Tech2000
Tech2000
South Korea
Local time: 18:43
Korean to English
+ ...
Sep 9, 2013

Hi Everyone,

I am working as a translator in S. Korea. One of my translation agencies in Spain asks me to provide them with my passport number. They said that they wanted to update my information on their database.

Do I have to give it to them?
I am worried that my ID may be used for illegal place by them.

Please give me your idea.

Many thanks.

Best regards,
Tech2000

Marta Aguilar
Marta Aguilar  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:43
German to Spanish
+ ...
Do not worry Sep 9, 2013

Dear Tech2000, good afternoon,

my name is Marta and I am a Spanish born translator. I think that you should not worry about any agency using your ID for illegal purposes or anything like that.

The reason they ask you for your ID number might be for TAX purposes. That is: in Spain we usually need to declare the purchasing and selling invoices with countries located outside Europe.

Furthermore, we usually write our ID (or VAT number) in our signature, it is
... See more
Dear Tech2000, good afternoon,

my name is Marta and I am a Spanish born translator. I think that you should not worry about any agency using your ID for illegal purposes or anything like that.

The reason they ask you for your ID number might be for TAX purposes. That is: in Spain we usually need to declare the purchasing and selling invoices with countries located outside Europe.

Furthermore, we usually write our ID (or VAT number) in our signature, it is assigned to our name, so that anyone can see who we are.

I hope this answer makes you feel more relaxed.

I wish you the best of sucess,
Marta
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Normal for Spain ;) Sep 9, 2013

In Spain, you have to supply your ID number /residence card number / passport number in all sorts of situations, and certainly every time you sign your name.

It's quite normal for an agency to ask for it. They need it for tax purposes.

Edited to add: Snap, Marta!

[Edited at 2013-09-09 12:36 GMT]

Tech2000
Tech2000
South Korea
Korean to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 9, 2013

Martha and Emma,

Thank you for your advice.

Best regards,
Tech2000

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Do they really need it? Sep 10, 2013

My dear colleagues forget that you are South Korean. Spanish tax authorities do not need your ID number if you are not a citizen of the European Union. You will not charge them with VAT or anything similar, so they do not need to cross-check any of your invoices with any other EU country.

The agency is only asking due to their own burocracy, and the person asking for this information does not even know whether they really need it or not, and you should not give them the information,
... See more
My dear colleagues forget that you are South Korean. Spanish tax authorities do not need your ID number if you are not a citizen of the European Union. You will not charge them with VAT or anything similar, so they do not need to cross-check any of your invoices with any other EU country.

The agency is only asking due to their own burocracy, and the person asking for this information does not even know whether they really need it or not, and you should not give them the information, and never a scan of your passport!!

If they insist that they need it, ask them on what legal grounds do they need your passport if you are not a citizen of he EU, and if they prove that they do need the information, give them your passport ID number, but never a scan of your passport. They certainly do not need that for any kind of purpose.
Collapse

Tech2000
Tech2000
South Korea
Korean to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 10, 2013

Dear Tomas,

Thank you. I will handle it with your advice

Have a great day.

Best regards,
Tech2000

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A translation agency asks me to provide my passport number

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »