Daniel McCartney
Daniel McCartney  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:12
French to English
+ ...
Apr 11, 2014

Hi all,

I'm completing a test translation for an agency. One of the sentences appears to have a typo that makes its meaning ambiguous. I'm not sure whether it would be appropriate to ask my contact at the agency to clarify whether this is an error, and if so, whether it is included intentionally.

Does anyone else have experience with this sort of situation? Thanks much in advance.

Zhihua Liu
Zhihua Liu
China
Local time: 20:12
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sure, why not? Apr 12, 2014

I've encountered such cases a few times, and I think to communicate promptly is always the right solution.
If the agency is responsible and cares for its end client, your confirmation would be welcomed, also encouraged.
Just think: what the end client wants is not an ambiguous but a clear description, as it is this that adds to the value of product.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:12
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Absolutely! Apr 12, 2014

Yes, of course ask your customer, but make sure you offer the customer an explanation of the problem and the possible interpretations and let your customer pick one.

Just as a general note: It would be different if you wanted to ask about very many decisions (Should I translate the name of this association? Should I translate the positions of the people in the company? Should I translate the name of this or that act?, etc. etc.). Customers need translators who can make decisions and
... See more
Yes, of course ask your customer, but make sure you offer the customer an explanation of the problem and the possible interpretations and let your customer pick one.

Just as a general note: It would be different if you wanted to ask about very many decisions (Should I translate the name of this association? Should I translate the positions of the people in the company? Should I translate the name of this or that act?, etc. etc.). Customers need translators who can make decisions and solve problems proactively and dislike translators who ask too much.
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Agree with Tomás Apr 12, 2014

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Just as a general note: It would be different if you wanted to ask about very many decisions (Should I translate the name of this association? Should I translate the positions of the people in the company? Should I translate the name of this or that act?, etc. etc.). Customers need translators who can make decisions and solve problems proactively and dislike translators who ask too much.

Exactly!
You're being tested to see how you would manage if you were sent a translation in normal working conditions. So if normally you would ask the PM for clarification, that's what you need to do now.

It may be, because of the test context, that no clarification will be forthcoming, so you do need to show that you'd be able to come up with something at least, even if it involves a translator's note.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
No Apr 12, 2014

I wouldn't contact the agency. Just add a comment in the test to explain what you've mentioned here. You could also say that under normal work conditions you would ask the agency for clarification before delivery.

I've marked quite a few translation tests for agencies and translators who add one or two carefully worded comments show that they are aware of potential issues. As Tomás says, a flood of comments probably shows just the opposite.

Daniel McCartney
Daniel McCartney  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:12
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 12, 2014

Thanks for the input. Given that this is a test and the agency wants to move forward quickly, I'm sticking to the comment within the translation. If this were an actual translation, I wouldn't have any qualms about contacting the agency.

As a follow-up question, Emma, what would constitute too many notes to the graders? There are a few similar areas within the source, some more salient than others. I'm marking this one, but would one or two more in a test of about 200 words be unre
... See more
Thanks for the input. Given that this is a test and the agency wants to move forward quickly, I'm sticking to the comment within the translation. If this were an actual translation, I wouldn't have any qualms about contacting the agency.

As a follow-up question, Emma, what would constitute too many notes to the graders? There are a few similar areas within the source, some more salient than others. I'm marking this one, but would one or two more in a test of about 200 words be unreasonable, in your experience?
Collapse

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:12
English to Russian
+ ...
oops Apr 13, 2014

Daniel McCartney wrote:

I'm not sure whether it would be appropriate to ask my contact at the agency to clarify whether this is an error, and if so, whether it is included intentionally.

Does anyone else have experience with this sort of situation? Thanks much in advance.

If this is a TEST, this is a test....
They want to see what would you do if the same problem is met in a prospective actual project....

I would consider this as an intentional situation to test you and your behaviour

Sebastian Witte
Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
I'm almost sure they do not want you to contact them about it or make a translator's note ... Apr 13, 2014

... but just come up with something in the target text that s h o u l d (as per human discretion, that is) probably make sense in the context. They're testing your context-guessing and fuzzy logic skills, your ability to improvise and your general survival skills.

Unless it's an extremely disorganized agency, this is guaranteed to be intentional to see whether you're still a problem-solver once the road gets bumpy and are able to think out of the box without involving the end custom
... See more
... but just come up with something in the target text that s h o u l d (as per human discretion, that is) probably make sense in the context. They're testing your context-guessing and fuzzy logic skills, your ability to improvise and your general survival skills.

Unless it's an extremely disorganized agency, this is guaranteed to be intentional to see whether you're still a problem-solver once the road gets bumpy and are able to think out of the box without involving the end customer.

I'm totally with Sergei on the matter.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Contacting agency with test-related question

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »