Possible to translate Freehand file with Trados?
Thread poster: laurenzze2000
laurenzze2000
laurenzze2000
Local time: 07:27
German to French
Sep 14, 2006

Hello!

Does anybody know if there is a possibility to translate a Freehand (*.fh11) file for Mac with Trados? I know the CopyFlow tool for QuarkXPress - is there a similar way of extracting text from Freehand11 files so that it can be translated with Trados 6.5.5 441? I tried to open the Freehand file in Adobe Illustrator 10.0.3 for PC, but it didn't work (unknown format). My idea was to open it in Illustrator an use Sysfilter for Illustrator to export the text. But as I wasn't able
... See more
Hello!

Does anybody know if there is a possibility to translate a Freehand (*.fh11) file for Mac with Trados? I know the CopyFlow tool for QuarkXPress - is there a similar way of extracting text from Freehand11 files so that it can be translated with Trados 6.5.5 441? I tried to open the Freehand file in Adobe Illustrator 10.0.3 for PC, but it didn't work (unknown format). My idea was to open it in Illustrator an use Sysfilter for Illustrator to export the text. But as I wasn't able to even open the file I couldn't try it. Do you have some experience with Freehand/Trados?
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:27
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
A tiny pointer... Sep 15, 2006

Laurence Lo Giudice wrote:
Does anybody know if there is a possibility to translate a Freehand (*.fh11) file for Mac with Trados?

In FH11, you can extract all text to a plaintext file. The extracted text is nice to have, but then you must find some way to put the extracted text's translation back into the FH file... and you're gonna have to do this manually (or semimanually).

I wrote a script for FH11 which you might want to take a look at, but I only used it once or twice and didn't test it comprehensively.

http://www.leuce.com/tempfile/TM4FH.zip

Let me know if it works.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible to translate Freehand file with Trados?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »