Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
Local time: 13:45
English to German
+ ...
Now that's an excellent idea! Jun 10, 2009

Roman Bulkiewicz wrote:

counter-proposal

I'd suggest rounding it up to 10 minutes.
That might encourage some answerers to (at least!) read the question before they answer.

I'm all for it!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Completely agree! Jun 10, 2009

Roman Bulkiewicz wrote:
That might encourage some answerers to (at least!) read the question before they answer.

Me too! I completely second that! This would definitely encourage more careful, thoughtful, useful answers!!

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:45
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
What exactly does this have to do with Ali Bayraktar's question? Jun 10, 2009

Roman Bulkiewicz wrote:

Just curious.

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's OK for me Jun 10, 2009

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Roman Bulkiewicz wrote:

Just curious.

I have already understood that it is not important. (honestly, I swear)
I have no more questions.

So, I will be glad for the further brainstorms whatever they would be.

[Edited at 2009-06-10 12:21 GMT]

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:45
Dutch to English
+ ...
FIFO? Jun 10, 2009

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:

In such cases FIFO rules may help the asker to eliminate the answers.

Don't you mean LIFO (last in, first out)?

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
First in First out Jun 10, 2009

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:

In such cases FIFO rules may help the asker to eliminate the answers.

Don't you mean LIFO (last in, first out)?

That's what I meant at the beginning of my topic

But now I think I should pay less attention to what happens in KudoZ.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:45
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
LIFO, FIFO, whatever, but not GIGO Jun 10, 2009

As far as the KudoZ glossary is concerned, beware of GIGO (garbage in, garbage out).

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I give points to the answerer who has least Jun 10, 2009

First of all, I do try to give the points to the most helpful answerer.

This is not always easy, quite regardless of who came in first. Getting there before my deadline is probably most important!

Our colleagues on the other side of the globe sometimes come in with good ideas just when we are getting tired here in Europe. It definitely pays to wait overnight and see what comes in from across the pond.

We can't divide the points, unfortunately, so if I reall
... See more
First of all, I do try to give the points to the most helpful answerer.

This is not always easy, quite regardless of who came in first. Getting there before my deadline is probably most important!

Our colleagues on the other side of the globe sometimes come in with good ideas just when we are getting tired here in Europe. It definitely pays to wait overnight and see what comes in from across the pond.

We can't divide the points, unfortunately, so if I really cannot decide any other way, I give them to the answerer who has least. There are some extremely helpful people in my pairs who have lots of points, but they know they can't win every time. So I try to encourage the ones who are new to the game - as long as their answers are helpful, of course!

But THANKS to everyone who posts good questions with plenty of context, and THANKS to those who give relevant answers, references and explanations.

You are the ones who make it the useful resource it is, even if nothing is perfect.

Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:45
German to English
Slowing down the process Jun 10, 2009

Here's an interesting discussion of the KudoZ race for points.

http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/32379-slowing_down_the_kudoz_process.html

I actually won a battle I waged years ago to permit not-for-points KudoZ ANSWERS, as opposed to NFP questions. The solution we got was the addition of a reference section to KudoZ. Now, when a difficult
... See more
Here's an interesting discussion of the KudoZ race for points.

http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/32379-slowing_down_the_kudoz_process.html

I actually won a battle I waged years ago to permit not-for-points KudoZ ANSWERS, as opposed to NFP questions. The solution we got was the addition of a reference section to KudoZ. Now, when a difficult pro-level term is queried, we can slow down the process by entering definitions, if we can't actually come up with a translation at the moment. All too often we see mindless answers dashed off within seconds when the answerers don't even know what the term means. If the asker is actually a pro translator (big IF, these days) a good definition will give her pause and she is less likely to take the first answer offered and close the question. A good definition will also give colleagues something solid to work with, and in many cases a the result will be a good translation.

[Edited at 2009-06-10 14:47 GMT]
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:45
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
jht Jun 10, 2009

LittleBalu wrote:

...I'd sometimes like to split points when there are several good suggestions, but I never bother about who was "first" or "second" in the race.

I agree. Indeed, I have suggested this two or three times....Tha would be a fair solution for this issue without implementing fast -and-furious Kudos answers.

Andreas Nieckele
Andreas Nieckele  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:45
English to Portuguese
Agree Jun 10, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Roman Bulkiewicz wrote:

Me too! I completely second that! This would definitely encourage more careful, thoughtful, useful answers!!

Yes, I also believe this is a great idea. In fact, there should be no time indication at all.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Show seconds (not just minutes) in answer times

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »