Thread poster: Fernando Santos
Fernando Santos
Fernando Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:51
English to Portuguese
Aug 1, 2006

Hello!

I would like to know if there is any problem of compatibilty between Trados 7 and Trados 6.5 Freelance.

Regards,
Fernando Santos

[Edited at 2006-08-02 15:00]

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:51
German to English
+ ...
Have answers sent via your profile Aug 2, 2006

Hi Fernando,
I can't help you with your question. However, I suggest that your should edit your post and remove your e-mail address. There are special programs trawling the web to find legitimate addresses that are then targeted by spammers - you'll be inundated!
Cheers,
Jill

[Edited at 2006-08-02 04:29]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
More precisely? Aug 2, 2006

Hi Fernando,
It would help if you could provide more details as to what you're looking to do, exactly.

Generally, T6.5 cannot open TMs created using T7; exchanging export files is no problem.

There may be some issues with TTX files created under T7.

Best regards,
Ralf

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
No initiating private discussions here, please. Aug 2, 2006

Fernando Santos wrote:

P.S. Please reply to ***@******, thanks!

No, please don't.

One of the main purposes of a forum like this one is to enable others to see the replies that were given, even years later. This is something that all users of a forum should implicitly agree to.

And Fernando may not be the only one interested in this community's observations regarding T65/T7 compatibility. As a matter of fact, I am very interested.

Taking the discussion out of the realm of this forum into a private chat robs the community of the benefits of such a discussion. Better to have the result stored here for others to review and peruse, I think.

Thanks,
Benjamin

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Right! Aug 2, 2006

Better to have the result stored here for others to review and peruse, I think.

Precisely.

Best, Ralf

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
TTX issues Aug 2, 2006

Hi Ralf and others,
I am interested in this one too as an agency insists I work in 7.0 and not 6.5 for a particular job. I don't understand why and they just say that 6.5 would/could mess up the formatting. However they also said they were amazed I could open the ttx they sent in 6.5, which does not give me confidence in their information.
Thanks
Gillian

Fernando Santos
Fernando Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Answer to my question Aug 2, 2006

Fernando Santos wrote:

Hello!

I would like to know if there is any problem of compatibility between Trados 7 and Trados 6.5 Freelance.

Regards,
Fernando Santos

[Edited at 2006-08-02 15:00]

I found the answer to my question in the Online Support Center site of SDL/Trados; https://support.sdl.com/

Yes, however, if you are upgrading from TRADOS 6.5 or earlier versions to TRADOS 7, there are some important guidelines that you should follow:

TRADOS 7 translation memory compatibility with older versions of TRADOS

Translation memories created in version 7.0 cannot be opened in earlier versions of Translator's Workbench (such as 6.5 and earlier). This is due to the support for new languages but also to being able to store Unicode content in any language in translation memory metadata fields such as text and attribute fields.
By default, export files are now encoded in Unicode (UTF-8) in order to support the new languages and other Unicode content in translation memories. These export files can only be imported into version 7.0 translation memories and cannot be exchanged with users of older versions. A backward-compatible export format is still available for use with older versions by choosing the file type "Translator's Workbench (2.x-6.x)"; however this file format does not support any of the new Unicode-related enhancements.
Translation memories created in 6.5 and earlier can be opened by and used in version 7 of Translator's Workbench. In order to benefit from the new Unicode-related feature enhancements, it is necessary to export the 6.5 or earlier translation memories in version 6.x or earlier and then import them into newly created version 7.0 translation memories.
TRADOS 7 compatibility with MultiTerm

TRADOS 7 is compatible with the following MultiTerm versions: MultiTerm 7, MultiTerm iX (version 6.x) and MultiTerm 5.5. To avail of the new terminology features such as active terminology recognition across several terminology databases and quick term entry from Translator's Workbench and TagEditor, you must use MultiTerm 7 Desktop. TRADOS recommends installing MultiTerm 7 Desktop before installing TRADOS 7.
Parallel installations of TRADOS 7 and older versions of TRADOS

During the upgrade period, you may want to have different versions of the TRADOS translation solution co-exist on your computer. In this situation, TRADOS recommends the following:
In general, you can install TRADOS 7 on the same computer as previous versions, provided that each version is installed to a separate folder. The default installation location for each version of the software is different.
Do not use different versions of the software at the same time. For example, close Translator's Workbench 6.5 before registering and opening Translator's Workbench 7.0.
Do not run different versions of the same component at the same time. If you are using several tools at once, do not work with mixed versions of the software. For example, if you are translating files in TagEditor, use TagEditor 7.0 with Translator's Workbench 7.0. Do not use TagEditor 7.0 with Translator's Workbench 6.5 and vice versa.
We recommend that you use the same version of the software to translate files from start to finish. Migrating files from an earlier to a later version of the software when the project has already started may result in data inconsistencies.
When alternating between two different versions, you must register the software you are about to use by executing a special self-registration batch file. The batch file for each version is accessed from the Start menu on your computer. To register version 7.x of the software, go to the Start menu on your computer and point to the program folder for TRADOS 7. In the program folder, select Register to execute the batch file for the version 7.0 software. Once the register batch file has executed successfully, the software is ready for use.
TRADOS 7 compatibility with TeamWorks 2.0.1 and GXT 6.4

TRADOS recommends that you continue using TRADOS 6.5 when working on projects generated by TRADOS TeamWorks 2.0.1 and GXT 6.4. However, using TRADOS 7 on the client side is also supported when working on TRADOStag-based files (TTX) generated by TeamWorks 2.0.1 or GXT 6.4, except RC, Windows 32 Binary and Microsoft Word documents following the new TRADOStag workflow in version 7.0.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Mysterious ways Aug 2, 2006

Fernando Santos wrote:

on the client side

Now, if only we knew what THAT means. Why would the client want to work with Trados 7 when they are the ones who created the files in another version? Or do they mean client as in "client/server system"?

Puzzled,
Benjamin

[Edited at 2006-08-02 15:31]

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Client/server Aug 2, 2006

tectranslate wrote:
Now, if only we knew what THAT means. Why would the client want to work with Trados 7 when they are the ones who created the files in another version? Or do they mean client as in "client/server system"?

Puzzled,
Benjamin

[Edited at 2006-08-02 15:31]

Yup, you guessed it yourself.

Since the rest of the sentence reads "when working on TRADOStag-based files (TTX) generated by TeamWorks 2.0.1 or GXT 6.4", these are server side Trados software, it should be clear that the refer to client versions like Trados FL.

/Jan

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
7 vs. 6.5 Aug 2, 2006

I.e., we are not a single step further in our quest for knowledge regarding interoperability between Trados 7 and 6.5, correct?

B

P.S.: I'm not talking about TM compatibility here - I know how to create a TM compatible to 6.5 (or earlier) in 7.5, but what about .TTX files...?

[Edited at 2006-08-02 17:45]

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
There are differences between the TTX formats Aug 2, 2006

As far as I know, Trados introduced some new (mostly redundant) elements to the TTX file format in version 7. However, these elements should not affect the translation of tagged files, e.g. html and xml, since older versions of Tag Editor usually ignore TTX elements that they cannot "understand." If you want to be absolutely sure, simply process the same file with Trados 6.5 and 7.0 and then run a document comparison of both the TTX files and the target files. You'll probably find out that the T... See more
As far as I know, Trados introduced some new (mostly redundant) elements to the TTX file format in version 7. However, these elements should not affect the translation of tagged files, e.g. html and xml, since older versions of Tag Editor usually ignore TTX elements that they cannot "understand." If you want to be absolutely sure, simply process the same file with Trados 6.5 and 7.0 and then run a document comparison of both the TTX files and the target files. You'll probably find out that the TTX files are different, but the target files should be the same.

Olaf

[Edited at 2006-08-02 20:46]
Collapse

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
My ttx is already in 7 Aug 3, 2006

and I would then edit again in 6.5 - would that mess something up?

Gillian

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Problems Aug 3, 2006

Gillian Noameshie wrote:

and I would then edit again in 6.5 - would that mess something up?

Gillian

We had such a case recently where we inadvertently sent a .ttx file created in 7.1 from a Word document to a translator who only had 6.5.

It turned out to be a real disaster - not only was the translator unable to re-open the .ttx file once she'd saved her changes halfway through and closed it, but the resulting file could not be opened in Trados 7.1, either.

I then worked my magic (or should we say "trickery") on the file headers, which enabled me to open the file and even save it as a Word file in the target language (!), but the file was damaged:

The client complained to us about being unable to print the Word file and it turned out that there was something wrong with the internal structure of it that would prevent printing or even saving in a different format such as RTF.

I think how Trados handles these .ttx files is unsatisfactory - I think if 6.5 cannot work with 7.1 TTXes, it should display a message to that effect once you try to open such a file.

But there is no official word on interoperability, no documentation, no statements from any officials, just us, the users, exchanging our limited experiences with this issue.

Benjamin

[Edited at 2006-08-03 09:01]

Gabriela Mejías
Gabriela Mejías  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you!!! Sep 24, 2006

I am one of the desperate "others" who is eagerly reading what is posted in this forum. I was asked to work with 7.0 and don't want to unistall 6.5... and I can't make them work! Something must be wrong with installment, I think. To make things worse, I was also asked to work with SDL Teamworks. So please, store all results here, to help "ignorant" people in this matters like me!
Warmly,
Gaby

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Better to have the result stored here for others to review and peruse, I think.

Precisely.

Best, Ralf

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compatibility between Trados 7 and Trados 6.5 Freelance

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »