Thread poster: Karen Rosenberg
Karen Rosenberg
Karen Rosenberg
Spain
Local time: 16:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 31, 2009

Does anyone know of the existence of an insurance to cover professional responsibility in Spain? The lawyers have it included in their membership of the "Colegio", to cover any possible errors they might make. I asked an insurance broker to find me something similar, but no reply.
Any information would be appreciated...many thanks

Miguel Martí Menzel
Miguel Martí Menzel  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
As far as I know, no Jul 31, 2009

To my knowledge there is no such thing in Spain. Many customers (translation agencies) in Germany have asked us for this over the years, and we had to tell them every time that unfortunately there was no such kind of insurance in Spain.

Miguel

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 02:51
Chinese to English
Try the Archives Jul 31, 2009

Hello Monterosa. You can find several previous posts if you do a 'Forum Search' (at left) on 'Insurance in Spain'. Hope this helps. Lesley

TradRus
TradRus
Spain
Member (2007)
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
Seguro de responsabilidad civil profesional Jul 31, 2009

It does exist and it's called "seguro de responsabilidad civil profesional".
As far as I know, several insurance companies offer this kind of insurance, you might try contacting Mafre, for example.
Hope it helps!

Regards
Natalia

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mapfre Jul 31, 2009

Feigola wrote:

It does exist and it's called "seguro de responsabilidad civil profesional".
As far as I know, several insurance companies offer this kind of insurance, you might try contacting Mafre, for example.
Hope it helps!

Regards
Natalia

If you want to write to me privately, I can send you details, incl contact numbers and prices

Ailish

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Any cases of liability? Jul 31, 2009

Whenever this subject of liability insurance comes up, I always ask if anyone knows of any case where a translator has ever been sued for professional liability.

This is a worldwide forum, and to date I have never seen any such case reported, thus meaning that such insurance is of no use.

Does anyone know of a case?

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
big jobs Jul 31, 2009

Henry Hinds wrote:

Whenever this subject of liability insurance comes up, I always ask if anyone knows of any case where a translator has ever been sued for professional liability.

This is a worldwide forum, and to date I have never seen any such case reported, thus meaning that such insurance is of no use.

Does anyone know of a case?

To a point I agree Henry. For most of the work I do and the kind of clients I have, it's not really an issue. However, now I'm doing a big job alone ... and although teh docs are internal and not for publication, what happens if I fail to deliver on time, for example, for reasons beyond my control? So at least for this job I want to take out insurance.

Karen Rosenberg
Karen Rosenberg
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
a wise precaution Jul 31, 2009

A couple of years ago I did a job for an emergency health service, in which the the patient would be rushed to hospital by helicopter from dawn to dusk, and by ambulance from dusk to dawn, and a silly mistake had me putting the helicopter service from dusk to dawn. The client printed out 10,000 contracts on the basis of my translation, and then had to reprint them (around 1.600 euros), that he insisted I paid. Fortunately the lawyer who comissioned the job mediated successfully and I only had t... See more
A couple of years ago I did a job for an emergency health service, in which the the patient would be rushed to hospital by helicopter from dawn to dusk, and by ambulance from dusk to dawn, and a silly mistake had me putting the helicopter service from dusk to dawn. The client printed out 10,000 contracts on the basis of my translation, and then had to reprint them (around 1.600 euros), that he insisted I paid. Fortunately the lawyer who comissioned the job mediated successfully and I only had to reimburse the cost of the translation (plus a gift of Pata Negra in gratitude!). She said that if I'd had professional insurance, there would not have been a problem as this would have been covered.
Now I am being asked to translate medical reports, and the clinic asks me if I have professional insurance. No-one is infallible. I think the insurance is a wise backup especially if the patient's doctors are going to medicate on the basis of my translations.
regards to all, and thanks for the information
Collapse

Henry Hinds
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
No problem, Lia Jul 31, 2009

I cannot see how you could be liable for anything more than the price of the job if for any reason you were to fail to deliver; certainly not unless you signed one of those "horror story" contracts that hold you liable for everything under the sun. And I would not think you would do that.

And would the insurance company pay if the client stiffs you, with or without cause? Perhaps not. Otherwise it could be good insurance to have!

Even the case Monterosa mentions only in
... See more
I cannot see how you could be liable for anything more than the price of the job if for any reason you were to fail to deliver; certainly not unless you signed one of those "horror story" contracts that hold you liable for everything under the sun. And I would not think you would do that.

And would the insurance company pay if the client stiffs you, with or without cause? Perhaps not. Otherwise it could be good insurance to have!

Even the case Monterosa mentions only involves the price of the job. And Pata Negra... well, I don't know what that might be, but in Chile "el patas negras" is the "other guy" who sees someone's wife or girlfriend on the sly. No liability insurance is good for that either.
Collapse

Karen Rosenberg
Karen Rosenberg
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
you haven't lived.... Aug 1, 2009

You havent tried Pata Negra????....you don't know what you're missing!!!!!

http://jamondebellotas.com/jamon_de_bellota/jamon-pata-negra

Cured ham (prosciutto-style) from pigs that are fed only on acorns from the woods. Exquisite, expensive, but well worth spoiling yourself from time to time.

Exported to USA, so you should be able to try
... See more
You havent tried Pata Negra????....you don't know what you're missing!!!!!

http://jamondebellotas.com/jamon_de_bellota/jamon-pata-negra

Cured ham (prosciutto-style) from pigs that are fed only on acorns from the woods. Exquisite, expensive, but well worth spoiling yourself from time to time.

Exported to USA, so you should be able to try it....
Collapse

Henry Hinds
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Thanks, Monterosa Aug 1, 2009

That sounds great, I think I'll check it out!

Many of the pigs in this country have traditionally been fed garbage, and they taste like it!

Now I'll have to find out if we can get it here.

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Pata Negra Aug 1, 2009

I thought Monterosa was referring to the wine, which is quite good:

http://www.bodegasyvinos.info/vinos/1152/

I vaguely remember someone once describing some obscure case where the translator got sued. If true, it is most definitely a one-off.

Lia Fail (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's a big job! Aug 1, 2009

Henry Hinds wrote:

So I stand to lose a few months' income if anything went wrong. Even if just a claim of the fee I'm charging was made against me, it would be a bit of a disaster. Compared to the cost of a year's insurance, it seems worth it.

The job is not especially complicated, I have a decent deadline, and it's for internal use, so the risks are low in that respect. But the risk in terms of complications/lost earnings are big in terms of the size of the job.

Normally I wouldn't bother, becuase my risks are far less: small jobs, mostly consulted with clients (so minimal likelihood of error), agreed (but flexible in an emergency) deadlines.

Thanks to Monterosa for bringing this up, as her story is telling, and from now on, I will certainly make sure I'm insured when I perceive greater risk (e.g., translating a book or even book chapters).

Francisco Ramirez
Francisco Ramirez
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hello monterosa Aug 1, 2009

Hello,

Yes, you can find professional public liability. Most insurance brokers only work Personal Lines (motor, household, etc.), but I can tell you where to find this type of insurance.

Kind Regards,

Francisco Ramírez.
Insurance Consultant.

monterosa wrote:

Does anyone know of the existence of an insurance to cover professional responsibility in Spain? The lawyers have it included in their membership of the "Colegio", to cover any possible errors they might make. I asked an insurance broker to find me something similar, but no reply.
Any information would be appreciated...many thanks

Andrew Gray
Andrew Gray  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Try La Estrella Dec 9, 2009

Try "La Estrella" who insure you on the basis of your annual turnover. Not too expensive. Covers legal costs in any kind of suit brought against you for faulty work.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Monika Jakacka Márquez[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

professional responsibility insurance in Spain

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »