never felt very happy when I got a thank-you note from someone for my agreeing to his or her answer.

I agree with the point that it is totally a waste of time for everyone to exchange thank you notes in Kudoz. Some may argue that it is only 2 words plus one click but it is really a lot of work if you are very active in Kudoz. When I was active in Kodoz, I had to delete many "thank you" emails everyday. It was sometimes irritating.

[Edited at 2009-06-19 01:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-06-19 03:48 GMT]
Collapse

GILLES MEUNIER
GILLES MEUNIER  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:00
English to French
Thank you Jun 19, 2009

Many translators who use it do not answer to the peergrading 'neutral' or 'disagree' so I don't think it's very useful for the asker as the answerer doesn't wish to justify his answer. It seems like an automatic message.

[Edited at 2009-06-19 14:37 GMT]

liz askew
liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:00
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Why make a big fuss over a "thank you"? Jun 19, 2009

Why do some people have to put a slant on two simple words. Can't we just take them at face value?

When I thank somebody it is because I appreciate them and what they have done , what is wrong with that?

I shall continue to do so. Those who don't like it, well just delete the comment or ignore it, but don't make a meal out of it.

Cheers!
Liz Askew

writeaway wrote:

Thank you for backing my answer.
Thank you for thinkin
... See more
Why do some people have to put a slant on two simple words. Can't we just take them at face value?

When I thank somebody it is because I appreciate them and what they have done , what is wrong with that?

I shall continue to do so. Those who don't like it, well just delete the comment or ignore it, but don't make a meal out of it.

Cheers!
Liz Askew

writeaway wrote:

Thank you for backing my answer.
Thank you for thinking I'm correct.
Thank you for helping to sway people away from the right answer to mine.
Thank you for helping to convince Asker to select me.
Thank you for helping me earn Kudoz pointZ.
etc.
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Usually, I do Jun 22, 2009

Lingua 5B wrote:
Do you thank your friends, colleagues and family when they happen to agree with your opinion on something (yes, you may be happy about it, but you won't say thank you)?

At least in the U.S., some variant of "Yes, thank you" is not uncommon in this context.

Sonja Köppen
Sonja Köppen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Thank you! ;) Jun 22, 2009

Without having read another post but the initial one: Thank you, Susan, I couldn't have said it better. I also find it very weird to thank people for a shared opinion, never do it and feel mildly awkward because that's an exception that can be misunderstood (but always state "please don't take personal that I do not thank you but if I did I'd feel as if I'd imply you did so to do me a favour, thus I'd be questioning your professionality" instead?).

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 06:00
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Misunderstanding/ misinterpretation Jun 22, 2009

Steven Capsuto wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:
Do you thank your friends, colleagues and family when they happen to agree with your opinion on something (yes, you may be happy about it, but you won't say thank you)?

At least in the U.S., some variant of "Yes, thank you" is not uncommon in this context.

Then I guess you missed the point I was implying here.

It's not doing favors I was talking about, but giving opinions. I'm not doing anyone any favor by expressing my opinion on something, unless I'm paid to lobby for someone. I see no other way in doing favors through opinions ( in a democratic society). Or if I'm asked to advise someone on something, and I help through advising them ( which is not the case on KudoZ, it's a " free" participation and nobody is asked for anything specifically).

For example, on these message boards, I've found some quality advice and opinions by peers that I find extremely useful and informative. I believe they truly earn " points" and my praises, is there any way I could assign them? ( I'm serious about this). How many times each of you have read something on the message boards that helped you in some aspect of your work? And how many times did you say " thank you" on the message boards after having read that useful information? I'm sure the number of " thank you-s" on the message boards is not even close to that on KudoZ.

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nope, I got the context Jun 25, 2009

Lingua 5B wrote:

Steven Capsuto wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

Then I guess you missed the point I was implying here.

I understand your point, but I have certainly heard people in the U.S. say "thank you" in exactly this context. The threshold for thanking people is different in different cultures, and can even vary regionally.

[Edited at 2009-06-25 02:34 GMT]

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 23:00
Spanish
+ ...
One thank you is OK but after the 15th one, it loses its meaning Jun 25, 2009

One thank you is OK, but if 15 different people agree with your answer, you have'd to thank the 15 of them. And if you're just going to copy/paste each 'thank you' for each person who've agreed, why not using an automated way to say thank you, so you might as well not say anything at all. What's the point?

Having to come up with a different way to say thank you to each person who agrees would be the sincere thing to do, but that's just too time-consuming.

[Edited at 2009-06-2
... See more
One thank you is OK, but if 15 different people agree with your answer, you have'd to thank the 15 of them. And if you're just going to copy/paste each 'thank you' for each person who've agreed, why not using an automated way to say thank you, so you might as well not say anything at all. What's the point?

Having to come up with a different way to say thank you to each person who agrees would be the sincere thing to do, but that's just too time-consuming.

[Edited at 2009-06-25 03:56 GMT]
Collapse

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 16:00
Chinese to English
Me too Jun 25, 2009

Unusual, I don't do it. But I thank for Neutrals and Disagrees.

[Edited at 2009-06-25 05:26 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ: "thank you" in response to peer agrees seems odd to me. (RU-EN and DE-EN pairs)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »