Exporting InDesign format texts to SDL Trados 2011 for translation and vice versa
Thread poster: steph_cuevas
steph_cuevas
steph_cuevas  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:52
Member (2010)
English to Tagalog
+ ...
Nov 2, 2011

Hi all!

I would like to ask some help from you. I have an upcoming project and the English source file is in InDesign format and I wonder how can I export/extract the texts from it to be translatable in SDL Trados 2011?

I will appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Stephanie

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:52
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Export InDesign to IDML Nov 2, 2011

provided you have InDEsign CS4 or later (the better option) or use INX format for earlier versions.

steph_cuevas
steph_cuevas  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:52
Member (2010)
English to Tagalog
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Converting back from IDML translated file to InDesign format Nov 2, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

provided you have InDEsign CS4 or later (the better option) or use INX format for earlier versions.

Hi Jerzy. Thank you for your response. I was able to create an IDML file and was able open it in Trados.

Once I have translated the file, would I be able to convert it back to InDesign format (final output)?

I would appreciate your help.

Thank you.

[Edited at 2011-11-02 23:56 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Yes Nov 4, 2011

Hi Stephanie,
the target file will be again IDML which can be imported back into InDesign. If the length of the target text differs from that of the source text, some DTP work may be necessary (expanding text boxes etc.), but that's not your task as a translator.

Michel Di Moro
Michel Di Moro  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2011)
German to French
+ ...
Error message by exporting into target file Jul 12, 2013

Hi,

Since I haven't found a response and help in French, I post here my problem:

I imported an Indesign File into Trados 2011. The translation is finished and saved without problem BUT when I want to save the target file in the same format , I get a error message: Operation not valid because of the actual state of the object.

L'opération n'est pas valide en raison de l'état actuel de l'objet.

System.InvalidOperationException, mscorlib, Ver
... See more
Hi,

Since I haven't found a response and help in French, I post here my problem:

I imported an Indesign File into Trados 2011. The translation is finished and saved without problem BUT when I want to save the target file in the same format , I get a error message: Operation not valid because of the actual state of the object.

L'opération n'est pas valide en raison de l'état actuel de l'objet.

System.InvalidOperationException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Filters.Idml
b__0()
à Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.Log.Resources(Object message, Action action)
à Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.Services.Job._worker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
à System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
à System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)]]>

I cannot fix this issue and I have to deliver my project on next monday. Who can help quickly please?

Regards

MD

[Modifié le 2013-07-12 17:22 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exporting InDesign format texts to SDL Trados 2011 for translation and vice versa

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »