Should I charge an additional fee to a customer that requests a translation previously made (5 year)
Thread poster: Manuel Aburto
Manuel Aburto
Manuel Aburto  Identity Verified
Nicaragua
Local time: 06:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 21, 2022

I would like to know if I must charge an additional fee to a customer that requests a translation previously made, around 5years ago.

This is the first time it happens to me, and I would like to know how to proceed.

In advance, thank you for your comments on this topic.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:34
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Manuel Mar 21, 2022

Manuel Aburto wrote:
I would like to know if I must charge an additional fee to a customer that requests a translation previously made, around 5 years ago.

If it is no extra effort to send him the old translation, I would send him the old translation "as a favour" without charging anything.

Does the client know that this is an old translation that you had previously sent?

Thomas T. Frost
Matheus Gui
expressisverbis
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Wolfgang Schoene
ahartje
Recep Kurt

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:34
Dutch to English
+ ...
depends Mar 21, 2022

Manuel Aburto wrote:

I would like to know if I must charge an additional fee to a customer that requests a translation previously made, around 5years ago.

This is the first time it happens to me, and I would like to know how to proceed.

In advance, thank you for your comments on this topic.

Is this a translation that you did in the past for this same client? Or something you translated for a different client?

[Edited at 2022-03-21 16:21 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-03-21 16:21 GMT]

Angie Garbarino

Manuel Aburto
Nicaragua
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel and Rachel Mar 21, 2022

@Samuel Murray:
Hi Samuel,
Thank you very much for your comment on my question.

They keep records of translations previously requested, then I guess the already know that it is a document that I translated some time ago.

@Rachel:

Hello Rachel,
Absolutely, I mean, it is a document that I translated a couple of years ago (around 5yrs ago) for the very same client.

Rachel Waddington
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Your choice Mar 21, 2022

Manuel Aburto wrote:

@Samuel Murray:
Hi Samuel,
Thank you very much for your comment on my question.

They keep records of translations previously requested, then I guess the already know that it is a document that I translated some time ago.

@Rachel:

Hello Rachel,
Absolutely, I mean, it is a document that I translated a couple of years ago (around 5yrs ago) for the very same client.

You'd probably be justified in asking for an admin fee but I'd be inclined to do the same as Samuel and just send it over as a favour to keep the relationship good. Up to you really.

expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino
Thomas Pfann
Philip Lees
Marijke Singer
Christopher Schröder

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Manuel Mar 21, 2022

Are you sure it is exactly the same text? I can’t remember how any times this happened to me over the years, but it did happen (though more often than not it wasn’t the same client). For me it depends who the client is. I remember that once the text came from a very regular customer and I just told him “Are you aware that I translated this text X years ago? If you haven’t in your files I’m more than happy to send it again”. In another case with a not so regular client I charged the t... See more
Are you sure it is exactly the same text? I can’t remember how any times this happened to me over the years, but it did happen (though more often than not it wasn’t the same client). For me it depends who the client is. I remember that once the text came from a very regular customer and I just told him “Are you aware that I translated this text X years ago? If you haven’t in your files I’m more than happy to send it again”. In another case with a not so regular client I charged the time spent comparing the two texts…Collapse

expressisverbis
Rachel Waddington
Thomas Pfann
Marijke Singer
Liviu-Lee Roth
Christopher Schröder
Christine Andersen

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Absolutely not Mar 21, 2022

If you can find the file easily.

expressisverbis
Recep Kurt

Nikolay Novitskiy
Nikolay Novitskiy  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:34
Member (2018)
English to Russian
No additional charge needed Mar 22, 2022

Perhaps the client wants you to translate the same file differently? I would suggest you ask them.

If you use CAT-tools, this file should be stored in your TM. So you can apply the new requirements the client asks and modify the file.

And I think that no addidtional charge needed. I would have rather applied my editing rate here.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 08:34
Romanian to English
+ ...
A different approach Mar 22, 2022

I encounter this type of scenario, at least 2-3 times/year, with documents coming from the government.

Each time I charge them the full price of the translation.

If I were you, I would charge the client the full price of the translation and if he objects, I would ask for a fee (your rate/hour) to compare the whole new text with the previous version.

Good luck,
Lee

Renée van Bijsterveld
Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Something to consider Mar 22, 2022

Many agencies stipulate in their confidentiality clauses that all material related to projects (including TMs) should be deleted after delivery. So, would this company have wanted you to keep the original translation?
Just a thought that came up...

Jorge Payan
Anette Hilgendag

Manuel Aburto
Nicaragua
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
March 22nd Mar 22, 2022

Firstly, I would like to say thank you for all your comments and suggestions.

Secondly, I am fully aware that I cannot charge again as a regular translation, however, I would like to know if it is Ok. if I charge it as a proofreading job, because the client sent me the very same document (37 pages) in a different format and he was not sure if it was the same document I translated for home five years ago, so although I did not make any translation I did spend sometime comparing both
... See more

Secondly, I am fully aware that I cannot charge again as a regular translation, however, I would like to know if it is Ok. if I charge it as a proofreading job, because the client sent me the very same document (37 pages) in a different format and he was not sure if it was the same document I translated for home five years ago, so although I did not make any translation I did spend sometime comparing both documents to confirme if the latter was the same document sent 5 years ago.

Once again, thank you for all your feedback.
Collapse

Rachel Waddington
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
That's different Mar 22, 2022

Manuel Aburto wrote:

Secondly, I am fully aware that I cannot charge again as a regular translation, however, I would like to know if it is Ok. if I charge it as a proofreading job, because the client sent me the very same document (37 pages) in a different format and he was not sure if it was the same document I translated for home five years ago, so although I did not make any translation I did spend sometime comparing both documents to confirme if the latter was the same document sent 5 years ago.

Once again, thank you for all your feedback.

That's different then ... if you didn't know that the texts were the same you should definitely charge for your time.

[Edited at 2022-03-22 18:28 GMT]

Kevin Fulton
Christine Andersen
Liviu-Lee Roth

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:34
Japanese to English
+ ...
Additional fee Mar 24, 2022

I think that this would depend on how current the customer is. If they hadn't contacted me in the last five years, I would charge maybe $25.00 for the favor. If they were a current customer, I would do it for free. If they wanted extensive rewrites or explanation, they should be charged.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I charge an additional fee to a customer that requests a translation previously made (5 year)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »