Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:21
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 15, 2005

I have now been twice required by an agency to do a translation for them using Transit Satellite PE. I have encountered the following problems, which they do not appear to have an answer to. Therefore, I would like to ask if anyone knows if any of them can be solved.

1. I live in Germany and use a German keyboard. Transit Satellite PE uses an English keyboard, meaning that I have to guess which letters on my German keyboard to type in order to get various punctuation signs. Thi
... See more
I have now been twice required by an agency to do a translation for them using Transit Satellite PE. I have encountered the following problems, which they do not appear to have an answer to. Therefore, I would like to ask if anyone knows if any of them can be solved.

1. I live in Germany and use a German keyboard. Transit Satellite PE uses an English keyboard, meaning that I have to guess which letters on my German keyboard to type in order to get various punctuation signs. This is very tedious. Is there any way of customizing Transit to use the German keyboard?

2. The second translation I did using Transit definitely had quite a number of sentences that were matches or near matches to sentences in the first translation. However, when I did the second translation, Transit did not bring up one single match or fuzzy match! The only way I could check what terminology I had used the week before was to look it up on paper in the file!

3. The third major problem I had was that I could not have both the Fuzzy-match box and the source language box on the screen at the same time. If I clicked on anything in the Fuzzy-match box, the source language box would disappear, so that, once I had altered anything in the target language box, I had to retain in my head what the original had said. However, if I managed to get the source language box back, I could not get the Fuzzy-match box on the screen at the same time.

Any suggestions, other than not to undertake any more projects using this tool?

Astrid
Collapse

Ilde Grimaldi
Ilde Grimaldi  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
possible solution for item 2 Jun 15, 2005

About item two, the solution should be the following:

from inside the project, select the following:

Project > Settings > Reference material

you can choose for example Add project or Add folder. The folder would be the one created for the project previously delivered.

I refrain from telling what I personally think of the (terrible) way I deem Transit handles the "memories", whic
... See more

you can choose for example Add project or Add folder. The folder would be the one created for the project previously delivered.

I refrain from telling what I personally think of the (terrible) way I deem Transit handles the "memories", which here are not a single file like for Trados, Déjà Vu, SDLX, Wordfast and other CAT tools.

[Edited at 2005-06-15 16:33]
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
keyboard solutions Jun 15, 2005

Hi!
If you are using XPSP2, you can load multiple keyboards suiting your requirements. To access them as normal keyboards, you can get pre-printed transparent foils( Leipziger make originally)which you can also get at almost any local vendor, like I got mine from Conrad Elektronik. check also online www.conrad.de . Then using the Alt + left lower shift keys you can alternate amongst various keyboard layouts, t
... See more
Hi!
If you are using XPSP2, you can load multiple keyboards suiting your requirements. To access them as normal keyboards, you can get pre-printed transparent foils( Leipziger make originally)which you can also get at almost any local vendor, like I got mine from Conrad Elektronik. check also online www.conrad.de . Then using the Alt + left lower shift keys you can alternate amongst various keyboard layouts, that correspond to your physical keyboard with the suitable printed foil. Good luck
Brandis

[Edited at 2005-06-15 16:34]
Collapse

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
solution to third problem Jun 15, 2005

Hi Astrid,

This might be a solution to your third problem. In the toolbar go to (the German equivalent of) Options > Profile > Settings > then the "Transit Layout" tab > click on "1" (my normal setting). This will allow you to see the Source, Target, Dictionary, Scratchpad and Fuzzy index. You can customize the display by choosing 2 to 5.

Will look for solutions to your other problems...
Marcus

Bruno1011
Bruno1011
German to Spanish
+ ...
About second problem Jun 15, 2005

Ilde said:

I can not find this option in my Transit Satellite PE. Isn't it maybe Transit XV ??

However, there is a way to solve problem two. Just copy the language pair files from the previous project (look for them in the project folder) and paste them in the new project folder
... See more
Ilde said:

I can not find this option in my Transit Satellite PE. Isn't it maybe Transit XV ??

However, there is a way to solve problem two. Just copy the language pair files from the previous project (look for them in the project folder) and paste them in the new project folder (renaming them if both projects have same file names).
Collapse

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Very nice teamwork! Jun 15, 2005

:clapping:

I hope it helps you, Astrid.

[Edited at 2005-06-15 18:28]

Ilde Grimaldi
Ilde Grimaldi  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
yes, sorry, it was Transit XV Jun 15, 2005

yes, sorry, it was Transit XV

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all the suggestions Jun 15, 2005

Thank you very much, everyone, for the various suggestions. I will try them all out as soon as the agency sends me another of these Transit Satellite projects, and post the results in this thread.

Astrid

Robin Salmon (X)
Robin Salmon (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 03:21
German to English
+ ...
My experience Jun 16, 2005

I had a few problems getting speech marks to appear and the following suggestion from the agency helped (Transit 3.0 Satellite PE):

With ALT + Shift when you're in the target (EN) window, you'll probably swap to your normal keyboard distribution. Otherwise, you can use the Character picker in Transit Options menu.

Robin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems occurring with Transit Satellite PE

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »