Coincidence?/Opinion from fellow translators
Thread poster: traduttorian (X)
traduttorian (X)
traduttorian (X)
May 18, 2011

I was contacted by an agency today with whom I had previously worked as a proofreader on a similar project, and for the same organization (NGO) that is requesting the proofreading now. The work will start next week and it is a report about transparency in the oil industry -- the report analyses the financial statements of an oil company.

Later today I was contacted by another agency who requested my proofreading services for the company in question, i.e, the company having its fina
... See more
I was contacted by an agency today with whom I had previously worked as a proofreader on a similar project, and for the same organization (NGO) that is requesting the proofreading now. The work will start next week and it is a report about transparency in the oil industry -- the report analyses the financial statements of an oil company.

Later today I was contacted by another agency who requested my proofreading services for the company in question, i.e, the company having its financial statement analysed by the NGO. The work involved the proofreading of a contract between the company and other companies. The contract deals with some financial information (it mentions money and offshore bank accounts), some of the information which is also mentioned in the report by the NGO.

I did not have to read the contract thoroughly as I was only supposed to make sure the updates to the contract were implemented in the target language.

Has it ever happened to you? Do you think there are any ethical issues here at all?
Collapse

Pompeo Lattanzi
Pompeo Lattanzi
Italy
Local time: 10:22
English to Italian
+ ...
I don't think so! May 18, 2011

I don't see any ethical questions here. You only proofread (the translation is done by somebody else) so you are really judging only how correct is the translation, NOT the content.
In any case it is TWO different documents (albeit related), for TWO different customers.
Provided you do not tranfer any information from one party to the other you are quite in the clear, and there are no issues of any nature. IMHO

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:22
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just do it! May 18, 2011

I don't see a problem here at all. Do one task, do the other task, and do them independently. No issue at all.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Coincidence?/Opinion from fellow translators

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »