Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:45
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
All this information is not really off topic. May 31, 2012

I just want to encourage everyone to poke around a little bit before engaging in any correspondence with any suspicious "outsourcer" because you can gather a lot of information beforehand. Especially if you live in the US (scary, indeed...). Too many colleagues don't even know how to check an IP number.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Even printed phone books have a "reversed search" section May 31, 2012

B D Finch wrote:
sensibly not leaving their name and address where anybody could access it by looking at the note on your windscreen.

Cell phone numbers aren't protected, either.

Fiona Gonçalves
Fiona Gonçalves  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:45
Portuguese to English
+ ...
how do you? May 31, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Too many colleagues don't even know how to check an IP number.

I have to say I'm one of them. So how do you check an IP number?

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:45
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Risk management and IP addresses May 31, 2012

Fiona Gonçalves wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:

The ProZ.com wiki has several valuable articles on risk management, including an article entitled Risk management: Email that should help you on this matter.

When contacted by an unknown outsourcer the first thing you should do is a quick go/no-go decision between dust bin and serious evaluation. It is useful to learn about typical scams and the style they use. A valuable resource is the translators scam alert center and the related scam alert reports.

If you don't drop the contact immediately, you should first ask for enough contact information, and then verify this information until you are confident that you are dealing with a properly identified person. Before you get to this point you should not start working. Even the payment of a part or all the work at the beginning of the project can be an illusory safety if you fail to identify the outsourcer.

Regards,
Enrique Cavalitto

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:45
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
That's what insurance is for May 31, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:
Even as a private person. Example: Last Sunday some jerk made a dent into my car on the parking lot of a grocery store and left a note with only a phone number and the word "Sorry!!".

In civilised countries, people leave the phone number but, in case the piece of paper flies with the wind, they also write down the damaged car's plate number and report the matter to your insurance company so that they can take care of all that. No need to do the policeman researching the driver's favourite brand of pants and the number of root canals he had done.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
If it is a hit and run May 31, 2012

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

In civilised countries, people leave the phone number but, in case the piece of paper flies with the wind, they also write down the damaged car's plate number and report the matter to your insurance company so that they can take care of all that. No need to do the policeman researching the driver's favourite brand of pants and the number of root canals he had done.

... your insurance company will definitely pay for the repair. Then they will raise their rates which is, of course, very wonderful.

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
False phone number? May 31, 2012

If they left a false phone number

Sorry, this is right off topic, but I'm trying to think of a situation in which I would dent someone else's car and then go to the trouble to write a sorry note with a false phone number.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
IP number May 31, 2012

Fiona Gonçalves wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:

The Wikipedia-links that Enrique listed are great! Then you just google this number, preferably in quotation marks, and you will find an abundance of websites that offer this tracking service. Some websites even provide detailed maps.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes but how? May 31, 2012

Derrio wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
Nicole Schnell wrote:
Ask for their credit card number instead - the ultimate ID, perfectly verifiable.

Really? How does one verify a credit card number?

This can be done. There are plenty of on-line tools to do this - typically used by fraudsters to check the counterfeit cards they have made - although these won't help that much as all they need to do is provide any valid card number!

Checking whether a number is valid is not the same as checking whether a given card belongs to a specific person. What good is getting a credit card number if you can't verify that it truly belongs to the person saying that it is his?

I googled for this but could not find any service that offers an easy way to check whether credit card X really belongs to person Y.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
This is not a free service May 31, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:
Checking whether a number is valid is not the same as checking whether a given card belongs to a specific person. What good is getting a credit card number if you can't verify that it truly belongs to the person saying that it is his?

I googled for this but could not find any service that offers an easy way to check whether credit card X really belongs to person Y.

I have access to such a service because my little office is processing credit cards. We have a merchant account at a card processing company and we can verify if card number, name, expiration date and the little security number are a match.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:45
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
@Olly re. false phone numbers May 31, 2012

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

If they left a false phone number

Sorry, this is right off topic, but I'm trying to think of a situation in which I would dent someone else's car and then go to the trouble to write a sorry note with a false phone number.

Of course it's hard for you to conceive of such a situation, as you live in a highly civilized country.

For us out here in the lawless wilds of the US, I could see someone trying it if people are around you who know you hit the other car, and you're afraid that, if you appear to be doing nothing and/or are planning to just drive off, they will intervene with some kind of vigilante action by trying to detain you/calling the police/taking down your licence plate no. etc. If you appear to leaving your contact info, they might leave you alone, even you're writing down false info, or just making something up.

Rania Efthemes (X)
Rania Efthemes (X)
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks for all the tips Jun 1, 2012

Thank you all again. Totally appreciate your help.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suspicious activity or not?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »