Indian agency prepared to pay 'European'rate
Thread poster: Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:33
Dutch to English
Jan 14, 2012

I hope they don't read this, but an agency from India recently approached me to expand their database in my language pair (NL-EN). I started by quoting my rate of €0.11/word, and that's where it usually stops. But they actually agreed to it! At first I thought it was a scam, because they want me to do a small (less than 300 words) test translation, but when I wrote that I would be willing to do this test, but that it might take a few weeks because I'm rather busy (true), they replied that this... See more
I hope they don't read this, but an agency from India recently approached me to expand their database in my language pair (NL-EN). I started by quoting my rate of €0.11/word, and that's where it usually stops. But they actually agreed to it! At first I thought it was a scam, because they want me to do a small (less than 300 words) test translation, but when I wrote that I would be willing to do this test, but that it might take a few weeks because I'm rather busy (true), they replied that this was no problem and were looking forward to hearing from me! I checked the blueboard and there's nothing wrong with their track-record, though admittedly a limited number of postings on it. Of course I don't want to appear disparaging about Indian agencies, but I really didn't expect to find one offering European (or in any case Dutch) level rates. Conversely, I've been turned down by more than one Dutch agency in the past because my rates were too high for them. So I'm wondering what gives?

[Edited at 2012-01-14 17:06 GMT]
Collapse

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not the end of it Jan 14, 2012

If and when they have a job for you, be prepared to re-negotiate this price.

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Repost Jan 14, 2012

For some reason, only a bit of this post is displayed on my computer. See if its all there now... no, its not... weird... Moderator?

[Edited at 2012-01-14 17:06 GMT]

Thanks Emma!

[Edited at 2012-01-14 17:18 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
do a small ( Jan 14, 2012

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

For some reason, only a bit of this post is displayed on my computer. See if its all there now... no, its not... weird... Moderator?

The symbol "less than" marks the beginning of BBcode. That's why the rest of your message doesn't appear.
Write it out in full and the problem will be solved

Sigrid Andersen
Sigrid Andersen  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Danish to German
+ ...
I had seveal agencies approaching me... Jan 14, 2012

I had several agencies from rather unusual countries for this language pair (danish-german) approaching me lately, and they all pay well. Seems there might be a new trend.

Anne Pinaglia
Anne Pinaglia
Netherlands
Italian to English
+ ...
No doubts here Jan 14, 2012

Edward Potter wrote:

If and when they have a job for you, be prepared to re-negotiate this price.

Totally agree. I find that there are generally no issues with my rates until there is a pending job and all of the sudden the budget issue comes up.

Maybe this situation will be different - I hope so for you!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
"Yes, of course!" Jan 14, 2012

Unfortunately Indian companies are quick to accept other people's conditions until they have their problem solved, and then they forget everything.

They probably want to succeed in some translation test they have for some project and say that they will pay your usual rate... and when the actual work comes they will either not send you the job or they will offer half your rate, take it or leave it. But at that moment they will have solved their problem, i.e. getting the job with a hi
... See more
Unfortunately Indian companies are quick to accept other people's conditions until they have their problem solved, and then they forget everything.

They probably want to succeed in some translation test they have for some project and say that they will pay your usual rate... and when the actual work comes they will either not send you the job or they will offer half your rate, take it or leave it. But at that moment they will have solved their problem, i.e. getting the job with a high-quality test.

They will certainly be very grateful to you, but this will not mean they will end up paying your rate! As the colleague say, be ready for surprises!
Collapse

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Who knows? Jan 15, 2012

Although generally the Indian translation market is dominated by extremely low prices, I had a couple of assignments at normal European/American rates, and the clients followed the standard business protocol and paid on time as agreed. One of these jobs was very interesting, too. So keep your eyes open.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:33
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Maybe... Jan 15, 2012

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

They probably want to succeed in some translation test they have for some project and say that they will pay your usual rate... and when the actual work comes they will either not send you the job or they will offer half your rate, take it or leave it. But at that moment they will have solved their problem, i.e. getting the job with a high-quality test.

They will certainly be very grateful to you, but this will not mean they will end up paying your rate! As the colleague say, be ready for surprises!

you should rephrase your sentence and say "some Indian companies"? I never worked for any Indian company, but it seems a rather sweeping and offensive statement to make. Surely, not ALL Indian companies behave like this?

matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Start small Jan 16, 2012

I have only worked with one Indian agency, and to date I have had no more problems than with agencies from any other country.
My advice would be the same as for any other new business arrangement; start with small projects, build confidence, evaluate their working practices and then decide if you wish to continue.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Indian agency prepared to pay 'European'rate

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »