Workflow Studio and CafeTran with Tracked Changes – Interoperability
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Apr 7, 2022

Here's a workflow to cooperate with clients/colleagues who use Trados Studio if you want to use segment comments and tracked changes:

1. (Let your client/colleague) Create a Studio project.
  2. (Let your client/colleague) Create a package (SDLPPX or SDLRPX) or copy the SDLXLIFF files to your CafeTran Espresso work folder.
  3. Open the package or SDLXLIFF file(s) in CafeTran Espresso.
  4. Translate in CafeTran Espresso.
  5. Create a Studio return pac... See more
Here's a workflow to cooperate with clients/colleagues who use Trados Studio if you want to use segment comments and tracked changes:

1. (Let your client/colleague) Create a Studio project.
  2. (Let your client/colleague) Create a package (SDLPPX or SDLRPX) or copy the SDLXLIFF files to your CafeTran Espresso work folder.
  3. Open the package or SDLXLIFF file(s) in CafeTran Espresso.
  4. Translate in CafeTran Espresso.
  5. Create a Studio return package (SDLRPX) and open it in Studio or copy the translated SDLXLIFF files from your CafeTran Espresso folder to the target language folder inside the Studio project folder.
  6. Add comments and/or make changes while Track Changes is active.
  7. Repeat steps 2 and 3.
  8. Filter on Tracked Changes (in a largish project; if you want). Use the appropriate features to handle tracked changes and comments in CafeTran Espresso.

Project in Studio:

Same project in CafeTran Espresso:

Features to handle tracked changes:

Screenshot of a segment with tracked changes:
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:42
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Comments Apr 7, 2022

Useful, thank you. I can imagine that tracked changes might be tricky, but is it usually the case that CafeTran cannot save segment comments? (Genuine question - I don't know CafeTran well.)

Dan

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
-- Apr 7, 2022

--

[Edited at 2022-04-08 05:56 GMT]

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
track changes in TM, not in editor Apr 7, 2022

My comments about track changes showing in the TM has nothing to do with regular track changes within the target editor. We use the latter all the time. Below is my explanation of what I miss most in MemoQ that was a good feature in Trados:

[You will have to imagine it because I could not make it paste the snipped image here, and I tried several ways. It also wouldn't keep my text in bold that I copied and pasted to here.]

Source | Evaluaciones estandarizadas adicion
... See more
My comments about track changes showing in the TM has nothing to do with regular track changes within the target editor. We use the latter all the time. Below is my explanation of what I miss most in MemoQ that was a good feature in Trados:

[You will have to imagine it because I could not make it paste the snipped image here, and I tried several ways. It also wouldn't keep my text in bold that I copied and pasted to here.]

Source | Evaluaciones estandarizadas adicionales: (mínimo una) | my TM source exactly same | my TM: Evaluaciones estandarizadas adicionales (mínimo una):

In the example above, MemoQ shows the translated segment highlighted in red because it is different from my TM target. At least the red warns me that there is a difference, but nothing showing the actual difference. Trados would have shown track changes of deletion and addition of the colons ON THE TM SIDE.

Teacher: | Maestra: | my TM Teacher: | my TM Maestro:

In the second example, there is no red highlight in the target, even though it is different from what I have in my TM. I don't think any tags are involved; the source appears to be an exact match. This is what I mean when I say: I have to read the entire translator’s target and my entire TM target to see if there are any differences because track changes don’t show. In this case it isn’t a big deal because it’s only one word. (It is in my TM because we have so many forms that just have that in a field by itself.) But of course, there are long sentences, too. When we used Trados, if there were 98-100% matches, I could choose to not read those segments again because we had already translated and reviewed them before (in agreement with previous translation). For fuzzy matches, I could see at a glance whatever differences there were because track changes showed the differences Between Their Translation and My TM, before I decided whether or not to make any change to their translation. If I remember correctly, track changes showed in both the source and target, so the review process went much quicker than in MemoQ.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Apr 7, 2022

[Edited at 2022-04-08 04:35 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Note this note! Apr 8, 2022

Dan Lucas wrote:

Useful, thank you. I can imagine that tracked changes might be tricky, but is it usually the case that CafeTran cannot save segment comments? (Genuine question - I don't know CafeTran well.)

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thank you for taking interest in CafeTran Espresso!

The Studio comment is shown in the green bar in CTE.

You can edit it in CafeTran Espresso:

Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 07.55.36

Mark Possemiers
Mark Possemiers  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:42
Member (2013)
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
how to switch OFF track changes ... Aug 4, 2023

after receiving a file from a client who needed track changes, it now happens ALL files (even those from word) automatically do as though there is track changes.

It is enormously annoying as tags come up as +1 instead of 1, and moreover the colour is now orange in the target segment.

How do I get rid of track changes in Cafetran? Using the latest version 12.0.2

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:42
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Uncheck the option Aug 9, 2023

You can turn off the Track changes feature via the menu Edit > Track changes > Manage. Just uncheck this menu item.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Workflow Studio and CafeTran with Tracked Changes – Interoperability

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »