MARCELA RUIZ
MARCELA RUIZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 4, 2006

Hi everybody!
I'm using Trados Freelance 6.5 with Windows XP and I have a TM that has been growing suspiciously big ...
I had not realized that until it grew almost 1 Mb with only one project that was not that big ...

What can I do to fix it? I thought of starting all over again, i.e. take original TM and run all the projects processed with it ever since. Of course, they are quite a few ....and I tried reorganization but remained the same ...

So, I would li
... See more
Hi everybody!
I'm using Trados Freelance 6.5 with Windows XP and I have a TM that has been growing suspiciously big ...
I had not realized that until it grew almost 1 Mb with only one project that was not that big ...

What can I do to fix it? I thought of starting all over again, i.e. take original TM and run all the projects processed with it ever since. Of course, they are quite a few ....and I tried reorganization but remained the same ...

So, I would like to know if there is a more efficient way to do it.
TIA
Marcela
Collapse

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 18:55
German to English
+ ...
Problem ? Apr 4, 2006

Hello,

can you give a little more details of your problem.

It is normal, that your tm needs a little bit space to store your translations.

Hans

MARCELA RUIZ
Argentina
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TM Size Apr 4, 2006

Hi, Hans!
The thing is that the ENG TM is getting too big, while other languages are not that big...
For example, between one project of 2000 words and the other, it grew 10Mb ...
In fact the ENG TM is 24Mb and other lang. is just 5Mb

I started to suspect there is something wrong with it.

What I usually do is the following:
upon creation of the Workbench I used the Merge option and marked "Allow multiple ..."
then, when the translator deli
... See more
Hi, Hans!
The thing is that the ENG TM is getting too big, while other languages are not that big...

upon creation of the Workbench I used the Merge option and marked "Allow multiple ..."
then, when the translator delivers the project I import it with "leave unchanged" existing TUs,
If I have to import a TM that I know it's OK, I use "overwrite" (eg when I import it on a PC I had not used for a while)

I guess I'm doing something wrong, or the TM is somehow "corrupted" ... don't know what to think ...

Any help welcome!
Collapse

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Upps Apr 4, 2006

MARCELA RUIZ wrote:

Hi, Hans!

It seems so,

You should check the numerb of translation units in your tm.
I beleave they will much more than in the other languages.

upon creation of the Workbench I used the Merge option
and marked "Allow multiple ..."

? Do you import an existing memory into an empty one ?
Why do you use muliple translation ?
This will mean, that you can have different translations for the same source. Normally this is not necessary.

then, when the translator delivers the project I import it with "leave unchanged" existing TUs,

If I have to import a TM that I know it's OK, I use "overwrite" (eg when I import it on a PC I had not used for a while)

You should take a look ont the behavior of this options in the documentation. After this you can test it by searching the tm with the maintenance function or in an export file.

I'm sure, that you will find a lot of double transaltion units in there.

Maybe you should deactivate the multiple translations. The rest seems ok.

Regards

Hans

Matthias Quaschning-Kirsch
Matthias Quaschning-Kirsch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Swedish to German
+ ...
TM size Apr 5, 2006

Hello,

anyway, 24 MB sounds a little strange, and I don't know whether doublettes can be the only explanation.
What you can do is to export all translation units into a .txt file via File > Export, then create a new TM and import the .txt file via File > Import. Usually, you do not need to change any of the preferences for the im- and export. Only confirm with OK.
Then compare the size of the old and the nex TM. If the nex one is considerably smaller, something else migh
... See more
Hello,

anyway, 24 MB sounds a little strange, and I don't know whether doublettes can be the only explanation.
What you can do is to export all translation units into a .txt file via File > Export, then create a new TM and import the .txt file via File > Import. Usually, you do not need to change any of the preferences for the im- and export. Only confirm with OK.
Then compare the size of the old and the nex TM. If the nex one is considerably smaller, something else might have been wrong with your old TM.
But don't be afraid. That's all normal. Not even God knows all those astonishing secrets which we discover every day working with Trados...

Kind regards,
Matthias
Collapse

MARCELA RUIZ
Argentina
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Multiple translation units Apr 5, 2006

I cannot desactivate "allow multiple ..." because I do have multiple translations for the same segment. Besides, I always check this option and had never had problems before.
I guess the TM got corrupted somewhere between imports/exports translators/editors .... but guess there is no easy way to solve it....

tnx!

DSC wrote:

MARCELA RUIZ wrote:

Hi, Hans!

It seems so,

You should check the numerb of translation units in your tm.
I beleave they will much more than in the other languages.

upon creation of the Workbench I used the Merge option
and marked "Allow multiple ..."

? Do you import an existing memory into an empty one ?
Why do you use muliple translation ?
This will mean, that you can have different translations for the same source. Normally this is not necessary.

You should take a look ont the behavior of this options in the documentation. After this you can test it by searching the tm with the maintenance function or in an export file.

I'm sure, that you will find a lot of double transaltion units in there.

Maybe you should deactivate the multiple translations. The rest seems ok.

Regards

Hans

MARCELA RUIZ
Argentina
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
already did Apr 5, 2006

Tnx Matthias, but I already did this and it was of no help....
I think I'd better get the original TM and run all the 28 projects it has inside it again ....

If anyone has a better idea, I'm all ears!!
Tnx
Marcela

MatthiasQKirsch wrote:

Hello,

Then compare the size of the old and the nex TM. If the nex one is considerably smaller, something else might have been wrong with your old TM.
But don't be afraid. That's all normal. Not even God knows all those astonishing secrets which we discover every day working with Trados...

Kind regards,
Matthias

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Heartsome tmx editor Apr 5, 2006

I maintain my TMs using this tool. You can test is for free for a month.
http://www.heartsome.net

There is also a free tool, called Olifant. http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/

After exporting to tmx and runnig through them, you might be abce to diagnose the cause of the p
... See more

There is also a free tool, called Olifant. http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/

After exporting to tmx and runnig through them, you might be abce to diagnose the cause of the problem, perhaps...

HTH

Antonin
Collapse

MARCELA RUIZ
Argentina
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tnx!! Apr 5, 2006

I'll try!!!
tnx a million!
Marcela

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

After exporting to tmx and runnig through them, you might be abce to diagnose the cause of the problem, perhaps...

HTH

Antonin

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Export format Apr 6, 2006

Hello,

did you check the txt format from the export files which you get from your translator ?

Maybe they use Trados 7 and sent you the new txt format (it's unicode). If you import this, you will get a lot of new tu's, because the coding is different and Traods 6 will create new tu's for each tu which looks a little bit different.

Have you checked the number of translation units in the memories ?

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM size

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »