Trados issue - is it possible to export keyed or indexed terms
Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 17:33
English to German
+ ...
Jan 31, 2006

from a given Tageditor file. The actual case is, it is about converting and optimizing a searching machine with various product groups and lists and the individual item are indexed with a number ( as though they are from a database). Now I am not alway in a position to find the right translation that is optimal for a search maching, so that the words have to be recoined in a manner that a potential user would randomly enter a keyphrase and the search engine leads to the right link. In this datab... See more
from a given Tageditor file. The actual case is, it is about converting and optimizing a searching machine with various product groups and lists and the individual item are indexed with a number ( as though they are from a database). Now I am not alway in a position to find the right translation that is optimal for a search maching, so that the words have to be recoined in a manner that a potential user would randomly enter a keyphrase and the search engine leads to the right link. In this database all words are numbered. I am using Trados tag-editor. My outsourcer requires a list of all those words/ terms that were difficult to translate or result in an unprecise translation term (proximity clause). He needs this list, now I am confronted with the technical trouble of automating this "export definition" (Target) process. Th eoutsourcer had demanded Trados working and it will be done in Trados. I consider myself to be a trados professional, but now I am confronted with the trouble of routinely exporting such terms (proximity type - that may or may not fit the required target expectation). Did oversee something. Can someone help me. I call on experts. Best regards, BrandisCollapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Okapi? Jan 31, 2006

Not sure if I understand exactly what you want; but perhaps it is can be formulated as "filtering by atrributes of TM items"? If so, the Olifant freeware found on http://okapi.sourceforge.net might be able to help you (when applied on the tmx export).

HTH

Antonin

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados issue - put in simpler manner Jan 31, 2006

Hi! Thank you for willingness.
the project I have is a database of products, the listing is of keyword weight (importance) as it is a product&services search engine. 2) the outsourcer has sent me large files, of which not every translation of the keyword (source) may fit the target (the supposed to be best) translation. In this process the individual lines or segments are numbered like a1, a2, a3 etc., whereupon I am to send a list of those words or segments, which I have actually transla
... See more
Hi! Thank you for willingness.
the project I have is a database of products, the listing is of keyword weight (importance) as it is a product&services search engine. 2) the outsourcer has sent me large files, of which not every translation of the keyword (source) may fit the target (the supposed to be best) translation. In this process the individual lines or segments are numbered like a1, a2, a3 etc., whereupon I am to send a list of those words or segments, which I have actually translated but am not happy with, boarder level troubles. This list will be updated by someone else and will be inserted by someone else into the search enging. Now my problem is to routinise the export of such individual terms (source where my target translation was not satisfactory) to an excelsheet including the keynumber as mentioned above ( a1. a2, a3 etc., ) Now I have a list that I do not wish to retype that lot into an excel sheet. Does trados offer a facility to routinize "translation unsatisfactory and export to excel sheet - doubtful (bordervalue translaton)function kind of a thing" and send this to the outsourcer. I hope you understand what I am trying to say. Best Brandis

[Edited at 2006-01-31 18:15]
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Now, as I see it Jan 31, 2006

there are two problems:

(1) do you want trados to recognise the good trasnlations from bad?

(2) exporting filtered "rows in database" which comply with a certain criterion (like your marking them bad/good)

I can imagine something to automate (2) (it should be more or less straightforward, even if it may take some time to write the code, depending on your circumstances); while I am not sure if (1) is at all possible.

"Marked with numbers a1,...
... See more
there are two problems:

(1) do you want trados to recognise the good trasnlations from bad?

(2) exporting filtered "rows in database" which comply with a certain criterion (like your marking them bad/good)

I can imagine something to automate (2) (it should be more or less straightforward, even if it may take some time to write the code, depending on your circumstances); while I am not sure if (1) is at all possible.

"Marked with numbers a1,..." means in an excel column?

Antonin
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
some correction Jan 31, 2006

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

there are two problems:

(1) do you want trados to recognise the good trasnlations from bad? no. I have a choice of judging that border quality of translated segments, that I wish to export to a list in excel

(2) exporting filtered "rows in database" which comply with a certain criterion (like your marking them bad/good) as already explained above. The a1, a2 are some reference but do not refer to excel, but the datebase internal numbers, that provice reference to an external row/column in an excel sheet, so thay can be equally xyz200, xyz2001 and so on.

"Marked with numbers a1,..." means in an excel column?

Antonin
Best Brandis

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
So let me repeat: from an "abstract" viewpoint Jan 31, 2006

If we imagine the Trados memory as a large table, where each row is one item, and two columns are the "source" and "translation", you have some numbering in one of the other columns (say, "numbers"), and a certain criterion in another column (say, "quality"), and want to get an Excel table in which only rows for which a condition ("quality" = bad) is true are inluded, and the values of "source", "translation", and "number" are written.

Is that the substance of your problem?
... See more
If we imagine the Trados memory as a large table, where each row is one item, and two columns are the "source" and "translation", you have some numbering in one of the other columns (say, "numbers"), and a certain criterion in another column (say, "quality"), and want to get an Excel table in which only rows for which a condition ("quality" = bad) is true are inluded, and the values of "source", "translation", and "number" are written.

Is that the substance of your problem?

Antonin
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The export function I am searching for Jan 31, 2006

Halo Antonin,
If you get into the programmatic area, I get confused, where as I solely judge whether a segment translated by me is personally satisfactory, yea or no. Upon no, I require some choice to export the segment using it´s rowid to an excel table. This gives atleast in theory (ref. outsourcer) a good overview of what is done and what needs improvement or recorrection, which again will be sent to some Quality circle and some general agreement about the translated segment will be r
... See more
Halo Antonin,
If you get into the programmatic area, I get confused, where as I solely judge whether a segment translated by me is personally satisfactory, yea or no. Upon no, I require some choice to export the segment using it´s rowid to an excel table. This gives atleast in theory (ref. outsourcer) a good overview of what is done and what needs improvement or recorrection, which again will be sent to some Quality circle and some general agreement about the translated segment will be reached and I get the cream + / fired back - of the effect, which forms a basis to judge the overall project advancement. So in this process in order to make it easier for me within my scope of functionality I am in search of some functionality that enables me to export those segments ( with their ids) to some excel tables. May be I could mark these dissatisfying translation segments in order to be able to export. I am not a programmer like you to understand your jargon. I think I am more clear in reflecting my trouble now. What to do please. I was thinking about generating an alternate TM and export all those pre-marked bad translated segments to a delimited .txt file. But due to the size of the work and in order not to lose too much time on experimenting I turned to this Forum for expert adv. I am certainly not a position to seek a programmatic solution that might further cost me time and energy on experimenting. Best regards, Brandis
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
First of all, I am not a programmer, only a long-time user Jan 31, 2006

and I was using a description which meant ans having nothing to do with programming, but only the things you want to do. Sory if I sound hard to understand.

Second, I recommend you to export to tmx, download that Okapi thing I spoke about in my first answer, and load the tmx export into it - you will see the segments in it, and you will be able to "flag" some of them (they have small squares which you can check ot leave unchecked) and then you can save the checked (or unchecked) seg
... See more
and I was using a description which meant ans having nothing to do with programming, but only the things you want to do. Sory if I sound hard to understand.

Second, I recommend you to export to tmx, download that Okapi thing I spoke about in my first answer, and load the tmx export into it - you will see the segments in it, and you will be able to "flag" some of them (they have small squares which you can check ot leave unchecked) and then you can save the checked (or unchecked) segments only.

That might be an answeer to your immediate need, or so it seems from what you are telling me.

HTH

Antonin
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That sounds very constructive Jan 31, 2006

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

Second, I recommend you to export to tmx, download that Okapi thing I spoke about in my first answer, and load the tmx export into it - you will see the segments in it, and you will be able to "flag" some of them (they have small squares which you can check ot leave unchecked) and then you can save the checked (or unchecked) segments only.

That might be an answeer to your immediate need, or so it seems from what you are telling me.

HTH

Antonin
Thank you I shall try it, but for this round due to time limitation, I will have to live with the whatever outcome, and shall inform you of this certainly .Best regards once again Brandis

[Edited at 2006-01-31 23:15]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados issue - is it possible to export keyed or indexed terms

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »