Show seconds (not just minutes) in answer times
Thread poster: Ali Bayraktar
Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:59
English to French
No Jun 10, 2009

When I ask a question (except style questions), I ALWAYS choose a documented answer, even if the same answer was posted up to - say - 5 minutes before...I hate people who hurry to give a suggestion no explanation at all and I don't look at the time of answering when closing my questions.

Stéphanie

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Never been bothered by being "beaten by a whisker" Jun 10, 2009

I've always presumed that if my answer comes in below someone else's it means that the other answer reached Proz first.

Can't say it bothers me a great deal anyway:

First of all, "you win some you lose some" must be applied. If you're going to get all het up about being beaten by that whisker, then, my friends, you should try an activity that doesn't cause you so much frustration.

Secondly it isn't really a race, although it's always nice to get agrees a
... See more
I've always presumed that if my answer comes in below someone else's it means that the other answer reached Proz first.

Can't say it bothers me a great deal anyway:

First of all, "you win some you lose some" must be applied. If you're going to get all het up about being beaten by that whisker, then, my friends, you should try an activity that doesn't cause you so much frustration.

Secondly it isn't really a race, although it's always nice to get agrees and/or points. I can't deny that I occasionally figuratively stamp my little foot about not being the one to get the glory and recognition, but since I am now a fully fledged grown-up and have been for rather longer than I care to think, I have actually learned how to control this response, and take it philosophically. And yes, I do preen a little bit when I get the positive comments. It's good for my morale at times.

But the most important thing is providing help for a fellow prozian (and the help that I have so often got myself), with back-up references where possible and always with some kind of explanatory comment. If two like answers come in, then it may well be indicative that the answerers are on the right track towards solving the asker's poser. I know that some people delete when this happens, but the repetition is useful in assessing the options.
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:59
Dutch to English
+ ...
Do away with points altogether and be done with the issue Jun 10, 2009

Honestly people, it's not a question of who can draw pistols first -- that mentality is best left for Tomb Raider II gamers ...

[Edited at 2009-06-10 12:21 GMT]

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Off topic/on topic Jun 10, 2009

texjax DDS PhD wrote:

Why do people take kudoz so seriously?
I just wonder...

Texjax, I also don't take Kudoz so seriously (I hardly participate), basically because of the time factor: my own time and the time you require to participate, but I also think that the time factor involved in Kudoz definitely makes it feel a bit like a race/a game.

But don't forget that some people probably take Kudoz very seriously because it improves your rating in the profile directory.

Ali, as already commented by others, I also agree that time should not be the decisive factor for awarding points, but I do agree that there could be some kind of delay when people answer, to avoid repeating answers and thus avoid any issues when a similar answer has been posted, by 2 different people, with a minor time difference.

That is, for example, once an answer is posted, the system could perhaps generate a 30-second (or more) delay during which no answers are allowed to be entered, so that there is enough time for the last answer to be seen before anyone else starts typing another answer. That way people would see that, in case they were going to type the same answer, it had already been posted. Just an idea, but there could be many other possibilities, I am sure.

Of course, my suggestion is just a technical possibility, but it takes us back to what Texjax had commented, if we should take Kudoz so seriously and, therefore, if it's worth getting upset if someone else's answer was chosen simply because this person wrote it a few seconds earlier than mine.

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My intention Jun 10, 2009

Thanks so much for such sincere and serious comments.

First of all I had no thoughts regarding the answerers when I proposed this. I was thinking about the Askers.

Imagine that you have asked a question.

There were 5 helpers and 2 of them provided their answers at the same minute.

They all provided many helpful sources. And you can say there were 5 equal efforts.

In such cases FIFO rules may help the asker to eliminate the answers
... See more
Thanks so much for such sincere and serious comments.

First of all I had no thoughts regarding the answerers when I proposed this. I was thinking about the Askers.

They all provided many helpful sources. And you can say there were 5 equal efforts.

In such cases FIFO rules may help the asker to eliminate the answers.

But when the asker comes to take a decision after eliminating them on time basis and there are two equal efforts, so how would she/he decide in such cases?

By basing on what?
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I'd second the proposal of Aniello Jun 10, 2009

which would be the most scientifical method in my opinion.

And still more:

I suggest that the answerer whose answer came in first (within a maximum of 2 minutes after the question) for at least 15 times a day and for 3 days in a row be awarded let's say 10 extra KudoZ-points. Furthermore, there should be an extra ranking for the "fastest answerer of the week" based on an average of 50 answers.

By the way, did anyone ever get any advantage of the KudoZ poin
... See more
which would be the most scientifical method in my opinion.

And still more:

I suggest that the answerer whose answer came in first (within a maximum of 2 minutes after the question) for at least 15 times a day and for 3 days in a row be awarded let's say 10 extra KudoZ-points. Furthermore, there should be an extra ranking for the "fastest answerer of the week" based on an average of 50 answers.

By the way, did anyone ever get any advantage of the KudoZ points? I didn't. But maybe the fastest answerer thing will finally do the trick! The winner could get 40.000 words by impressed customers to be translated within a day.
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Advantage Jun 10, 2009

Christel Zipfel wrote:

By the way, did anyone ever get any advantage of the KudoZ points? I didn't.

Actually, if you've ever had any clients contacting you via Proz, it's probably thanks to your Kudoz points - I just did a translator directory search for It>De translators in Tech/Engineering, and you're third on the list. Perhaps you're even higher in other fields and/or language pairs - I didn't check.

Anyway, in response to M. Ali, I see your point, but in that case I'd give the points to whoever had provided the most useful references - and if they were all useful, I'd probably just toss a coin and be done with it. While I can understand your wish to give the points to whoever was quickest (all else being equal), the result would be Kudoz becoming even more of a race than it already is, and this would not be a good thing.

[Edited at 2009-06-10 10:34 GMT]

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Most useful Jun 10, 2009

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:
By basing on what?

Quite honestly, in reality, if people have bothered to explain and/or provide sources, i.e. make the answer actually helpful, then the answers are never going to be posted at exactly equal times, or at least, if they did, it would be a big coincidence. And one of those answers is bound to be more helpful than the other(s).

The only time you are going to get exactly the same answers at exactly the same time (measured in minutes) with exactly the same degree of helpfulness is when there is no additional info added, i.e. when apart from the actual answer itself, the rest is just "IMO" or "**" or "HTH" (all of which should be bannable offences, combined with amputation of the thumbs, but I digress).

In which case, under your "5 answer" scenario, you would be doing the system a big favour by picking one of the answerers who actually provided help, not just the term.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:59
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I see. Jun 10, 2009

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:

Right. But it is about the answers that you receive. You are the one who needs help. The answerers do all the work for you.

Okay. Done.

So, "eliminating" is the way to go? Weird, when I choose my favorite answer, I rarely use a shotgun.

But when the asker comes to take a decision after eliminating them on time basis and there are two equal efforts, so how would she/he decide in such cases?

By basing on what?

Common sense?

[/quote]

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I just proposed seconds Jun 10, 2009

Happily I have not proposed a time measurement unit more bigger than the seconds.
If I receive such reactions just for the seconds then may be I would have been killed if I proposed years or months here.

I am very lucky by the way

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
1.000 KudoZ points for 1 new client Jun 10, 2009

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:

If I receive such reactions just for the seconds then may be I would have been killed if I proposed years or months here.

I do not understand what you mean. Can you elaborate, Ali?

By the way, someone out there who wants to "buy" my KudoZ points?
I offer 1.000 points for one new client

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Introducing seconds is rather pointles Jun 10, 2009

but if you insist on choosing answer on the basis of time than the answers (not "Summary of answers provided" but the full answers) are listed chronologically and the one on top has been posted earlier - of course the definite answer would require help from Proz team but I believe that it solves problem with seconds anyway.

Having said that I believe that time is not as relevant as effort during research and good sources of reference.

BR
S

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Email notifications are the key! Jun 10, 2009

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:

Actually there is something the asker can use: the first answerer's reply generates the first email you get as an asker.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:59
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Okay, here it comes: Jun 10, 2009

Without any exception, ALL of our freelancers were chosen after close observation of their KudoZ answers. The REALLY good ones THINK before they type. Their answers always are well-thought-out and elaborated. Point-grabbers are black-listed.

We have never been disappointed.

BTW, that's the way how I obtained my largest clients.

Thank you in advance for not turning our KudoZ forum into Wheel of Fortune. [buzzer sound off]...
See more
Without any exception, ALL of our freelancers were chosen after close observation of their KudoZ answers. The REALLY good ones THINK before they type. Their answers always are well-thought-out and elaborated. Point-grabbers are black-listed.

We have never been disappointed.

BTW, that's the way how I obtained my largest clients.

Thank you in advance for not turning our KudoZ forum into Wheel of Fortune. [buzzer sound off]
Collapse

Roman Bulkiewicz
Roman Bulkiewicz  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:59
Member (2004)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
counter-proposal Jun 10, 2009

I'd suggest rounding it up to 10 minutes.
That might encourage some answerers to (at least!) read the question before they answer.

Lutz Molderings (MSc, BSc) wrote:

I'd sometimes like to split points when there are several good suggestions,...

Yes, me too.

+1

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Show seconds (not just minutes) in answer times

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »