Thread poster: Jason Cronin
Jason Cronin
Jason Cronin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:40
Spanish to English
Nov 28, 2012

Hey folks!

I´m about to graduate with a degree in translation and editing, and I´d like some input about translation project management. I heard a lot about it at the ATA conference in San Diego and in my classes, but I´d like some input from people in the field.

First, what have been your experiences as project managers? Is this a job at all for people who consider themselves "people" people? I happen to like interaction with people, and from what I can tell this c
... See more
Hey folks!

I´m about to graduate with a degree in translation and editing, and I´d like some input about translation project management. I heard a lot about it at the ATA conference in San Diego and in my classes, but I´d like some input from people in the field.

First, what have been your experiences as project managers? Is this a job at all for people who consider themselves "people" people? I happen to like interaction with people, and from what I can tell this career has a lot to do with sitting in front of a computer. Do you get to move around, perhaps travel a bit to meet clients and negotiate deals, etc.?

How much technology do you have to master? Sometimes Trados and other programs get annoying it seems, at least in my experience. Is this a job for computer nerds or what?

In the real world, does this career pay a sustainable, stable salary?

Any other tips or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 18:40
English to Thai
+ ...
Practical experience and skill Nov 28, 2012

I believe practical experience and skill are commanding for project management. Translation is both technical and artistic and new staffs in charge of this mission need learning curve to accomplish.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 13:40
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Definitely for people people Nov 28, 2012

One of my all-time favourite PMs put it this way - she loved her job, which was negotiating with end clients and setting up the projects, and finally delivering the translation to satisfied clients...

...while the likes of me took on the 'boring' translation work she couldn't be bothered with!

At first I was flabbergasted - I loved her because she did all the boring work I couldn't be bothered with, and let me translate in peace! Then it began to make sen
... See more
One of my all-time favourite PMs put it this way - she loved her job, which was negotiating with end clients and setting up the projects, and finally delivering the translation to satisfied clients...

...while the likes of me took on the 'boring' translation work she couldn't be bothered with!

At first I was flabbergasted - I loved her because she did all the boring work I couldn't be bothered with, and let me translate in peace! Then it began to make sense.

It takes all sorts to run a successful business, and a happy, efficient and outgoing person like that is a godsend to both clients and translators.

She knew enough about translating to explain problems and get hold of answers. She could find out just what a client needed, and what the text was going to be used for, so she chose the right translator for the job... And she was great at negotiating deadlines and educating clients about what really goes on in the translation process.

Being a PM is not necessarily a job for wannabe translators who can't earn a living by translating. It may be a step along the way. It may be more relevant than some of the jobs I have been through before starting to translate, but it is a very different job, and you need to be clear about that from the start.

That said, there are some lovely people out there working as PMs and some of us translators would be lost without them!

Being a PM pays a fixed monthly salary, unlike freelancing... and in a successful agency some PMs live happily on it for years. It depends entirely on the agency, and they range from brilliant to abysmal... I have no idea about commission etc. either.

How much you have to cope with Trados and the like probably varies a lot from agency to agency too. Although I did work in house in the same firm as the person mentioned above, a lot has happened since I went freelance, and I have no direct experience of the job.

Trados improves a great deal with practice, and if you have colleagues at hand, perhaps you can get help. Some agencies have DTP folk and others who do a lot of the IT work, but there will be other administrative systems PMs have to master.

Just one translator's view - and good luck.

[Edited at 2012-11-28 11:44 GMT]
Collapse

Steven Hanley (X)
Steven Hanley (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
ATA Nov 28, 2012

Never mind about the ATA - it's full of hacks. They still don't have any translators working there, all bureaucrats, they invent continuing education requirements that give you credit for writing an article that THEY publish but don't give you credit for getting useful ancillary post-graduate degrees.

Join if you must, but don't waste your time on "certification." It means nothing in the market, and to maintain your "certification" you have to keep on taking courses that practic
... See more
Never mind about the ATA - it's full of hacks. They still don't have any translators working there, all bureaucrats, they invent continuing education requirements that give you credit for writing an article that THEY publish but don't give you credit for getting useful ancillary post-graduate degrees.

Join if you must, but don't waste your time on "certification." It means nothing in the market, and to maintain your "certification" you have to keep on taking courses that practically only they offer, which are by and by worthless.

Check monster.com for job openings.
Collapse

Jason Cronin
Jason Cronin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:40
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Nov 28, 2012

Thanks Christine! Sounds encouraging. I love languages, English Spanish and French especially, and it would be cool to somehow be involved in this. Hopefully I'd get to travel and meet people a little.

Danielle Stephenson
Danielle Stephenson
French to English
+ ...
Not all about technology Jan 21, 2013

I've had experience as a project manager, and just wanted to say experience with various softwares isn't always necessary. I purposefully chose to do a course on translation software for my degree in the hope of getting into project management, only to find my first job didn't use any form of software at all! In their defense they were a very small company, but I slightly felt like I had wasted some time at uni!
Anyway - I loved the project management side - liaising between translators an
... See more
I've had experience as a project manager, and just wanted to say experience with various softwares isn't always necessary. I purposefully chose to do a course on translation software for my degree in the hope of getting into project management, only to find my first job didn't use any form of software at all! In their defense they were a very small company, but I slightly felt like I had wasted some time at uni!
Anyway - I loved the project management side - liaising between translators and clients. I loved working with various translators and proofreaders and producing a completed, perfect transation through their help. You should be a people person' in a way, but you should also be quite passionate about the translation itself and producing a finished product you can be proud to hand to your client
Sadly I missed translation too much, I was torn between seeing the process from beginning to end and using my own unique translation skills...
Collapse

Maria Janum
Maria Janum
Local time: 12:40
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes worthwhile job but be wary about working for the larger agencies Feb 28, 2013

Yes ...you can have a good career in Translation Project Management but my advice is to try and find smaller agencies. why?

-Because you get to learn about not just managing projects but also managing a business - useful if you plan to start your own business at some stage
- There tends to be less pressure on you. My experience of larger agencies is that they are very numbers driven which means that you are pressured into getting projects completed and out of the door as qui
... See more
Yes ...you can have a good career in Translation Project Management but my advice is to try and find smaller agencies. why?

-Because you get to learn about not just managing projects but also managing a business - useful if you plan to start your own business at some stage
- There tends to be less pressure on you. My experience of larger agencies is that they are very numbers driven which means that you are pressured into getting projects completed and out of the door as quickly as possible

Just my 2 cents
good luck!

Maria
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Curious about translation project management

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »