Iryna Schlotthauer
Iryna Schlotthauer  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:40
German to Russian
+ ...
Mar 29, 2013

Dear Collegues,

I have to do some proofreading. The client has sent me the texts and translations as separate doc-files.

How can I transfer the doc-files (text plus translation) into SDL Trados Studio 2011 to do the proofreading with this program?

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:40
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Do it in Word Mar 30, 2013

The client has probably sent you the export for external review files. You must use Word 2007 or newer and not change the file name at all. Then the client can update the translation swiftly. If a second proofreader or the original translator will review your changes they can accept or reject them.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:40
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Long process Mar 30, 2013

Iryna Schlotthauer wrote:

The client has sent me the texts and translations as separate doc-files.

As you have separate files for source and target languages (and not the bilingual external review file that Heinrich mentions), the only way you could process them in Studio would be to align them first.

That would mean adding several extra steps to your work process. Align two docs, export a TMX, create new Studio TM, import TMX, pretranslate source doc with the Studio TM, review and save target document.

It seems to me that Studio is not the way to go for this job.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading with Word and SDL Studio 2011

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »