a few beginner's questions
Thread poster: Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 17:39
English to Chinese
Jun 27, 2012

Hi! I was working on my first XTM online project yesterday where the client assigned 1,500 segments for me to complete. Since most of these segments were 100% matches, I was able to finish the job within a short period of time. Here are a few issues that I encountered during the process:

1. Is there a keyboard combination to quickly go to the next segment that requires my attention (the red ones)?

2. What is the color code (or color codes) for fuzzy matches? Also,
... See more
Hi! I was working on my first XTM online project yesterday where the client assigned 1,500 segments for me to complete. Since most of these segments were 100% matches, I was able to finish the job within a short period of time. Here are a few issues that I encountered during the process:

1. Is there a keyboard combination to quickly go to the next segment that requires my attention (the red ones)?

2. What is the color code (or color codes) for fuzzy matches? Also, what is the difference between a green M code and a yellow M code? The client instructed that I can ignore the segments marked in green but didn't say anything about the yellow M ones. According to the manual, yellow ones are also 100% matches. Am I right?

3. How do I quickly insert a termbase term to the target side?

4. Does XTM offer the capability of performing find and replace on a range the use specify? For example, if I want to find the phrase "shallow water" for the segments I was assigned to, is there a way to ask XTM to look all these segments during one search, instead of looking at 100 segments each time?

Thank you so much for your help!

Chun-yi
Collapse

XTM Intl
XTM Intl
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:39
XTM Support answers Jun 27, 2012

Hello Chun-yi,

1) Yes there is such keyboard combination which is set by default as "Alt+Arrow right". After you will press this shortcut XTM will take you to next incomplete segment. When you are in the Editor there is menu at left hand side. If you will go to "Settings"-"Shortcut" tab you can check other combinations and also you can change existing ones.

2) The colour code for fuzzy matches is red M. When you are creating a project in XTM there is such option like "S
... See more
Hello Chun-yi,

1) Yes there is such keyboard combination which is set by default as "Alt+Arrow right". After you will press this shortcut XTM will take you to next incomplete segment. When you are in the Editor there is menu at left hand side. If you will go to "Settings"-"Shortcut" tab you can check other combinations and also you can change existing ones.

2) The colour code for fuzzy matches is red M. When you are creating a project in XTM there is such option like "Set 100% matches as done" for "All steps", "First step only" and "All except last step". When you will turn this option on for "All steps", in the Editor you will get only green M. When this option is off you will get yellow M. It means that such segment is 100% matched (M) but it has to be checked (yellow).

3) Unfortunately there is no such option in XTM. You can only view the translation of a term at source side.

4) In the Editor at left hand side menu there is "Find & replace" option. If you will enter phrase that you want to search for, "Find & replace" will take you to the first segment which contains this phrase. Then when you will press "Find" button you will be taken to next segment with searched phrase etc.

If you will have any other questions you can write to us on [email protected].

Kind regards,
XTM Support Team
Collapse

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
comments on term insertion and find & replace function Jun 28, 2012

Dear XTM Support Team,

Thank you for answering my questions. They are really helpful for me to get ready for my next XTM project. I just have two suggestions that I think would faciliate the translation process from a translator's perspective:

1. It would be nice to be able to insert the term that one sees on the source side to the target side by using some kind of keyboard combination, either by default or with customization. Take the project I just did for example,
... See more
Dear XTM Support Team,

Thank you for answering my questions. They are really helpful for me to get ready for my next XTM project. I just have two suggestions that I think would faciliate the translation process from a translator's perspective:

1. It would be nice to be able to insert the term that one sees on the source side to the target side by using some kind of keyboard combination, either by default or with customization. Take the project I just did for example, some of the terms were really long and it was very time-consuming retyping it on the target setment.

2. I did some more testing on the Find and Replace function and just as I said, XTM only does it per screen. In other words, if I am on the screen for segs 1,000-1,100, then XTM only tries to find the word/phrase from segs 1,000-1,100. It doesn't go beyond that and I have to go to 1,100-1,200, retype the word/phrase in the Find box to make XTM perform the same search. Again, this is time-consuming. It would be nice if XTM allows me to specify a range, like 1,000 to 2,500, and find the word/phrase I want to replace in one go.

Other than these, I was overall happy with your CAT environment:)

Thank you.

Cun-yi

XTM Intl wrote:
Hello Chun-yi,

2) The colour code for fuzzy matches is red M. When you are creating a project in XTM there is such option like "Set 100% matches as done" for "All steps", "First step only" and "All except last step". When you will turn this option on for "All steps", in the Editor you will get only green M. When this option is off you will get yellow M. It means that such segment is 100% matched (M) but it has to be checked (yellow).

3) Unfortunately there is no such option in XTM. You can only view the translation of a term at source side.

4) In the Editor at left hand side menu there is "Find & replace" option. If you will enter phrase that you want to search for, "Find & replace" will take you to the first segment which contains this phrase. Then when you will press "Find" button you will be taken to next segment with searched phrase etc.

If you will have any other questions you can write to us on [email protected].

Kind regards,
XTM Support Team
Collapse

XTM Intl
XTM Intl
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:39
RE: comments on term insertion and find & replace function Jun 28, 2012

Hello Chun-yi,

That's good to hear! XTM is very user-friendly tool and I hope you will find it more and more useful as you continue working with it.

Regarding your questions:

1) At the left hans side in the Editor there is mentioned menu and "Settings"-"Options" tab. The first option is "Populate target with source" and when this is turned off ("NO") you will not be able to insert a term on target side. You can only view the translation of such term at sour
... See more
Hello Chun-yi,

That's good to hear! XTM is very user-friendly tool and I hope you will find it more and more useful as you continue working with it.

Regarding your questions:

1) At the left hans side in the Editor there is mentioned menu and "Settings"-"Options" tab. The first option is "Populate target with source" and when this is turned off ("NO") you will not be able to insert a term on target side. You can only view the translation of such term at source side. But when you turn this option on ("YES") you will see this term also at target side. Then you can click on it and choose the translation of this term from pop-up menu.

2) As I wrote earlier when you enter phrase that you want to search for, "Find & replace" will take you to the first segment which contains this phrase for example at 1,000-1,100 page. Then when you will press "Find" button you will be taken to next segment with searched phrase. But when this phrase will be at next page for example 1,100-1,200 XTM will take you there so it will go beyond the 1,000-1,100 range. Also when you want to replace all word/phrase in one go in whole document you can press first "Find" button and then "Replace all". Unfortunately there is no such option to specify a range, like 1,000 to 2,500 but maybe we will add it in the future. If you experience any problems with this function you can advise us on [email protected] with your "Username", "Project name" and we will investigate the issue.

Kind regards,
XTM Support Team
Collapse

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the useful information Jun 28, 2012

Dear XTM support team,

Thank you so much for your detailed instructions and answers. They are very helpful for an old dog to pick up new tricks!
I am expecting to receive a second XTM project to work on soon, so it will be a good time to test out these functionalities I learned from you. I will let you know should there be any issues.

By the way, it might be a good idea to add that specify a range for find and replace function, since sometimes multiple users wor
... See more
Dear XTM support team,

Thank you so much for your detailed instructions and answers. They are very helpful for an old dog to pick up new tricks!
I am expecting to receive a second XTM project to work on soon, so it will be a good time to test out these functionalities I learned from you. I will let you know should there be any issues.

By the way, it might be a good idea to add that specify a range for find and replace function, since sometimes multiple users work on the same project and you wouldn't want to mess with other people's work:)

Chun-yi
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

a few beginner's questions

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »