Thread poster: Conroy Fritz
Conroy Fritz
Conroy Fritz  Identity Verified
Paraguay
Local time: 04:46
German to English
Mar 29, 2006

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a way to save a file that was translated in Word (using TRADOS 6.5) as a Tag Editor file? I will be collaborating with a few other translators on a project, and the organizer requested that I save my work in Tag Editor soas to be compatible with their SDLX versions. Tag Editor doesn't seem to like the ".doc" suffix. I tried changing the suffix to ".ttx" and ".bif", but it didn't like these either.

Thanks in advance.

María Teresa Taylor Oliver
María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 03:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Saving the *.doc file as an HTML file? Mar 29, 2006

The only thing I can think of is saving the Word document as an HTML file. NOT changing the extension, mind you, but opening the Word document, going to File > Save As... and in "Save as Type", choosing the "Web Page (*.html, *.htm)" option.

I know I've translated HTML files with Tag Editor before, with no problem at all. Now, those were HTML files from the beginning, not converted Word files, but still...

Hope that helps...
See more
The only thing I can think of is saving the Word document as an HTML file. NOT changing the extension, mind you, but opening the Word document, going to File > Save As... and in "Save as Type", choosing the "Web Page (*.html, *.htm)" option.

I know I've translated HTML files with Tag Editor before, with no problem at all. Now, those were HTML files from the beginning, not converted Word files, but still...

Hope that helps
Collapse

Carsten Behrend
Carsten Behrend  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:46
English to German
+ ...
Try this one... Mar 29, 2006

Correct me, if I'm wrong or didn't get your gist, but this should help:

(1) Take your original Word file and load it into TagEditor. Process the Word file under TagEditor and be sure to apply the memory which was created during your initial translation under Word. It should be an easy task as your memory will turn up a lot (if not entirely) of high ranking fuzzy matches. Given an unstructured and footnote absent Word document with clear cut formatting (which is a tough precon
... See more
Correct me, if I'm wrong or didn't get your gist, but this should help:

(1) Take your original Word file and load it into TagEditor. Process the Word file under TagEditor and be sure to apply the memory which was created during your initial translation under Word. It should be an easy task as your memory will turn up a lot (if not entirely) of high ranking fuzzy matches. Given an unstructured and footnote absent Word document with clear cut formatting (which is a tough precondition - I know, I know!), TagEditor will run through the translation in a blink of an eye.
(2) Now, do save your document in TagEditor as follows: Go to menu File, Save bilingual file as and select ttx as file type. Done!

HTH
Carsten

[Edited at 2006-03-29 09:16]
Collapse

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:46
Member (2003)
German to French
Version 6.5 Mar 29, 2006

Hi,

If I remember correctly, the support of Word files in TagEditor was introduced in the version 7 of Trados. I don't think you can handle Word files in TE with version 6.5....
But if I'm wrong, you just have to follow Carsten's advice.

Sylvain

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
doc > rtf Mar 29, 2006

Conroy Fritz wrote:

Tag Editor doesn't seem to like the ".doc" suffix. I tried changing the suffix to ".ttx" and ".bif", but it didn't like these either.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Conroy,

TagEditor can't handle doc files - but why don't you open the doc file as usual in Word and save it as rtf. TagEditor accepts rtf files.

BTW, the ttx suffix is just an identifier for a bilingual file in TagEditor, i.e. when you have translated an rtf file named abcd.rtf in the TagEditor and save as bilingual, you get abcd.rtf.ttx. You cannot simply put the suffix .ttx manually to a file.

When using the TagEditor, you can also easily leave the usual Trados clean-up process aside, as TagEditor gives you the option to save "target language only" - and the result is just the same.

Good luck!

Erik

Edited: TagEditor in Trados 6.5 (which I use) can not handle doc files - very possible that this improved for version 7.0.

Erik Hansson ( SFÖ )
Technical translator DE-SV
Hansson Übersetzungen GmbH
Am Birkenwäldchen 38
D-01900 Bretnig-Hauswalde, Germany
Phone +49 - 3 59 52 - 321 07
Fax +49 - 3 59 52 - 322 02
E-Mail [email protected]
Internet www.hansson.de
Internet www.technical-translators.net
Internet www.wintitus.de
ProZ profile http://www.proz.com/pro/21654

[Edited at 2006-03-29 09:11]

María Teresa Taylor Oliver
María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 03:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
RTF should do the trick! Mar 29, 2006

Erik Hansson wrote:

Hi Conroy,

TagEditor can't handle doc files - but why don't you open the doc file as usual in Word and save it as rtf. TagEditor accepts rtf files.

Ah yes! Converting a DOC file to RTF is indeed the way to go. I was also going to suggest converting it to TXT, but of course that would extract only the text, not the formatting, images or whatever.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Saving a Word file (translated inTRADOS) in Tag Editor

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »