Forums dealing with British university terms?
Thread poster: Tanja 1
Tanja 1
Tanja 1
Germany
Local time: 08:37
German to English
+ ...
Sep 29, 2014

Good morning everyone,

I would like to start an information exchange among translators, translating in the field of universities. Yes, I know it is a wide area – but I’m curious about other experiences within this field like, for example, where to find information about specific terms used in university context or about translation questions, dealing with terms from German into British English or the other way round.

The other topics I’ve seen here are more or les
... See more
Good morning everyone,

I would like to start an information exchange among translators, translating in the field of universities. Yes, I know it is a wide area – but I’m curious about other experiences within this field like, for example, where to find information about specific terms used in university context or about translation questions, dealing with terms from German into British English or the other way round.

The other topics I’ve seen here are more or less about “general topics” not connected to the university area themselves.
At the moment I just miss the opportunity to ask e.g. for particular terms connected to university or finding useful glossary to look up vocabulary (and here I’m not thinking of general terms).

I wonder if it would be possible to start questions somehow similar to those I asked here in this forum?
I have the feeling that, when I ask my questions in this forum they seem to come into other areas (like technical matters but not linked to the university). But I would like them to be at one place, sort of. I hope it will be possible to create a network with this topic.

Do you know where it would be possible to start such an exchange of ideas? Which would be the right forum to do this? Up to now I haven’t found any forum dealing with the topics of university.

Any ideas? Or are there forums here at proz.com where I can enlarge my university vocabulary / British English background?

Thank you very much for your help!

Tanja
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 08:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
For specific queries Sep 29, 2014

Have you tried kudoz? I find it very useful for specific queries about, for example, names of departments, courses, qualifications and titles, etc. These are all things which can vary a lot between institutions and geographically.
However, I don't know how useful a "discussion forum" about it would be for my own purposes.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:37
German to English
DAAD publication Sep 29, 2014

I have a multilingual volume "Wörterbuch Englisch, Französisch, Spanisch / Begriffe aus Wissenschaft und Hochschule" put out by the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service); ISBN 3-7639-0418-2.

This covers general academic terminology, areas of study, etc. in 4 languages.

This recommendation is for informational purposes only, as this volume falls into the "better than nothing" category, but it has occasionally proved useful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Forums dealing with British university terms?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »