Am I being too sensitive to this vendor manager?
Thread poster: auragun
auragun
auragun  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 12:28
Member (2013)
English to Thai
+ ...
Mar 6, 2014

A vendor manager of a company sent me, as a coordinator of an agency in a different country in a different time zone, several job-request emails from yesterday 11 pm to today morning my time. I replied him in the afternoon. He wrote, 'In next time, I hope you reply me within 1 hour.' and 'I think you are in your company, so you can check email always. Please, let me know why your reply was so late.' I find these offensive. I do not think my agency/I is/am what he is looking for. I am thinking ab... See more
A vendor manager of a company sent me, as a coordinator of an agency in a different country in a different time zone, several job-request emails from yesterday 11 pm to today morning my time. I replied him in the afternoon. He wrote, 'In next time, I hope you reply me within 1 hour.' and 'I think you are in your company, so you can check email always. Please, let me know why your reply was so late.' I find these offensive. I do not think my agency/I is/am what he is looking for. I am thinking about letting him know that. Am I being too sensitive?Collapse

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 07:28
English to Polish
+ ...
Terminate Mar 6, 2014

Terminate your relationship, he's rude. And tell him why.

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:28
English to Russian
+ ...
maybe he or she simply does not know where Thailand is Mar 6, 2014

and what the time difference between his"her country and Thailand is?
It happens ... with today level of education...

I would try to 'educate' the person first
If the result is negative ....

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
He does have a point... Mar 6, 2014

auragun wrote:
I replied him in the afternoon.

I think that there is an expectation in our industry that if you send an e-mail to a translator, then the e-mail will be attended to on the same day (or if it was sent after hours, then within the first hour of business the next day).

On the other hand, you are free to reply when you want to (or if you want to), since the client's e-mail is really just a request for information.

Giovanna Alessandra Meloni
Giovanna Alessandra Meloni  Identity Verified
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I don't know if Mar 6, 2014

he's rude or he dosn't know the different time zones.

I think it is not the right way to start a relationship, so reply and explain you can't answer in 1 hour, above all if the request are sent when in your country is night.

Andrei Yefimov
Andrei Yefimov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 08:28
English to Russian
+ ...
different time zones Mar 6, 2014

If I tried to reach someone who was on the other end of the world, it'd be pretty silly of me to expect a prompt reply, unless I contacted this person during their normal business hours.

So, were I in your shoes, I would firmly ask them not to overstep the mark if they don't want to ruin our relationships.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Seconded Mar 6, 2014

Sergei Tumanov wrote:
I would try to 'educate' the person first
If the result is negative ....

Yep.

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
He is in no place to tell you Mar 6, 2014

when to check your emails. And as a professional he ought to be aware of the different time zones.

Giovanna Alessandra Meloni
Giovanna Alessandra Meloni  Identity Verified
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Agree Mar 6, 2014

Gudrun Wolfrath wrote:

And as a professional he ought to be aware of the different time zones.

Of course.

If I send a message to someone in a different time zone, and I know it is late at nigh there, I can't expect a fast reply.
Moreover, if I am a professional, I check my emails often, but if I have lot of work to do and deadlines to respect, it happens I don't reply in 1 hour.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:28
German to English
I don't sit in front of my computer all day ... Mar 6, 2014

... when I'm not actively working. Unless there's a specific reason to do so, such as having promised availability, I don't notify clients regarding when I visit the dentist, take a midday shower or go for a walk to get fresh air.

Fortunately I've reached the point in my career where I don't have to deal with rude people very often.

Occasionally project managers lose track of time zone differences. On a few occasions I have received messages at 3:00 am (my time), with
... See more
... when I'm not actively working. Unless there's a specific reason to do so, such as having promised availability, I don't notify clients regarding when I visit the dentist, take a midday shower or go for a walk to get fresh air.

Fortunately I've reached the point in my career where I don't have to deal with rude people very often.

Occasionally project managers lose track of time zone differences. On a few occasions I have received messages at 3:00 am (my time), with follow-ups at 4:00 and 5:00 asking why I haven't responded to their urgent inquiry.

That said, if I'm at my desk when an email comes in, I try to reply promptly.
Collapse

auragun
auragun  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 12:28
Member (2013)
English to Thai
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So nice to have this kind of support Mar 8, 2014

Thank you all very much!

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
priority Mar 8, 2014

I would simply say that I deal with my clients in order of priority. It's up to him to decide whether he likes the degree of priority he gets from me.

Priority is determined by the rate I command, how promptly they pay, how interesting their work is and how pleasant they are with me, and not necessarily in that order.

If I got a mail like that, replying would definitely be the least of my priorities unless they were absolultely top-notch on all the other criteria and
... See more
I would simply say that I deal with my clients in order of priority. It's up to him to decide whether he likes the degree of priority he gets from me.

Priority is determined by the rate I command, how promptly they pay, how interesting their work is and how pleasant they are with me, and not necessarily in that order.

If I got a mail like that, replying would definitely be the least of my priorities unless they were absolultely top-notch on all the other criteria and had a prestigious name I could boast about on my CV too.
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:28
Member (2004)
English to Italian
with that attitude... Mar 8, 2014

just tell him where he can stick his jobs...

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
If you decide to drop him as a customer Mar 8, 2014

Tell him from us that he's an idiot, and send him a link to this thread.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Am I being too sensitive to this vendor manager?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »