Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
KudoZ: "thank you" in response to peer agrees seems odd to me. (RU-EN and DE-EN pairs)
Thread poster: Susan Welsh
Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:21
German to English
Exactly Jun 18, 2009

Luca Ruella wrote:
People saying thank you is odd.

People talking about it over and over again in the forums is odd too.

)

There are three threads about KudoZ at the top of the most recent posts list at the moment.

So, what else is new in the translation world?

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 21:51
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
I agree completely with you Susan Jun 18, 2009

Susan Welsh wrote:In some Kudoz interchanges in which I participate, answerers routinely thank those who agree with them. This has always seemed odd to me, since the point of agreeing (or disagreeing) is not to do a favor for the ANSWERER, but to help the ASKER decide what is the best. For that reason, I don't thank people who agree with me--not because I'm not grateful, which I am. (I also like to cut down on the traffic in people's email in-boxes.)

You are so right!

I'm sorry if this seems rude

You are so wrong !

Above all:
Anything in a communication that MIGHT indicate or can be suspected as indicating some sort of back-scratching ("I thank for your agree so that you might agree with my answers once more")

Also: KudoZ is a professional business deal: "You help me and I'll pay you with KudoZ points"
That is thanks enough! Fair deal isn't it?

Mats
(Old KudoZ hand)

Elisabete Cunha
Elisabete Cunha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:51
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I say "thank you" in both situations Jun 18, 2009

Whether the person agrees or not with the answer I provided, I always say "thank you", which means for me "thanks for taking the time to evaluate my answer and give your opinion about it". It's as simple as that.

Jabberwock wrote:

For me it is all about the courtesy of a reply. Someone took their time to agree with my answer why can't I get back to them with "Thank you!". It is only two words.

This is the way I see it, too. I'm simply thanking people for taking time. No ulterior motives, no big deal. But on the flip side, I certainly don't consider people arrogant for *not* offering their thanks.

I see... Then, of course, you are also thanking them for disagreeing? After all, it takes as much time etc.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 22:51
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Yes, it is a courtesy Jun 18, 2009

however, it is one I'd better do without- as I already receive huge amount of emails, I do not support cluttering other peoples' (and mine) email boxes with thanks.

It may be different if you receive 5 emails a day, but I receive hundreds...

Besides yes, I do not see what for particularly in this case thanks is for. If somebody suggests a translation of "a spade" as "a spade" and I agree, what I'm thanked for???

Uldis

Andrei Yefimov wrote:
For me it is all about the courtesy of a reply. Someone took their time to agree with my answer why can't I get back to them with "Thank you!". It is only two words.

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Thank you Jun 18, 2009

I only say "thank you" when the agreer add a useful comment to his/her "agree". Otherwise, no.

Stéphanie

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
I say "thank you" because someone took the time to think Jun 18, 2009

Hi,

I agree that there are two sides to the coin and different attitudes behind the thank yous, just as there are different motives for answering Kudoz questions.

I use the Kudoz to learn, whenever possible to share the few things I know, and -a lot- to make up for working alone in front of a computer instead of in an office with 30 other people. Just as some people like dogs, I basically enjoy the company of humans. This is why I appreciate not only "agrees" and "thank
... See more
Hi,

I agree that there are two sides to the coin and different attitudes behind the thank yous, just as there are different motives for answering Kudoz questions.

I use the Kudoz to learn, whenever possible to share the few things I know, and -a lot- to make up for working alone in front of a computer instead of in an office with 30 other people. Just as some people like dogs, I basically enjoy the company of humans. This is why I appreciate not only "agrees" and "thank yous" but, most of all, intelligent comments to my occasional questions and answers. Believe me, much worse than not getting thanked is getting an answer which shows that the person didn't even read the whole question and is simply after the points.

Once I was asking about the best translation of a term into English (I work into Spanish, this was an exception) and I really needed those suggestions, but I was also a bit too stressed out about it. I remember that Kim added a reference with a quote from Shakespeare... Brilliant. It made my day.

So I agree 100% with you, Richard: I think you were brought up right. I have also found that saying thank you (with sincerity, of course) is basically good for the person who says it and not only for the person who is thanked; so there you have another consequence of your education.

L

[Edited at 2009-06-18 16:57 GMT]
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 14:51
Spanish
+ ...
No thanks Jun 18, 2009

I'm with you, Mats, Uldis, Stéphanie and the rest of the 'no-thankers' simply because I don't think a 'Thank you', a smilie face or a clicking a button adds anything to the discussion. I do appreciate the time a person takes to agree, but that should go without saying. I actually have the Kudoz notifications disabled. A while ago, I proposed an option to get a notification only for the non-empty agrees, the neutrals and the disagrees, which do add something to the conversation.

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:51
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Cultural differences Jun 18, 2009

I always assumed the "thank yous" were "thank you for improving the discussion." I thank people if they disagree with me and they're right, since that means I've learned something and become a better translator.

I think this all falls into the category of those cultural differences that crop up here on a variety of subjects.

It's not just the thank yous.

For instance, in these forums, people from certain countries repeatedly vent their anger about receivi
... See more
I always assumed the "thank yous" were "thank you for improving the discussion." I thank people if they disagree with me and they're right, since that means I've learned something and become a better translator.

I think this all falls into the category of those cultural differences that crop up here on a variety of subjects.

For instance, in these forums, people from certain countries repeatedly vent their anger about receiving e-mails that don't begin with an acknowledgment of their name (as opposed to "Hello" or "Dear Colleague"). In their culture, I suppose, it seems rude and this angers them.

Conversely, there was a thread not long ago about continental Europeans who visit the UK and find the constant stream of "pleases" and "thank yous" and "sorrys" to be phony and insincere, since one wouldn't say anything in their home culture in equivalent situations.

These differences make life interesting, but it means it's easy for us to step on each other's toes unwittingly in international forums like ProZ.

[Edited at 2009-06-18 19:26 GMT]
Collapse

Arthur Godinho
Arthur Godinho  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not necessarily Jun 18, 2009

writeaway wrote:

Thank you for helping to sway people away from the right answer to mine.
Thank you for helping to convince Asker to select me.

I do not agree with the two points above. The Agree/Disagree system is not a popularity contest. It has happened to me that even though I had the most number of Agrees in my answer, the asker selected someone else’s answer as ‘Most Helpful’ in his/her case.

The only thing an ‘Agree’ means is that that particular person would have given this answer (or something very similar) had you not entered your answer first.

Remember: the asker can select any answer he/she desires or even close the question without using any of the suggested answers.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I confess, I am another no-thanker Jun 18, 2009

I am a well mannered and polite person, I believe, and I really do appreciate agrees to my answers, but only very exceptionally I say thank you to agreers (it depends on my mood, or maybe if it's someone I didn't *see* on ProZ for a very long time or something like this, or if the agreer added some valuable proposal, then I may send a thank you). Nor do I expect thank yous for my own agrees, of course.

I don't believe it depends on cultural difference or the like, though. Everyone b
... See more
I am a well mannered and polite person, I believe, and I really do appreciate agrees to my answers, but only very exceptionally I say thank you to agreers (it depends on my mood, or maybe if it's someone I didn't *see* on ProZ for a very long time or something like this, or if the agreer added some valuable proposal, then I may send a thank you). Nor do I expect thank yous for my own agrees, of course.

I don't believe it depends on cultural difference or the like, though. Everyone behaves differently. Anyway, personal judgements would be out of place in my opinion, there are too many individual considerations behind.
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:51
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Brilliant! Jun 18, 2009

Steven Capsuto wrote:

Cultural differences

For instance, in these forums, people from certain countries repeatedly vent their anger about receiving e-mails that don't begin with an acknowledgment of their name (as opposed to "Hello" or "Dear Colleague"). In their culture, I suppose, it seems rude and this angers them.

Conversely, there was a thread not long ago about continental Europeans who visit the UK and find the constant stream of "pleases" and "thank yous" and "sorrys" to be phony and insincere, since one wouldn't say anything in their home culture in equivalent situations.

These differences make life interesting, but it means it's easy for us to step on each other's toes unwittingly in international forums like ProZ.

[Edited at 2009-06-18 19:26 GMT]

There is nothing to add.

Best,

Nicole (notorious "Thank you"-sayer)

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Not a cultural thing, in my opinion Jun 18, 2009

Do you thank your friends, colleagues and family when they happen to agree with your opinion on something (yes, you may be happy about it, but you won't say thank you)? When you are at a conference, and for example you are voting for something, do you thank other peers when they vote for the same suggestion as you?

It's not quite a context for " thanking" anyone.. The agreer is not doing any favor to me, but rather we (peers) are working together trying to help the asker. Therefore,
... See more
Do you thank your friends, colleagues and family when they happen to agree with your opinion on something (yes, you may be happy about it, but you won't say thank you)? When you are at a conference, and for example you are voting for something, do you thank other peers when they vote for the same suggestion as you?

It's not quite a context for " thanking" anyone.. The agreer is not doing any favor to me, but rather we (peers) are working together trying to help the asker. Therefore, it's only the asker who should ultimately say " thank you" ( and oddly, I've seen quite a big number of askers who actually never say " thank you").
Collapse

Anne-Marie Grant (X)
Anne-Marie Grant (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:51
French to English
+ ...
I agree with you, Susan Jun 18, 2009

Now say thank you

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
An Auto Thank option Jun 18, 2009

What about an auto-thank option in the Kudoz Dashboard?
Of course only for Agrees.
Other (neutral and disagrees) comments may be replied by the user.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Auto-thank option Jun 18, 2009

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:

What about an auto-thank option in the Kudoz Dashboard?

As we say in New York, "oy, veh!!!"

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ: "thank you" in response to peer agrees seems odd to me. (RU-EN and DE-EN pairs)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »